PDA

View Full Version : Is it too HOT for the elk to start rutting...?

T.S. Allen
09-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Its been in the mid-80's and only getting down to the mid-40's at night in southern WY. Has anyone been out and heard any bugles or seen any rutting activity? I am heading out next week but a little worried about the heat.

ssliger
09-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Was out Saturday evening, did not hear any bugles. I did see a group of cows with a bull. Before this weekend I was just seeing bulls in their bachelor groups.

T.S. Allen
09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Ok thanks I am headed down your way taking my wife out on her first elk hunt. First as in she gets to do the shooting. I am gonna hunt 110. Have you ever hunted there? I have recently moved from southeast Idaho to Cheyenne.

ssliger
09-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Have spent more time in the North Platte wilderness area than in the Savage Run wilderness area. The best time to hunt that area is towards the end of the season with some snow on the ground. It gets very crowded, especially west of Pelton Creek. You would be amazed on how many people get elk out there by driving around. You drive by these camps and they have whole elk hanging in the tree. Where we got ours there was no way in he@# he was coming out whole. PM me if you want some more info.

T.S. Allen
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
It felt much cooler this morning I don't know about the elk but I am getting sooo excited. Driving the neighbors crazy with all the bugling. I get a few days off next week I hope it turns cold and they kick it up a notch.

Montana
09-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't say rut yet but I spent a weekend filled of close encounters and bugled a bull in 10 minutes after shooting light... They are setting dominance and bugling like crazy.... Could be different 10 miles away though.

ivorytip
09-05-2012, 08:33 PM
they are rutting in idaho, not alot going on but deff got into some. watched a small 6 point working 7 cows. i dont think the heat plays into it, look at new mexico and arizona, those boys are rutting in 100 degree weather.

hvfd21walker
09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
The heat really does not have anything to do with the rut IMO. The elk have to breed about the same time every year for calf survival. Thats just my opinion though. The heat may keep them just to rutting in the evenings.

T.S. Allen
09-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Great I am even more excited now! Thanks for all the information and feedback. I wish all of you the best of luck this season. I am headed out on the 13th or 14th for a few days taking my wife out to hunt for her first elk. I will hope to have some pics.

Old Hunter
09-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Should be cold the first day of ML season this Sat at 12,000ft. It looks like a cold front is moving through.

I may be moving faster than normal to stay warm. :)

T.S. Allen
09-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I will be hunting around 9,500 ft so I am hoping for cooler temps. I am also hunting non-motorized so I will be packing anything we get out on my pack frame.

llp
09-06-2012, 10:32 AM
The elk are rutting, but head to the timber early on the sunny hot days. We had some rain showers Saturday and Sunday and the elk bugled and rutted late into the day, and early in the evening. It was actually fantastic hunting. Saw a definite slow down as the skies cleared early in the week, but the elk are still bugling in the dark.
llp

Vanish
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
It is completely location dependent. I had the exact opposite experience as llp, with the same exact weather. Rain showers on Sat and Sun but never heard a bugle.

OH, I don't see this cold front in the forecast? Granted, we're about 100 miles north of you.

labman
09-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Old Hunter, I am heading SW CO next Friday and heading in Saturday for the week. We are camping at 10,200 and hunting above that what is your opinion on the weather at that time? I am been looking at averages at the closets towns but its not at altitude.

Old Hunter
09-06-2012, 12:39 PM
This shows the weather for where I live. It's 8000ft. I expect at least 20degrees cooler where i'll be hunting. Maybe I should have said cool front. It's been so hot lately. This will seem cold. Anytime it gets below freezing it wakes me up. Of course the real cold come later in the rifle seasons when these lows will be the highs.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Buena+Vista+CO+81211:4:US

Old Hunter
09-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Well, it got cooler. I think it snowed in a few spots.

labman
09-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Is the cold supposed to stay around or is it just for a few days? I live in Oklahoma City we are supposed to see a 20 degree drop tomorrow down to low 80's but back up to early next week.

ivorytip
09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
i wish i had that going on here, yesterday it cooled down to 70sh but next week back to 90

Old Hunter
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, we'll back up next week. Just a weak cold front blowing through.

wapiti66
09-07-2012, 01:04 PM
I was hunting south of Old Hunter this weekend, temps were in the 80s during the days and cooling to only mid 40s at nite. I heard no bugles and saw 6 elk in 2 1/2 days of solid hiking. I saw no fresh rubs and found one small wallow that appeared to be inactive. On sunday evening I had a cow come across the opposite ridge and stopped @ 50 yards so I shot her. Ended my season before it ever started as I had not expected to see much action on this trip, just used it as an excuse to get out town and scout for later on in the season, but I had to take the opportunity when it came. My dad and brother have the same tag so we will be going up after muzzleloaders get done to hunt the last week of archery season. Hopefully the weather has cooled a lot and rutting picks up by then. I may be wrong but it seems the bulls get active up north (wyoming, montana, northern co) much sooner than they do in southern CO, new mexico, and ariz.?? any thoughts on that??

T.S. Allen
09-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Congrats on your kill. I will take a cow any day. I just love the hunt. I don't know much about the rut in other areas so I can't help you there. I was in North Colorado this morning at day break. Near Walden. It was 37 degrees and the trees were changing colors. I was workin so I wasn't able to get out and bugle but it felt like elk season. No snow but it had rained just before I got there.

wapiti66
09-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks T.S. I had a great time on the hunt, as always. It will be a great memory for me for years, as it is only my 3rd elk. It made it even better that my wife was 30 yards behind me and witnessed it all, this was her first elk trip...I think it was an eye opener for her but she did great. She packed out backstraps and neck meat the first night, then the next morning for the final trip she carried a front quarter and some extras over a mile out without a complaint.