PDA

View Full Version : XWide Boots

JMSZ
09-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Wondering if anybody here is in the same predicament as me and has found good boots?

I've currently got Merrells, I love them, but they use fabric eyelets, which keep ripping. Other than that, besides worn soles, the boots were still in really good shape after a year.

I'm on my third and final warranty replacement pair (they were really cool about replacing them both times) and I said that I wasn't going to buy another pair, but I may end up having no choice but buy them again.

I went to Cabelas when I was in Michigan and tried on just about every pair of wide boots they had with no luck.

I tried a pair of Salomans, they are awesome and built like a tank, but not wide enough, even with a 1/2 size larger.

I'm looking for waterproof, uninsulated boots.

Thanks.

Sawfish
09-06-2012, 02:07 PM
If there is a Red Wing Store in your area, they usually carry sizes up to EEE widths. Have you considered having metal eyelets installed in your boots? That might be the simplest solution.

JMSZ
09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
If there is a Red Wing Store in your area, they usually carry sizes up to EEE widths. Have you considered having metal eyelets installed in your boots? That might be the simplest solution.

I haven't looked at Red Wings, thanks. I thought about military speedlace or similar eyelts, but the boots don't have enough material to punch through for rivets.

Sawfish
09-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Maybe you could have a backing piece of leather sewn in behind the eyelets

JMSZ
10-15-2012, 06:10 PM
I ended up finding some boots made by Belleville (under their Tactical Research label). Hiking boot design with a thicker sole and speed lace eyelets.

Nice boots, they made it through last week, but the first pair I got had an eyelet pop out the first time I tried them on and I had to go over all of the speedlace eyelets on the replacement pair with a center punch to expand all of the rivets.

Other than that, they're quite nice.