PDA

View Full Version : x5b, your thoughts?

BossBrott
09-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Pretty bleak situation for our best zone in the state right now, as about 70% of the zone went up in smoke a few weeks back. If something doesnt get done about the invasives, the deer population will plummet. The USFS and BLM dont factor deer numbers into their $$$$$$$. That zone relies on hunters to come up, hunt, and fuel their economy. I really dont see a light at the end of this tunnel, and it worries me that DFG wont be proactive in seeing what im seeing. It will take years for this herd to rebound, and the quotas will plummet as well. Is there any group or agency that would benefit from keeping the invasives out, as to let the natural sage benefit from this fire? This is an ugly tipping point, and it just plain sucks to be in this predicament. Im always the pessimist in situations like this, can somebody give me reason not to be?

HuntWYODon
09-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Hey Boss,
I'd take a look at X3A and X4. If I didn't burn my 3 pts on X12 this year I'd be putting in for X3A next year from what I saw and learned on my lope hunt there in August. A lot of friendly land owner's there too...

BossBrott
09-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Don, the best of luck to ya' in 12. Great place to spend some time in the fall. Hunted it a few years back, a couple times as camp cook, and we always saw animals. Lots of legwork, but thats CA! Bring plenty of water, a sharp blade, and a strong back,,,,,3 small pieces, that could be the difference between heaven and hell! Enjoy your hunt, be safe, and bring back some pics.

elkgrunt
09-19-2012, 05:39 AM
I live here in 5b, you will be fine their are plenty of deer around.

Caseyu
09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I agree with you 100% but I think you are overthinking a little. When it comes to blm and dfg. You are right. But those deer are already back in there. The way that fire burned left them tons of drainages to escape in which they did. And for vegetation? You should see the new growth that is already. Covered the land. In my opinion this will help the herd. It will keep a lot of people out of there for a while and new. And more vegetation. We will just have to see. Basically. Don't count out x5b for some monster bucks cuz they are still in there thriving

HuntWYODon
09-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Don, the best of luck to ya' in 12. Great place to spend some time in the fall. Hunted it a few years back, a couple times as camp cook, and we always saw animals. Lots of legwork, but thats CA! Bring plenty of water, a sharp blade, and a strong back,,,,,3 small pieces, that could be the difference between heaven and hell! Enjoy your hunt, be safe, and bring back some pics.
Thanks Boss !
Got back last night. Saw a few small bucks in Bodie Hills. Hunted Buckeye first day. Bodie the next 4 days basically. On the last evening about hour before dark a nice 4x4 w/eye gaurds about 20 to 22 in. got up and started coming down the mtn. in front of me. It was getting dark quick. I wanted my son to shoot it but never got close enough. He hung up and started feeding at 630 yds.. It was getting dark quick. I did my calculations but never have shot over 550 yds.. It was up hill too.. I held where I thought. Shot high. He just walked about 20 yds.. Shot again. He just walked uphill to top and dissapeared. I told my son I've got to go to the top to make sure. I knew for fact I didn't hit him. It got dark half way up other side. I got to top and looked around with flashlite/headlamp. I saw where he dissapeared. The rock ridge line was two separate ridges that overlapped... Maybe I'll see him or another nice one when I go back on 10/4 to the end on 10/8. You were right on the leg work ! If I was ever going to have a heart attack, it would of happened going up that mtn. ! I left my water next to the rock I shot from and remembered when I started up the other side. Thank God My son didn't pick it up when we hooked up on way back or I'd of had to go thirsty a little longer. I was carring 2 big water bottles the whole time except that evening because I wanted to go light for a short hunt...At least I took my spotting scope that time !

Muleys 24/7
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Don, was there alot of hunting pressure where you were at?

HuntWYODon
09-22-2012, 06:44 PM
No. Not at all. Not even in Bodie Hills which Is popular. Maybe the hot weather? Only 760 tags helps. May have been 820 this year . I forgot. Showed estimated 44% success last year. They had a snow storm right at end of season which probably helped. My friend who killed the big lope in same zone as me packed into X9B with two of his horses and a mule opening weekend and saw 5 bucks up high. One was a 22 in. 4x3 he almost pulled the trigger on. He killed a nice buck there last yr. He's going back the last few days. Me too. 10/4 to 10/8 end of season and drive back the 9th.

Muleys 24/7
09-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Maybe you'll get some good weather when you head back up for the end of the season. It's always hard hunting in the heat

HuntWYODon
09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I hope so ! My son and I got pretty sunburned.!we wore brimmed hats and long sleeves too. Hopefully I'll see a nice buck in the morning and not last light !

Muleys 24/7
09-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I hope so ! My son and I got pretty sunburned.!we wore brimmed hats and long sleeves too. Hopefully I'll see a nice buck in the morning and not last light !

Just remember your water and you'll be ok! LOL:)

HuntWYODon
09-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Just remember your water and you'll be ok! LOL:)
Yeah, ha ha ! I was carrying two bottles but left one out for the evening hunt. Murphy's law huh ... ? LOL !
My friend went to Bodie Hills this morning and it was full of sheep on the hill I shot at the buck and saw the other two ! I saw the sheep herder down the road and on other side for two days before. Nice huh ? BLM leasing sheep grazing on public land for probably a dollar a head like the Forestry Dept. does on public land for cattle. Not much for the deer to eat in Bodie Hills as there is ! My friend is calling his BLM buddy Mon. to raise hell. I am also. Fcking B.S.. Why don't they graze them up high ? Tons of grass up by Virgina Lakes/Green Creek.

BossBrott
09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
I just dont get this grazing bs, 7b is tore to shreds because of the sheep! DFG has zero clout with BLM, USFS, you name it! Keep the grazers off for a couple years, or forever, and watch the herds rebound.

HuntWYODon
09-25-2012, 04:53 PM
I just dont get this grazing bs, 7b is tore to shreds because of the sheep! DFG has zero clout with BLM, USFS, you name it! Keep the grazers off for a couple years, or forever, and watch the herds rebound.

I second that ! The damn wooley's eat it right down to the dirt unlike a cow. Here's a good one for you. My son and I busted our asse's to get to the top of the mtn. at Buckeye. when we did, I was looking around and saw all these tracks at first I thought were deer in the dried mud and crap all over. The I found some all stuck together like sheep. I thought Hmmmm...? Then a couple days later when I saw the sheep in Bodie Hills I rememberd what I saw and said how the hell did they get the sheep way up on top of that mtn. ? There are no roads on the other side either. What a crock to ruin the area and chase the deer from it.
In 1988 I drew a Reg. G tag in Wy.. When I got to the Grey's River area, nothing but sheep and wiped out area's the sheep had been. Hunted up higher and higher to get away from them. Do the Dept.'s like to coincide their the grazing with hunting season's ?

Muleys 24/7
09-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I've seen heards of sheep like that in the dixie nat. forest, UT, too. I didn't know sheep were allowed to cause so much distruction on federal land. It should be out lawed, but like you say cattle are so much differant because they actually graze instead of wipeing everything out.

goindeep
09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I know if I had a few points I'd put in for x5b next year. The fire will scare off more hunters than deer...... I've hunted some of the desert areas of the eastern sierras that have burned in the past, the areas that burned look better than the areas that didn't. There's no need to bitch about blm, usfs, and dfg, they aren't doing anything different than they did in the "good ole days". If anything there is less grazing from cattle and sheep. The deer are there, they just have changed their habits.