PDA

View Full Version : A broken arrow and a broken heart

jenbickel
09-08-2012, 02:35 PM
<------ ----< = </3

That's supposed to be a broken arrow equals a broken sideways heart. I have shot two things this year and both times my arrows have snapped in half. I've never has this happen before! Any ideas on why this is happening? It's very frustrating to me.

ivorytip
09-08-2012, 04:09 PM
you are still killing the animal right? the arrow making a pass through? if the animal dies than no worries, is it hitting a tree while deer is running away??

Murdy
09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Are these new arrows or have you been using them for awhile? If you have been using them for a while, new bow? or make any changes to your bow?

trkytrack2
09-08-2012, 05:02 PM
If the animal is dead and recovered, no problem. The broadhead may be hitting bone and sticking and the arrow is breaking off when the animal flees. You can always switch to tougher shafts. What poundage are you shooting?

jenbickel
09-08-2012, 09:14 PM
They are newer arrows.. They are Easton FMJ's! I have a 25" draw length and I'm shooting 62 pounds.. My arrows are cut at 26" and they are 400's 10.2 gpi. The bear died with the broken arrow but I shot a deer this morning and can't find him. He had a decent blood trail but I lost it after he got into real thick sagebrush. The blood trail would taper off and then get real heavy again and then pool real bad. I searched for what seemed like forever.

jenbickel
09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
The only other new thing I did was put a string stopper thingy on my bow. I don't see that making a difference in my arrow breaking though...?!

Murdy
09-08-2012, 11:12 PM
None of that sounds unreasonable equipment-wise. Maybe just one of those things. Only thing I'd note, though I can't really see how it would make a difference, is that the arrows seem to be longer than they would have to be (depending on your set up, of course). I have a 30 inch draw and my arrows are cut to 29, as with most compounds, the rest sits back a bit on the riser, but, again, I don't see how this would cause arrows to break.

WVhdnWest
09-09-2012, 12:53 AM
If your arrow impacts tight to the shoulder i don't think it's unusual to break off a shaft when the animal bolts, broadside or quartering away. I've heard aluminum shafts break and have had whitetails break off both sides clean on a standing broadside shot and found only a shaft the width of the chest cavity still inside( no trees involved). A lost animal is a heartbreaker no doubt but don't beat yourself up over it.

ivorytip
09-09-2012, 07:43 AM
im gonna assume you shot the deer and whitetail from a tree stand? if so and you dont generaly use a tree stand the arrow will fly in at a totaly diff angle, like trytrack said, prob hitting bone. go buy some choclates and youll figure it out;)

jenbickel
09-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Lol I will never hunt in a tree stand. I never have and never will. I do eat chocolate though. ;) I asked the guy at the bow shop here and he said its probably because I don't shoot a Hoyt.

Whisky
09-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I asked the guy at the bow shop here and he said its probably because I don't shoot a Hoyt.

That guy knows his stuff. I'd listen to him and buy a Hoyt!!!:D

I'd say it's just a fluke. Arrows break. Sorry to hear about the deer though. My brother shoulder shot an antelope in Wyoming last week, didn't break through bone and it wasn't a lethal hit. We let him bed for a few hours and then went after him again. Never did get another shot off. He tore off pretty well on 3 legs, very little blood where he was bedded. It's awful feeling, but you hunt long enough, especially with the bow, you will lose an animal.

If you're not confident though, you may want to try some new arrows. Confidence in your equipment is a big thing too.

ivorytip
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
i cant fix your arrow but i can mend your heart... ha, good luck.

brooks
09-09-2012, 08:29 PM
You're using good arrows. Pulling back 62 pounds ...you should be shooting a Mathews Z7Xtreme lol. I have had that happen alot over the years. I think the deer just broke it when he ran or hit a tree when running or something. I have shot some critters and it was a clean pass through and I have shot some and the arrow was broke ??????? I have also hit deer and couldn't find them after searching all day only to come back to where I shot them and find them close by in a place I just over looked the first time............Hey, do you have a elk tag?? nother question....when you getting back in the octagon ?

jenbickel
09-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I have a general elk tag :) and not sure when I'm getting back in the octagon. It was fun but not many people around here that want to do it! I'm actually looking at getting a Mathews DXT. I want a 70# bow :)

jenbickel
09-09-2012, 09:22 PM
And thanks everyone! I was incredibly frustrated yesterday. I never found the deer and I'm still bumming about it but I know it's just one of those things that happens. I may just switch arrows....and buy a new bow. :)

kcaves
09-09-2012, 09:59 PM
We spent all day yesterday tracking a blood trail from an elk, but it was a poor decision on the shot, 10 yards right square in the chest only got one lung, blood trail ran out

jenbickel
09-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Oh no!!!! Thats a definite bummer... I'm sorry! :(

wapiti66
09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Ive had more than one arrow break after shooting deer and had one break on a bull elk. the arrow that broke on the bull was because he ran by a tree and snapped it off. Where I hunt deer there are no trees, so...?? I think when you shoot them tight to the shoulder and hit bone on the opposite side their legs/shoulder blades motion could come back against the arrow when running and snap the arrow. That's my best bet, but Ive never thought it was a problem. Having a broken arrow inside of the animal could actually keep the blood flowing in some cases, and continue to cause damage. Ive never lost an animal that broke the arrow off. I would agree with buying the Mathews though!

dito
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Wait till all the 2013's come out before deciding. Bear looks interesting and pse should be good!

JNDEER
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Can you describe how the arrow broke (where at on the shaft) and where you believe you hit the animal?

jenbickel
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
It broke about 8 inches down the shaft. In all honesty, I don't know where I hit him. I thought I missed him.. That's the crappy part!

JNDEER
09-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Huh.

Not sure why exactly then. But, I will say that my brother shoots a 27" draw and he can nick a small branch (like 1/4" diameter) in mid flight to his target and it will snap his arrow in two. I think it has something to do with the oscillation of a smaller length shaft compared to a normal (28+) size shaft. At 30" I have never broke a shaft in an animal, I have missing them though.

sjsmallfield
09-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Sorry to here about you loosing that deer Jen. My budy lost the biggest buck of his life last season. I lost one when I was 14. It is a sick feeling and just plain sucks, but if you do what we do long enough it is bound to happen. As far as the arrow snapping problem I don't have an answer. I shot a buck two years ago right behind the sholder at 23yds and the arrow snapped in half. A few years before that I shot a coyote at 6yds. Complete pass through, off a rock at a 45 degree angle and into a tree at 12yds and the arrow was fine. Who knows? Good luck!

HuskyMusky
09-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I bet it's because you shoot like a girl ;)

honestly broken arrow vs dead animal have no correlation in my view... arrows break, often when hitting animals...

jenbickel
09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks sjsmallfield! It definitely sucks!

Husky- I know. It just seemed weird and frustrating that I have shot two things and both times my arrow broke and that's never happened to me before. It also bothers me because I hate to think that if my deer is still alive, he's suffering with part of my shaft and broadhead still stuck in him. PS I love shooting like a girl.. Why do you think I kill so many things?! ;) lol

labman
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I have not broken a FMJ Easton in a animal, but I did stop using them. In my experience they are not a very durable shaft, you would think so being wrapped in aluminum. Every time I would nick one or put a dent in the shaft by accident that shaft was done could not be used anymore. So I just went back to the regular Easton ACC wrap and not problems. I do shoot a 30" arrow and my total arrow weight is 440. Sorry about losing your animal that feeling is the worst, but is happens!!

Caseyu
09-10-2012, 06:04 PM
There is no broken heart about that matter hun! a broken arrow for a trophy.... I'd give six ;) I've broken ALOT of arrows. It hurts when i think about it. but really the only time i kill an animal witout damaging an arrow is a pass through. that arrow hanging out at a dead run with the chance of laying on it, or slamming it into something is an almost guarantee. keep shooting those fmj's!! those aren't the problem! best of luck

jenbickel
09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Lol! Thanks again everyone. Like I said, I was just super frustrated. Thanks to all of you I am feeling better about it now. Still bummed but I'm better! He wasn't a huge buck or anything.. But he was cool! He had a typical 4 point side and then the other side was just like 4 horns just sticking straight up. I haven't given up complete hope of finding him. My dad said he would watch for magpies while he is out working the ranch. Haha

trkytrack2
09-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Gold Tips all the way. Never broken......ever.

dito
09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm with labman the FMJ's bend really easy.

justinthedoc
09-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Ha ha thats awesome. Have a maxxis 35 90pounder, brutal bow. I have never fully recovered a arrow in tact that didnt go through. There muscles tense up so bad they basically snap the arrow for you, escepcially if its tight to the shoulder. Nothing to do with equipment or (i do agree with hoyt) the bow. But you should Get Serious...

Grizz
09-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Hit em where it Hoyt's!

Six-Gun
09-25-2012, 09:14 PM
If your arrow impacts tight to the shoulder i don't think it's unusual to break off a shaft when the animal bolts, broadside or quartering away. I've heard aluminum shafts break and have had whitetails break off both sides clean on a standing broadside shot and found only a shaft the width of the chest cavity still inside( no trees involved). A lost animal is a heartbreaker no doubt but don't beat yourself up over it.
^^This. It's fairly common for the shaft to break when the animal bolts if you hit at or around the shoulder without passthrough. Afterall, you're getting every bit of that animal's jerk reflex into a heavy bone area and shearing into the shaft. The exact same thing with my buddy's Nebraska whitetail. He hit it at 63 yards with no passthrough and the shaft snapped the instant the deer bucked and bolted. The damage was already done, even in that split second and the deer was down in 140 yards.