PDA

View Full Version : Antelope Hunting Bullet

gtbc82
09-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I have a rifle in 6.5-284 that shoots 140 grain Sierra Match Kings lights out. The box says the bullets are not for hunting, but I have heard from many people that these bullets work fine on antelope. What are your thoughts on using these for hunting?

Booner
09-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I shoot 100 gr. Sierra Matchkings out of my 2506 with no problem killing antelope and I've shot a few whitetail does with it as well. Usually leaves a pretty good blood trail, but I've never had to follow it cause they don't go far. I'm sure the 140 gr. will have no trouble.

llp
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Target bullets are not built to perform on game. Switch to a proper hunting bullet, like a TSX or even a simple Sierra game King.
Yes, the Match king will work if placed perfectly in the lungs, and doesn't encounter heavy bone. But if if you screw up even a little, and hit a front shoulder, etc., you will wish you had used a hunting bullet. You should have no trouble loading another bullet and achieving comparable accuracy. Do the ethical thing, and use a proper hunting bullet. You owe it to the game you pursue.
llp