PDA

View Full Version : My honey hole is now everyone's!

Ikeepitcold
09-11-2012, 03:24 PM
My mule deer hunting hole in Nv has now been foun out! I saw 6 different archery hunters in the same spot I took my 175" buck last year. And while Antalope hunting for my wife's buck this year I saw 4 rigs roll up the same drainage we go to and didn't come out. I've heard that to get the rif raff out I should tell everyone I know about the area and let it get hunted out then nobody will hunt there anymore then u can go back in 5 years or so and get good bucks again. I'm not to sure about this "strategy". I've been so pretective of the area I have a hard time telling folks about it. I know one of my hunting partners have told a few guys and I feel this has been the demise of the area but I won't blame it all on him. (I want to though). What do you guys think I should do? I have decided to start hunting a new area so at least I and my buddies won't be taking more deer from the area to help with my cause but I'm really bummed about this area we have been taking great bucks for the past 6 years or so.

Drhorsepower
09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Sucks man, I love telling stories but my common response for location, "nunya canyon" because that is exactly where it is. Especially for deer hunting because chances are you will be hunting it again, even if you live in nv and can't draw a tag as a resident :) . I find more guys are willing to give up the goods on more coveted tags like sheep, goat etc... Because chances are they will never draw that tag again.

Your story is a carbon copy of a lot of hunters experience, they take someone new in their spot and next time they go back, it's overrun. Sorry to hear that Ikic. Sucks man,

What should you do? Question is what can you do.. I think nothing besides not showing that buddy your spot again:)

Spud
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I went to the parking place to go to my "secret" place last year and there was a 23' trailer, kids bikes, three tents and 4 guys in a van sleeping there. Maybe it's because they are out of work or who knows why. I can't believe they drug a trailer up that road, if it would have snowed it would have still been up there this spring. The guys in the van only lasted one rainy day. I hope plan b works out for you too.

Ikeepitcold
09-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Sucks man, I love telling stories but my common response for location, "nunya canyon" because that is exactly where it is. Especially for deer hunting because chances are you will be hunting it again, even if you live in nv and can't draw a tag as a resident :) . I find more guys are willing to give up the goods on more coveted tags like sheep, goat etc... Because chances are they will never draw that tag again.

Your story is a carbon copy of a lot of hunters experience, they take someone new in their spot and next time they go back, it's overrun.

Sorry to hear that Ikic. Sucks man,

What should you do? Question is what can you do.. I think nothing besides not showing that buddy your spot again:)

Well I can't not tell him he is my hunting partner but I have laid down the law to him and I think he has got the drift. The BIG problum now is non of us has the time with kids now in sports and families that come first over hunting to go scouting and find the new spot. I guess we will have to draw the tag and scout while hunting now. It pretty much sucks now

Kevin Root
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree with you Ikeepitcold. I'm not sure if telling a lot of folks about the exact drainage, basins or honey holes you want to keep more private and then have to wait five years sounds like a very good option to me. I guess you have two options though that you have already mentioned, sad but true. Hunt it or don't hunt it. If it were me, I guess I'd weigh out how blown out it is with folks that might make you want to hunt it the same, maybe hunt it different or like you've already mentioned find a plan B area to hunt. What other options are there?

Most of the times I'm just pretty general about public hunting spots, hunting units, national forest or wilderness areas. If I've hunted a private ranch or leased some land to hunt, I'll again share the general area but not the actual spot(s) on the lease. I guess if someone was a good detective they could perhaps match a picture to the spot but that would be a pretty good detective.

With fishing spots, I've told folks the exact spots, even made youtube clips showing them where to fish and what to us a a lure for the CA DFG "California Heritage Trout Challenge". Most of the places I go are several miles into wilderness areas….. and well I just don't think they get over fished even if I tell folks where and show them pictures of the trout. People tend not to want to walk very far off the beaten path for fish like I do.

I hope your area works out for you Ikeepitcold. It can't be very much fun seeing an area where you have gone for years and not seen a sole in it and now see it full of folks. The time factor to scout a new spot has to suck as well. My hope is perhaps the folks that you saw in your area won't see it's potential like you have and do and they will move on and hunt a different spot. One never knows…..

Old Hunter
09-11-2012, 06:31 PM
There's more than one reason i've hunted alone all these years.

This is just one of them. I don't tell anyone where I go. Not that they're the best spots there is, but because I don't want to see another hunter. It's impossible to still hunt if other hunters are there.

I feel for you man, and the only advice I can give is don't tell anybody.

packer58
09-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry to here about your buck hole IKIC. I think in this day and age with less deer and fewer areas that hold good bucks a guy really has to be carefull who he takes in if anybody. It really sucks not to be able to take a bud or two into an area and share the hunt. It really takes a special partner "SWORN TO SECRECY" to share an area and call it your's.

The thing that really pisses me off is that the guys that are in your hole probably didn't do any research, burn any gas scouting, and certainly didn't spend years looking, finding and protecting all thier hard work. They just followed directions that were given to them.

Don't get me wrong, i do share general info but do not get to specific with anything. I have to much time, energy and money invested to run the risk of just giving it away.

In God We Trust
09-11-2012, 09:56 PM
I know the feeling. The deer spot I hunt every year and just returned from is starting to have a few people show up. For the first 3 years I didn't see a soul, then the last 2 years I have seen the same group of 4 guys hunting the same basin. This place is a 4 mile hike in, I guess that is part of DIY public land hunting. I just scout more now and have more places to go that I know hold good bucks.

Joe Hulburt
09-12-2012, 12:17 AM
I found a rig at one of my "secret spots" before daylight this year. I've never seen sign of another hunter but there they were. I scratched my head and headed to a spot I had been meaning to hunt and saw the second largest bull I've ever seen while hunting. Sometimes things happen for a reason. I know that isn't what you want to hear if you have little time to scout but I bet you find a BETTER honey hole before too long. Just be careful which buddies you tell about it.....

T43
09-12-2012, 08:01 AM
I may be able to test your 5 year theory. My honey hole was just dimed out on a hunting e magazine and I have seen it pop up on a few forums. The pressure in there is crazy this year. Everything is being run ragged including the game wardens. I've been there enough I know where the critters are headed and can get the combo for the gate but it sucks.

Ikeepitcold
09-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I agree with you Ikeepitcold. I'm not sure if telling a lot of folks about the exact drainage, basins or honey holes you want to keep more private and then have to wait five years sounds like a very good option to me. I guess you have two options though that you have already mentioned, sad but true. Hunt it or don't hunt it. If it were me, I guess I'd weigh out how blown out it is with folks that might make you want to hunt it the same, maybe hunt it different or like you've already mentioned find a plan B area to hunt. What other options are there?

Most of the times I'm just pretty general about public hunting spots, hunting units, national forest or wilderness areas. If I've hunted a private ranch or leased some land to hunt, I'll again share the general area but not the actual spot(s) on the lease. I guess if someone was a good detective they could perhaps match a picture to the spot but that would be a pretty good detective.

With fishing spots, I've told folks the exact spots, even made youtube clips showing them where to fish and what to us a a lure for the CA DFG "California Heritage Trout Challenge". Most of the places I go are several miles into wilderness areas….. and well I just don't think they get over fished even if I tell folks where and show them pictures of the trout. People tend not to want to walk very far off the beaten path for fish like I do.

I hope your area works out for you Ikeepitcold. It can't be very much fun seeing an area where you have gone for years and not seen a sole in it and now see it full of folks. The time factor to scout a new spot has to suck as well. My hope is perhaps the folks that you saw in your area won't see it's potential

like you have and do and they will move on and hunt a different spot. One never knows…..

Thanx Kevin. I have hoped that these hunters would have moved on but it seems there are more and more each year. If these hunters are the same guys I don't know. I kinda don't think they are because this area is a better late season hunt but during the past years I've seen some nice bucks in the velvet. From what I've heard a lot of these hunters have heard from bird hunters that there are big buks here and that's how they have found the area. I think these hunters are not harvesting bucks but if they see them they will continue to try to draw tags in the area. This year my hunting partners both drew tags for this spot so we will give it another try. We also plan on a scouting trip to a mt range accrosed they valley. Maybe we can find a new spot in the same area. The tags are 1:3 so it's pretty easy to draw.

Old Hunter
09-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I hate to say this, but I don't think hunting forums is always a good idea. I went most on my life never on a forum. Well, they didn't even have computers for most of it.
Since starting to post on forums. I see way too much information passed around. I'm from the old school of getting out and doing it myself. Hunters have gotten way to lazy. Boots were made to wear out.

Ikeepitcold
09-12-2012, 10:12 AM
I hate to say this, but I don't think hunting forums is always a good idea. I went most on my life never on a forum. Well, they didn't even have computers for most of it.
Since starting to post on forums. I see way too much information passed around. I'm from the old school of getting out and doing it myself. Hunters have gotten way to lazy. Boots were made to wear out.

Again I so agree. I have alway been a firm believer in scouting and finding your own spot. I know for a fact that I tell people the general unit I hunt in but that is as far as it goes. I've even been asked by very close family members were I hunt and I tell them a totally different place.

Murdy
09-12-2012, 12:15 PM

It kind of depends -- Is a guy using the internet in place of scouting? Or is he using it to make his scouting more effective? I'm sure there are both types on every hunting forum. Either way, I wouldn't give out any info on line that I wouldn't give to someone in person.

Jeremy
09-12-2012, 01:32 PM
My dad and I tell NO ONE where we hunt. My best friends have no clue about our secrect spots. The less people that know the better. I have had guys on here PM about location and I never give up jack. They always start with a classic "I am not looking for anyone's honey holes, just some genereal advice" then the PM start after that. If you have a good spot, you had better keep it to yourself.

If it was your buddy, I hope you gave him a good ass chewing about that sh*t. Hopefully you can find another good spot.

Ikeepitcold
09-12-2012, 02:01 PM
My dad and I tell NO ONE where we hunt. My best friends have no clue about our secrect spots. The less people that know the better. I have had guys on here PM about location and I never give up jack. They always start with a classic "I am not looking for anyone's honey holes, just some genereal advice" then the PM start after that. If you have a good spot, you had better keep it to yourself.

If it was your buddy, I hope you gave him a good ass chewing about that sh*t. Hopefully you can find another good spot.

I think he go it now that he has the tag this year and knows the pressure that the deer have now. There are still big bucks in my spot but they are very hard to find. I'm up for the challenge but it was a few good years of 170" bucks every year we drew and passed up many 160" bucks each year now we are luck to see a 150" buck.

Drhorsepower
09-12-2012, 02:37 PM
I think You shot all the deer out of there!! Lol jk

wapiti66
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
If it is a place I don't plan on hunting again very soon I'm more likely to share some info. I don't mind sharing info w another hunter if they can share back or better yet already have their spot. Otherwise I'm only going to mention a nearby town, but not the nearest.

NDHunter
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM

I can understand where you're coming from but also am a firm believer that EVERYONE can use some help once in awhile. Like others have said, it depends a lot too on how much you personally hunt that area. If it is a general area you hunt every year and you have a honeyhole then yea I completely understand wanting to keep it to yourself and I do the exact same thing.

Getting some general info about a certain unit though can help a ton when trying to research where to hunt. Old Hunter you were very helpful when I asked you about a unit in CO. I didn't want to know where you hunted but the info you gave me validated a lot of what I was thinking about hunting there.

Anyways, sorry IKIC to hear about your predicament. Sucks when that stuff happens. Wish I had some good advice for you but I don't.

Ikeepitcold
09-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I have no problum in helping other hunters even in the same area I hunt in. I just dot say exactly were my spot is. Heck I've talked about my area and have taken enough pics I've posted that I'm sure someone if they really wanted to could figure it out. Ive given up my favorite Elk honey holes, Antelope and even a couple of my Deer spots but never this one. I figure it couldn't last forever but I hoped it would have lasted a few years more. I hope that I can take my kid there in a few years and the hunting will be like it used to be. If not I know I will have found another till then.

Ikeepitcold
09-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I think You shot all the deer out of there!! Lol jk

Honestly I have thought alot about this. How many years can an area afford to give up great bucks till the big ones are gone? I don't have a clue. But I've thought maybe it has been myself and the guys I hunt with. And that's only the deer I know that have been taken. Can 3-4 160"+ bucks be taken from a area year after year and still be able to continue to produce more of the same caliber of deer each year? Say for the past 5 years?

7mmshot
09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
They might be there in your area. But do they know what you know? patterns.. trails.. bedding areas and times of day where they are? I hate seeing other hunters I usually try to avoid all people. But they still have to Out shoot you and out hunt you.

Old Hunter
09-13-2012, 05:27 AM
They don't need any talent to move the game out of the area.

wapiti66
09-13-2012, 08:00 AM
It depends on how many smaller bucks you see in the area while hunting. If you are passing/seeing several 140" bucks then you are likely to keep seeing big deer in your area the following years. If you have a group of guys come in that start shooting the smaller bucks, that will prolly mean a decline in big buck numbers in the following years. They don't get to 180" if you shoot them @ 160"

JNDEER
09-13-2012, 02:19 PM
IMO, keep that spot to yourself and your friend!

Hunters come and go all the time. Of all the hunters I come across every year I would say 5-10% are repeats and the rest are just out to get out. Unless they have found your exact honey hole and have seen and know what you know, there is a good chance they may not come back. If your hunting the same area then it is probably more of an easy draw and for the past few years NV has gotten soo much publicity it is crazy. Keep your spot a secret and give it a few years, I bet those guys will bail out and you could have it to yourself again soon.

sjsmallfield
09-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Hunters come and go all the time. Of all the hunters I come across every year I would say 5-10% are repeats and the rest are just out to get out. Unless they have found your exact honey hole and have seen and know what you know, there is a good chance they may not come back. If your hunting the same area then it is probably more of an easy draw and for the past few years NV has gotten soo much publicity it is crazy. Keep your spot a secret and give it a few years, I bet those guys will bail out and you could have it to yourself again soon.

I would have to agree. Last year we went into our favorite spot for the bow season opener. There were close to 20 camps where there only used to be about 4 and they managed to run everything out of the country. After saying we weren't going to hunt there this year we decided to take a ride in there opening weekend. To our surprise there were only about 5 camps and we got into quite a few deer again. Stick with your spot IKIC.

Ikeepitcold
09-13-2012, 06:03 PM
It depends on how many smaller bucks you see in the area while hunting. If you are passing/seeing several 140" bucks then you are likely to keep seeing big deer in your area the following years. If you have a group of guys come in that start shooting the smaller bucks, that will prolly mean a decline in big buck numbers in the following years. They don't get to 180" if you shoot them @ 160"

That's the thing we see lots of young deer plenty of small 4x4s and 3x3s but nothing mature anymore in the 5-7 year range. We're in the passed say 6 years hunting there with the exception on the last 3 we would see multiple 170"-190" 5-7 year old bucks. And when I say multiple I mean 5-6 in the 160" range to 2-4 in the 170"+ range without looking real hard. What boggles my mind is where are all theses bucks we have seen that should be closed to being mature?

Ikeepitcold
09-13-2012, 06:04 PM

I'm really counting on your opinion. I hope it is true.

Ikeepitcold
09-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I would have to agree. Last year we went into our favorite spot for the bow season opener. There were close to 20 camps where there only used to be about 4 and they managed to run everything out of the country. After saying we weren't going to hunt there this year we decided to take a ride in there opening weekend. To our surprise there were only about 5 camps and we got into quite a few deer again. Stick with your spot IKIC.

Thanx. I think we are going to hit our spot for the opener and a day or two after before we go into new country. Also my partner will be out a few days before looking over some new areas too since we know where the deer have been in the past.

velvetfvr
09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't worry about it. I find hunters where I hunt but I know where the deer are. Most of these people don't have a clue. I went after a 3x4 after 5 quads went by him on the mountain. I knew where he was but he ended up getting spooked. I also scout and most people don't so scouting key. Also not all of us archery guys are going to take a buck if any are like me.

Ikeepitcold
09-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't worry about it. I find hunters where I hunt but I know where the deer are. Most of these people don't have a clue. I went after a 3x4 after 5 quads went by him on the mountain. I knew where he was but he ended up getting spooked. I also scout and most people don't so scouting key. Also not all of us archery guys are going to take a buck if any are like me.

Ya you've had a tough one but you have the drive. You will get the chance and get the bomber your looking for. Keep up the hard work.

velvetfvr
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Ya you've had a tough one but you have the drive. You will get the chance and get the bomber your looking for. Keep up the hard work.

Thanks, my parents finally realize how to archery hunt. We went out 3 days at a time and when we left I knew what I had to do so they promised me a week next year even though they said that the last 2 years so we will see. Might have to lower my standards from 180 class to a nice 3 point.

Ikeepitcold
09-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Jees what a hassle! OH

NDHunter
09-14-2012, 07:43 PM
IKIC, I thought of some advice for you when people ask where you hunt. When you get a nice animal and they say, "where did you get that one?" Just tell them what my uncle says, "right behind the front shoulder."

Ikeepitcold
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
IKIC, I thought of some advice for you when people ask where you hunt. When you get a nice animal and they say, "where did you get that one?" Just tell them what my uncle says, "right behind the front shoulder."

Heck ya! I like it thanx!!

dying to kill
10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
i hear ya all on people taking your spots even tho its mostly private land here in ok i started out at about age 6 hunting with an older distant family member and 10 years later he had aprox 15 friends that he was bringing out that got old pretty quick needless to say there is only about 2 that still come out hunting, and it was not a very pretty picture when they found out they couldnt come out any more, the lesson i learned if someone is selfish enough to take it upon their selves to keep on inviting people to a good spot then im gonna be selfish enough not to invite em huntin with me any more
My mule deer hunting hole in Nv has now been foun out! I saw 6 different archery hunters in the same spot I took my 175" buck last year. And while Antalope hunting for my wife's buck this year I saw 4 rigs roll up the same drainage we go to and didn't come out. I've heard that to get the rif raff out I should tell everyone I know about the area and let it get hunted out then nobody will hunt there anymore then u can go back in 5 years or so and get good bucks again. I'm not to sure about this "strategy". I've been so pretective of the area I have a hard time telling folks about it. I know one of my hunting partners have told a few guys and I feel this has been the demise of the area but I won't blame it all on him. (I want to though). What do you guys think I should do? I have decided to start hunting a new area so at least I and my buddies won't be taking more deer from the area to help with my cause but I'm really bummed about this area we have been taking great bucks for the past 6 years or so.

Ikeepitcold
10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
i hear ya all on people taking your spots even tho its mostly private land here in ok i started out at about age 6 hunting with an older distant family member and 10 years later he had aprox 15 friends that he was bringing out that got old pretty quick needless to say there is only about 2 that still come out hunting, and it was not a very pretty picture when they found out they couldnt come out any more, the lesson i learned if someone is selfish enough to take it upon their selves to keep on inviting people to a good spot then im gonna be selfish enough not to invite em huntin with me any more

I like it! Words to live by. Thanx

Bitterroot Bulls
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Don't get too freaked out about it, IKIC. Every year good trophies are taken in high-pressure areas. I also prefer to hunt less-pressured country, though. I am willing to help point somebody in the right direction, but some of my areas are still secret ... SHHHH.

The one great equalizer is remoteness. When I killed my deer deep in the wilderness last year, I didn't see a soul. You would have to be crazy to hunt deer there...

Ikeepitcold
10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Don't get too freaked out about it, IKIC. Every year good trophies are taken in high-pressure areas. I also prefer to hunt less-pressured country, though. I am willing to help point somebody in the right direction, but some of my areas are still secret ... SHHHH.

The one great equalizer is remoteness. When I killed my deer deep in the wilderness last year, I didn't see a soul. You would have to be crazy to hunt deer there...

That's what we say lot too when we kill a big deer in our spot too. We are Friggin stupid to hunt were we do but it seems to produce big bucks. A long hike in a a longer pack out. It never seems to even enter my mind when I'm looking at that buck way down in a canyon but when he's down and the photos are all done being taken and you begin to calm down and process on where you accually are then it sinks in. But in the high pressure areas we go to where the big bucks have been in the passed and hope to find one again. I guess the good thing is most guys won't find it but every year they seem to be popping up closer and closer to our spot.

Screw it! I'm gonna start road hunting! Anybody have a good road I can hunt? I'm not looking for info on your honey holes just a good road that I can shoot good deer from! :p

sjsmallfield
10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Screw it! I'm gonna start road hunting! Anybody have a good road I can hunt? I'm not looking for info on your honey holes just a good road that I can shoot good deer from! :p

Hahahaha!!! Now that's funny.

ando_31
10-01-2012, 02:24 PM
That's what we say lot too when we kill a big deer in our spot too. We are Friggin stupid to hunt were we do but it seems to produce big bucks. A long hike in a a longer pack out. It never seems to even enter my mind when I'm looking at that buck way down in a canyon but when he's down and the photos are all done being taken and you begin to calm down and process on where you accually are then it sinks in. But in the high pressure areas we go to where the big bucks have been in the passed and hope to find one again. I guess the good thing is most guys won't find it but every year they seem to be popping up closer and closer to our spot.

I just went to a place that had some decent animals right off the road. You had to pay a fee to get in but you can find coupons for it from time to time. I think it was called apple valley zoo. If you shot an animal there they would treat you like a king. They would take care of the animal for you, take photos, write articles about your hunt, carry your gun out, they'd even give you free room and board for a while I bet.

On a more serious note, the oil boom out this way is going to be my hunting area's demise for years to come. I'm pretty bummed about it, but I know there's always at least one bomber running around out there somewhere.

Ikeepitcold
10-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I just went to a place that had some decent animals right off the road. You had to pay a fee to get in but you can find coupons for it from time to time. I think it was called apple valley zoo. If you shot an animal there they would treat you like a king. They would take care of the animal for you, take photos, write articles about your hunt, carry your gun out, they'd even give you free room and board for a while I bet.

On a more serious note, the oil boom out this way is going to be my hunting area's demise for years to come. I'm pretty bummed about it, but I know there's always at least one bomber running around out there somewhere.

Holy crap that was hilarious!