PDA

View Full Version : Idaho... I need your help

Montana
09-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Please of course:) Do you have some sort of free mapping program online that shows private/public land ownership? Montana has a program called Montana Cadastral, not exactly the best but it works once you get it figured out.

Thank you!!

Musket Man
09-12-2012, 10:56 AM
go into the hunt planner on the IDFG site. there are some maps in it.

IdahoHombre
09-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I find the Hunt Planner on IF&G's site to be highly inaccurate. We really don't have a great land-ownership map system online, to my knowledge. I usually have to piece things together between various maps. It's a pain, and I wish we had something online that would make life easier. I end up using county assessor GIS online interactive maps a lot (which not all counties have online), together with Forest Service or BLM maps that show land ownership.

Unless I'm missing something out there on the WWW, I think the best bet is to get one of those mapping companies who market land ownership maps to hunters for GPS.

Montana
09-12-2012, 07:45 PM
hmm.... Thanks for the info so far. I do know the county we are hunting so I'll check it out. Thanks a million.

ivorytip
09-18-2012, 12:23 PM
you have a gps? sd card slot? go get idahos hunting card, shows all units and all private land.pretty handy

Midwest to Outwest
12-27-2012, 08:28 PM
you have a gps? sd card slot? go get idahos hunting card, shows all units and all private land.pretty handy

Where do you get the hunting card?

buckbull
12-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I really like the cards from http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/. You can buy the card for Idaho and get the Plat version that shows you private/public and provides land ownership information. They only work with a Garmin gps. You can supposedly get an application called basecamp that will read from the card so you can see the details on your computer screen and do print outs -- but I haven't done that yet. I have an Oregon 550 and the card works great with this unit.

Montana
12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
I really like the cards from http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/. You can buy the card for Idaho and get the Plat version that shows you private/public and provides land ownership information. They only work with a Garmin gps. You can supposedly get an application called basecamp that will read from the card so you can see the details on your computer screen and do print outs -- but I haven't done that yet. I have an Oregon 550 and the card works great with this unit.

I second that one... They are here in Missoula and are bunch of really good guys. Good to support them. Good product too.

ivorytip
12-28-2012, 06:38 AM
its the best thing i could have done for my hunting. sportsmans sells them, as does cabelas

MtnBoy
12-29-2012, 08:34 AM
LintonOutdoors.com sells them too....great guy....Eastmans supporter....

BobcatJerry
12-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Check out GPSFILEDEPOT.com. The Idaho Topo map has them. You can load it onto Garmin GPS's and look at it on their basecamp software. There are a few others that are free at the site, and some you have to pay to put on your GPS. I used Idaho Topo last fall. It's good.

Midwest to Outwest
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I have the MT version of http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ on my computer and it is a great scouting tool. I have an older GPS though and never could get it to transfer over. I will need to upgrade GPS, first thing. I didn't know if there were many different companys that sell the PLAT chips.

BobcatJerry
01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
I believe huntinggpsmaps.com offers a free version for your computer, and you have to pay to get it to transfer to your GPS, which is nice. Check the gpsfiledepot.com. Look for the editors choice or the ones that say they show land usage on them, and are free. huntinggpsmaps.com/ has the maps there but thy are just the PC versions. Some maps have land usage incorporated in the topo map, others might be just a map layers which ovelays. They will work if you have the right GPS.