PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

velvetfvr
09-15-2012, 09:37 AM
I am a sophomore in HS and my buddies all play football and are begging me to play next year. I would but it interferes with archery season. So I am asking others for their opinions. I will talk to coach before the conditioning starts next year and see if I can get a couple days off. It will take away from scouting but the conditioning will make climbing the hills even easier. So would you play and miss archery for a year or too or not? I only have 1 more junior tag left before the main draw for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caseyu
09-15-2012, 10:21 AM
been in those same shoes! you have your entire life to hunt. you have two football seasons! have fun with your friends you will still get to hunt, just maybe not as much as you want, but who cares you have a lot of hunting ahead of you :) go out there and hit some people!

NDHunter
09-15-2012, 11:28 AM
I agree 100% with Casey and was also in that situation. Unless you are absolutely terrible I would play ball. Although I feel like the coach will say that if you take some days off for scouting, he won't play you. At least that's what my coach would have said. Being on the football team is a lot of fun. Also, depending on how good you are and what your high school is like, I have 2 words for you: jersey chasers.

Colorado Cowboy
09-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I was in the same situation in HS, but my Dad told me I have the rest of my life. Stayed with FB and got to be pretty good, got a scholorship to a major Southern California university. Got me a wonderful education and a great career. Still hunting at 70.
Work at it and you never know!

wapiti66
09-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I agree with all above. Play football, I too got a scholarship for football and that sure makes going to college easier. You will still be able to hunt your entire life, but playing football is a short time frame in life.

velvetfvr
09-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I would only ask for a few days for hunting with a bow. No scouting since I know where the deer are. I think I will give it a try.

bluedunn0
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Play ball. High school football will be with you always. Your teammates will appreciate it!!!

sjsmallfield
09-15-2012, 05:37 PM
One of the reasons I didn't play football in high school was for the same reason as you. All I can say is PLAY. You only get to be in high school for two more years.(Hopefully) Good luck!

velvetfvr
09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
One of the reasons I didn't play football in high school was for the same reason as you. All I can say is PLAY. You only get to be in high school for two more years.(Hopefully) Good luck!

Don't worry, I have so far maintained a 4.0+ GPA and hope to maintain it through HS and college. I think I might just have to do it.

sjsmallfield
09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Don't worry, I have so far maintained a 4.0+ GPA

That is AWESOME kid! Keep up the good work.

velvetfvr
09-15-2012, 05:59 PM
That is AWESOME kid! Keep up the good work.

Yeah, so far the lowest grade I have gotten on my report card is a B and I mean just missed a A. And that was 3rd grade. Thanks for the input fellas and am thinking I will give it a try. My parents are all in for it so I think I will give it a try.

Muleys 24/7
09-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I dropped out of football and wished I didn't. Stick with football,It'll be a great experance.

sjsmallfield
09-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I got a B once...I think?;)

Conrad8899
09-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I agree with every one. Play football U wont regret it. I played from junior high to high school. But I guit my junior year. Had a problem with the coach. Returned my senior year. Only because of my friends begged me back. And I am glad I went back.. Go play.. And keep us posted.....

hvfd21walker
09-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Play ball. I didnt and wish I would of. Your only in Highschool once.

justinthedoc
09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Without a doubt I would play ball, archery seasons will come and go, but high school happens once. Wished I had played, I chose hunting instead. One of many regrets.

jay
09-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I think everyone is giving you the right advice, get out there and play ball! I would take winning a game and hangin out with the cheer squad and "fans" over a stinky hunting partner any day.

Fink
09-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out... I never played organized sports cause it interfered with hunting.. Looking back, I absolutely do not regret all of the time that I spent in the woods with my Dad, Grandpa and various friends. Those are all memories that I’ll have for a lifetime, same as the memories you’ll make playing ball.
My Grandpa died while I was a sophomore in college, if I hadn’t spent so many weekends in middle school and high school hunting with him, I think I’d regret it today, as a majority of my memories with him were made during those times.

Fink
09-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh, and Jay, my girlfriend in high school was on the cheer squad ;)

My hunting partners were also stinky though...

NVBird'n'Big
09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Play for sure, you can still sneak out during rifle season, leave after the game Friday night and be back for school Monday. I remember bye weeks during football season in Oct, damn near half the team including the coaches headed up to hunt for the off weekend.

Brocka
09-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Play, I gave up sports for hunting and regret it.

Jerry
09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm 62 years old and there is not a fall that comes around that I wish I had played sports in school instead of all the other stupid things I did. Play ball, wrestle or any other school activity that comes around. You are only young once, don't miss out on some of the most exciting times of your life!

ivorytip
09-20-2012, 05:43 PM
lets hope you dont mess your shooting shoulder up:cool:

velvetfvr
09-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, hopefully I not good enough for QB.

Drhorsepower
09-21-2012, 12:05 AM
My football coach got mad at me for going deer hunting, that was in middle school, ever since then, my personal choice was hunting, I don't regret it but that's me. I'm not a football fan at all, I wish I did play more baseball though, huge baseball fan.

Go A's!

Timberstalker
09-22-2012, 06:42 AM
If you like football and you get to play, play. Plenty of life ahead for hunting. Me pesonally I hunted, I sucked at sports. It was a no brainer for me, hunt or sit on the bench. I've never regreted not playing.

DeedersWY
09-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I think most hunters have been in your shoes.....here is what i think, have you played football? Do you know that you will love it as much as hunting? If you know that you will love playing football more than hunting, then play, if not, then stick to hunting. Your friends wont shun you if they are true friends if you choose hunting, plus what happends if you go out and play and hurt yourself? Tear an ACL or mess your shoulder up? Then what? No hunting for you this year. Granted you can hurt yourself doing anything, but you up your chances playing football. But take my advise for what its worth, i love playing sports, i loved playing football and i encourage it, but to me it seems like your heart is in hunting and i would follow that.....

dhershberger
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I am also in HS and I have decided to hunt rather than play sports, especially since I drew a pretty sweet deer tag. You don't get the chance at a NM 2B november mule deer rifle tag very often so I decided to focus on that. Just do what you are most passionate about. For me it is hunting so I choose that over sports.

mcseal2
09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Can't make the choice for you, but I wouldn't trade the friends made and lessons leaned playing football, for anything. I am also a big-time hunter but like others have said you have your whole life for that. I would go back and re-live my high school years and the football games in a heartbeat if I had the chance. I bowhunted the weekends and after football season, really didn't interfer that much in my situation.

Chippy Hacky
09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Your choice, but I would drop football. I spent my first deer season in a cast from football. 2 surgeries and 20 years latter and I am fine. but that doesn’t mean that I will be in another 20! Me and my knee regret ever playing it. Love watching it but I risked too much of what I truly love.

You get this little window of time, from when you can go it alone until you get married and have kids. This is the time where you will have the most money and most freedom, spend it wisely.

I remember someone interviewing Jack Nicklaus a few years ago (when Tiger Woods was just going on his run) about Tiger breaking his records. Jack said something to the effect of “wait until he gets married and has some kids, then we will see”. Hmmmm….