PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather

squirrelduster
09-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I just returned from an archery hunt. I found the elk in a horrible canyon. The weather was hot, 85+ each day and only dropping to the 50s at night.
I found a nice bull and a satellite but was worried that if I shot one the meat would spoil before I could get it out. I was hunting alone, I'm 52 in decent shape but the 1200 foot deep canyon that was a mile and a half across intimidated me.
Did I make the right call not going after them?

Ikeepitcold
09-22-2012, 10:03 PM
How long would you estimate it would have taken you to pack him out?

squirrelduster
09-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Probably 4 hrs per trip and 5 trips so probably 2 days. Super steep canyon all packing would be uphill. Sound reasonable?

Ikeepitcold
09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Ya sounds rite to me. If there was no running water in the canyon were you could have kept the meat cool while packing I would say you did the rite thing. Either way you did the rite thing by passing. If you doubted your ability to save the meat then passing was the rite choice.

squirrelduster
09-22-2012, 10:27 PM
No running water in the canyon.
Tough choice.

ssliger
09-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Ya sounds rite to me. If there was no running water in the canyon were you could have kept the meat cool while packing I would say you did the rite thing. Either way you did the rite thing by passing. If you doubted your ability to save the meat then passing was the rite choice.
Well put IKIC!