PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Elk unit 5 - any insight?

TMhunter54
09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I've been invited to muzzleload elk in unit 5 in 2013. I want to be sure that is a good unit to burn my 11 preference points. Has anybody hunted that unit with BP or archery? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

elks
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I've been invited to muzzleload elk in unit 5 in 2013. I want to be sure that is a good unit to burn my 11 preference points. Has anybody hunted that unit with BP or archery? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

WOW 11 pp... Not a chance I would spend my points there unless you had a ton of private land and were the only one hunting it.... Not a chance I would burn 11 points on it.... That nearly double what it took in 2011 at a minimum of 6 for NR. It is a neat area and Muzzy is always a great season, but really it holds lots of rag horn bulls and not many with any size or age.

Colorado Cowboy
12-04-2012, 06:48 AM
TM...If I were in your situation, I would apply for a cow tag AS SECOND CHOICE with pref point as first. I use this strategy all the time. There are 2 advantages: First you get a tag and a pref point and can usually fill your freezer and 2nd, you get to get a good look at the area to see if you really want to burn your points there in the future. I looked at the 2011 stats and looks like you could draw the cow tag. Just sayin.........

elks
12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
TM...If I were in your situation, I would apply for a cow tag AS SECOND CHOICE with pref point as first. I use this strategy all the time. There are 2 advantages: First you get a tag and a pref point and can usually fill your freezer and 2nd, you get to get a good look at the area to see if you really want to burn your points there in the future. I looked at the 2011 stats and looks like you could draw the cow tag. Just sayin.........

Exactly. The perfect solution.... Try it and see what you think.

COLORADO
05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't burn that many pp for that unit I've hunted that unit before there are some big bulls but not many, the bigger bulls are back between farewell mountain, dome peak, and diamond park and diamond park is in unit 14 which is below unit 5.