PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best gps on the market, they seem to have came along way, recently

BuckeyeDIY
03-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Im wanting something that shows topo/satelite images/public land boundaries, if there is such a thing.

bullelk
03-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I bought the Garmin ORegon 400 and it has the topos, but not satellite images. It is a great unit.

BuckeyeDIY
03-20-2011, 06:20 PM
BullElk im gad you posted that, cause Im looking into the Oregon550. On Ebay the pics appear to look like satelite images,or is that just a realy detailed map. Thank you for answering my thread, I hope to hear from you more about it.

shed
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
I have been researching this for a few months now. So far the Garmin62st looks to be the best on the market for my needs. No camera on it, but I always have one with me, so it is not needed. Pricey gps but it looks like the bugs are out of it now.

bullelk
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Mine is actually the 450, which has the maps downloaded, but not camera. I chose this model because I didn't need the camera, but wanted the topos. Since I just got it I haven't done much experimenting, but I downloaded all my waypoints from my very old Garmin 12, and they are now marked on the maps of the new unit. I did use the tracking feature once this winter on a lion hunt and it worked well. I think I am going to be very pleased with the unit, because I rely on gps technology and topos to get around here in Idaho quite a bit. There is also a 3D feature so if you are travelling in the mountains you can actually see the terrain on the map that you can see on your horizion.

jenbickel
03-20-2011, 11:56 PM
I have the Garmin Dakota 20 with a topo map that shows private land and public land. It's pretty much amazing out here! The GPS unit has so many different cool things about it.. and it is a touch screen which makes it really easy to use and you can lock the screen so that youre not setting random way-points as you are walking.. i would highly recommend it :)

pat_estvold
03-21-2011, 07:26 AM
+1
I bought the Garmin ORegon 400 and it has the topos, but not satellite images. It is a great unit.
Add a trax Chip and you will be set http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/html/ndtrax.html

Mike
03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Last fall while hunting antelope I tested a Garmin 550t and had a chip we purchase that put the unit, private and public (State,BLM,and Forest) maps on top of each other. So I was hunting a unit I hunted over 20 years. It found routes into public land that was hard to figure out with a map into country I had never hunted. The photo part I could take photos of water holes and it marked it on the map. For future reference the next hunting season. I can think of several ways to use the camera in scouting. You can down load them to your computer. Just for jollies I went to a USGS metal stake out in know where Wyoming and looked at the GPS and it was right on the nuts. Not a few feet off but right on. The 3D image is good to see what the terrain is like. It has a way to write note on the photos and I think the map for like where you find bucks or you want to remember about something. It's expensive but I found a lot of use for it's functions. Mite even retire my old topo maps don't know? Mike

BuckeyeDIY
03-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone, especially Mikes, I made my wife read his, and now she thinks i should get the Oregon 550, this forum thing is really workin out.

bullelk
03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone, especially Mikes, I made my wife read his, and now she thinks i should get the Oregon 550, this forum thing is really workin out.

Now start a post asking us about the best new bow on the market! Maybe try your luck with asking us about the new pick-ups! What do you have to lose!!??

nybowhuntr
03-22-2011, 07:35 AM
I have the Oregon 550t...I really like the included topo maps. Good luck

shed
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Mr. Eastman, if you get rid of those old maps can I have them. I am sure you have some good info on those maps. FYI, Cabelas has $150 off the garmin 450 for the next two days.

mattm
03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Last fall while hunting antelope I tested a Garmin 550t and had a chip we purchase that put the unit, private and public (State,BLM,and Forest) maps on top of each other. So I was hunting a unit I hunted over 20 years. It found routes into public land that was hard to figure out with a map into country I had never hunted. The photo part I could take photos of water holes and it marked it on the map. For future reference the next hunting season. I can think of several ways to use the camera in scouting. You can down load them to your computer. Just for jollies I went to a USGS metal stake out in know where Wyoming and looked at the GPS and it was right on the nuts. Not a few feet off but right on. The 3D image is good to see what the terrain is like. It has a way to write note on the photos and I think the map for like where you find bucks or you want to remember about something. It's expensive but I found a lot of use for it's functions. Mite even retire my old topo maps don't know? Mike

Mike what chip did you use?

mattm
03-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Mr. Eastman, if you get rid of those old maps can I have them. I am sure you have some good info on those maps. FYI, Cabelas has $150 off the garmin 450 for the next two days.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered mine.

Codes
03-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Check out huntinggpsmaps.com (im gonna guess this is what Mike is using too)

Just got mine and they sure are nice. They are Garmin based. Im using the old faithful 60csx

jenbickel
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Check out huntinggpsmaps.com (im gonna guess this is what Mike is using too)

Just got mine and they sure are nice. They are Garmin based. Im using the old faithful 60csx

That is what I use also in my Garmin Dakota 20 :)

shed
03-24-2011, 09:29 AM
FYI, There are some great deals on Ebay for Garmin gps handhelds, but Garmin will "not honor their warranty" for anything bought off of Ebay. Glad I called them before buying.

Mike
03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey Shed first Mr. Eastmans was my Dad I'm just Mike or M H Eastman. The old maps like me are out of date. They have several ember holes from camp fires scattered on them. But Shed will keep it in mind!
That's a great deal on the 450. But maybe its a good deal because of a new and improved model coming out with updated technology. Just a thought. Mike

mattm
03-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Other than the huntinggpsmaps.com maps has anyone used any other land ownership gps maps. Wonder how the quality is for Utah data?

JeremyBatey
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
I haven't tried others, so I'm not sure what their performance is like, but I have the Bushnell Onix 400. It has satellite imagery as well as topographical imagery. Not to be misleading, you have to purchase the maps. But for something like $30 bucks, one time, they gave unlimited downloads for a full year, and I got a BUNCH of imagery that way. So it was pretty affordable.

goathunter
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
i did alot of research on this before i bought the oregon 450. My requirements were- big screen, memory card compatible (preferably micro sd) and the ability to load custom topos. i looked hard at the delorme pn-60w because of the ability to send satellite text messages and would have probably went with it if you could receive messages as well (2 way) but am happy with my choice. garmin is the only brand huntinggpsmaps.com supports also. i had an e-trex prior to this and knew garmin was a quality brand. the oregon was a definite upgrade though.

mattm
03-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Just down loaded the demo for utah huntinggpsmaps. So far so good. Still looking for feed back on other products. Anyone?

MI-address-ROCKYMTN-heart
03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
I just bought a Garmin Oregon 550t today at Cabelas for $399. It's on sale for $200 off. I don't know for how long or if it's nation wide.

goathunter
04-12-2011, 08:11 PM
that is a great buy

idsean80
05-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I am looking for a new GPS myself and have talked to a few that say the Garmin 62S is the way to go and then buy the 24K topo for the region you want hunt. I like the 24K instead of the 100K for detail to hunt. It runs about 399 at cabelas. I'ver heard its very accuate and great screen in the sun?

wileywapiti
05-05-2011, 08:44 AM
not here to tell you which one to buy, but just the features that i love about mine. I have the delorme pn-40. has its great things and has things im not sure about.....but the things i love about it is the satillite imagery and topo line over-lay. the satillite imagery i can zoom in closer and clearer than google earth. i can pick out individual trees and boulders in meadows. it does not have a camera, but i can mark places and areas i like. i can also go onto the topo software that was included and build routes and transfer those routs to my gps. i can also save a route i just took and transfer that back to my computer and fiddle with it later.