PDA

View Full Version : late rut calling methods

gradycoshooter
09-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I know this is going to vary greatly over different areas but in a week i will be hunting elk here in OK. A week ago i was able to call in my first bull to about 65 yds. I figure the rut is starting to end or is over here. Does anyone have any advise on calling methods to use or should i just use the usual tactics? plus if he responded a week ago do yall still think they will be callable. thanks in advance for any advise!

Old Hunter
09-29-2012, 11:22 AM
If the rut is over for your hunt. All you'll call in are the younger bulls that didn't get any loving during the rut. Cow calls should get them interested.

gradycoshooter
09-29-2012, 11:27 AM
k thanks for the advise! I know in the last two years the bigger bulls are usually still herding cows when we are hunting first season. I guess the bulls are like bucks that when they get all the cows covered they will go looking for more?

Old Hunter
09-29-2012, 11:31 AM
If the older bulls are still with the cows. You're still in the rut. Which can be pretty normal for 1st season.

gradycoshooter
09-29-2012, 11:34 AM
k I hope they are! Thanks for the advise! How is the rib?

Old Hunter
09-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Still a little sore, but should be fine by the 20th.

Thanks for asking.

RUTTIN
09-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Late rut I usually try to use a higher pitched cow call. (like the Imaka the bull crazy) The reason is the younger cows will usually come in to estrus later their first year than the older cows, the bulls will know this and when they hear a younger cow in heat it can be great! Good luck.

gradycoshooter
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the advice! In a week we will see what might happen!