PDA

View Full Version : Long term testing on a heavier arrow #############

ontarget7
09-30-2012, 08:44 AM
I generally stick with a hunting arrow in the 380 - 400 range and have had great success with accuracy and penetration. However I can honestly say I have never stuck with a 400 + arrow for a long period of time. I will be going back to the FMJ's this off season, using them for everything from indoor target, fita, 3D and everything in between . Then sticking with them through next years hunting season. It will make for a 60 + grain weight increase. I'll admit I like the extra speed as well but I would like a long term test to see how the extra weight compares to all the other set ups I have used for any length of time.

The bows I will be using will be

Hoyt Carbon Matrix 70#
Mathews Helim 70#
and possibly the new PSE DNA 60#

Shaun
09-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I am doing same thing this year. Swapping from an Easton Redline coming in around 380G to The FMJ

RUTTIN
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
ontarget7 did you shoot your bull in Colorado with a FMJ? I switched to FMJ's just for that reason, I hit an elk in the shoulder last year with a 400 grain arrow, and thought maybe that extra weight would help for future shots. You do give up the speed, but I think the penetration would be better.

Drhorsepower
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Keep us posted, I see you are in Colorado now, congrats, how does the fam like it?

labman
10-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I did this a while back and found that penetration to me was a lot more important that the few fps I gained from a lower grain arrow. I personally do not like the FMJ but I went back to the ACC with a wrap and really have had good luck with them. My arrow weight is 440 grains and I get 86.5 of kinetic energy. Good luck on your test I look forward to the results! If I remember correctly it only takes 35 pds of kinetic energy to go thorough a whitetail.

Drelk
10-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Very interested in what u find out. FMJs are not perfect(they bend so damn easy). But they r all I will use due to them being quite heavy. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/02/enunumes.jpg
I shot this bull this year. U can see the entrance. Arrow went all the way through. I was aiming slightly back and a touch lower than impact. I was sure glad I had a heavy arrow and a fixed blade. He was dead in 11 yards.

Keep us posted

ontarget7
10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
ontarget7 did you shoot your bull in Colorado with a FMJ? I switched to FMJ's just for that reason, I hit an elk in the shoulder last year with a 400 grain arrow, and thought maybe that extra weight would help for future shots. You do give up the speed, but I think the penetration would be better.

No I arrowed that bull with my Destroyer 350 and a GT Velocity Pro 300 with 100 gr tip and 20 gr weight insert. Blew right through the front shoulder at 40 yards but did not go all the way through. Opposite shoulder was still intact.

ontarget7
10-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Keep us posted, I see you are in Colorado now, congrats, how does the fam like it?

Its going well and we are all liking the area. Can't wait to actually get out and do some serious scouting next year. Plenty of country to get away from the crowds and I have seen elk everywhere :D .. I will probably concentrate on the elk for the Aug/Sept hunt and the deer during the rut in the fall.

Thanks for asking
Shane

ontarget7
10-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I will keep you posted on some results along the way in this testing. Let me know if you have any request and I will try and fit them in

Thanks Shane

ontarget7
10-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Well so far it has been all positive shooting the FMJ 340's @ 459 gr out of my Helim. I guess there is one negative, I can't get past 100 yards with my slider. LOL

Groups tend to be a touch better down range especially when the wind is blowing some, which is to be expected. The bow was fairly quiet already but now even more so, which is to be expected.

Honestly other than in an unmarked 3D event not really sure why I was actually wanting the extra speed. I will keep you posted as time goes by.

Shaun
10-13-2012, 11:53 AM
I am shooting FMJ 300's at 29" with a 100G tip. So far results are amazing. Just got my insanity sighted in today to 70 still have to finish from 80 out. I should be able to make it to about 140 with the slider portion I am hoping. I shot it over chrono and it is at 303 fps witch is putting 102 Lbs of KE should have my penetration issues taken care of.

Maxhunter
10-29-2012, 08:17 AM
I'll be watching this post! I've used FMJs since they came out due to they are usually heavier than most standard 100% carbon arrows. Since I have a short draw of 26.5 and only shoot 65lbs which is more than enough to harvest any North American animal. I like the extra punch with a heavier arrow personally and the FMJ gives me both plenty of speed and momentum to get the job done.

I have no problem blowing through elk with my set-up.

pronghorn
01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
I have used 380 grain Gold Tips for years and have passed through just about everything I've shot. I did shoot some Velocity 300's a few years ago at about 410 grains and they worked just fine. I played around with the Kinetics last year and might give them a try again this offseason.

ontarget7
01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
OK, my set up this year is going to be the PSE DNA at 65# 29" draw with FMJ 340's weighing 455 gr at 295 fps with 88 FT LB of Kenetic Energy. Bareshafts and fletched arrows are flying on the money and will keep you posted on performance down range.

ontarget7
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
OK, my set up this year is going to be the PSE DNA at 65# 29" draw with FMJ 340's weighing 455 gr at 295 fps with 88 FT LB of Kenetic Energy. Bareshafts and fletched arrows are flying on the money and will keep you posted on performance down range.

It was fairly windy but the 455 gr FMJ 340's definitely buck the wind good at 80 yards. I held about 8-10" to the right to compensate. These are flying very well with this setup. I know there has been tons of talk about a higher FOC performing better but honestly I just don't see it. The right dynamic spine and tune are more determining factors than a high FOC IMO. I have shot probably 6 different arrows and 4 different brands through my DNA with FOC ranging from 9.75-16% and will be staying with these FMJ's at just under 10%.

ontarget7
02-06-2013, 10:02 PM
I am a little anal when it comes to tuning and the FMJ's reacted just a touch weak for my liking when bareshaft tuning so I have changed arrows. I ended up with Easton Injexion 330's and they are tuning on the money with bareshafts. They are going to be lighter than what I originally had planned for in the FMJ's but will offer better overall performance for my particular specs and set up.

Specs are 66# 29.25" measured draw, shooting Easton Injexion 330's @ 422 gr @ 310 fps with FOC at 11%.

pramana1976
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Yes, a 30 caliber bullet from a firearm weighing that much should just about bust through the engine of a car or light to medium duty truck and do damage enough to disable it, or if hit in a thick place or at an angle it might bounce off, for the best results use non lead alloy bullets.

ontarget7
03-15-2013, 06:07 AM
I am back to my original plan and shooting the FMJ's this year. They put up some really good long range groups with the DNA. Now, weather permitting, I will be testing them this weekend down range with the Spyder 30.

Just finding them to be tougher than the Injexions due to the smaller diameter shank vs the standard sized.