PDA

View Full Version : Question for the experts?

cabigshot
10-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I have a weatherby mark v ultra light in 300 weatherby mag and in the last few sessions at the range i have had a problem with my bolt being stuck down after the shot. Not every shot maybe 1 out of 7 shots and at the same time that bullet will be a flier by maybe 5 or 6 inches in no particular direction. Any thoughts or advise?

hvfd21walker
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
To hot of loads. To high of pressure.

Ikeepitcold
10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Are you reloading your own bullets?

cabigshot
10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
No factory weatherby ammo, 180 gr partitions?

Chippy Hacky
10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
If you could get a pic of your brass, including a pic of your dented primer?

Chippy Hacky
10-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Call Weatherby, just to make sure that they don't have a recall or something. I have seen this in the overpressure ammo, like the "light Magnum" ammo that Hornady puts out. Is it a new rifle?

Highcountry Dreams
10-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I agree that high pressure is the most likely cause. Is all the ammo from the same lot? Have you ever had issues before? Excess headspace or burrs in the barrel (sometimes from cleaning) are likely culprits. Check your chamber too. I have seen a few with so much oil in them they cause high pressure. Weatherby loads are pretty "hot" pressure-wise to begin with and it doesn't take much to spike pressures above safe limits. At any rate I would not shoot it again until you get it looked at, as strong as Weatherby's are all guns have limits on how many times they can be exposed to overly high pressures. The results of an action coming from together will at best ruin the gun and at worst severely injure the shooter.

cabigshot
10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Thnks for the reply's, I was headed back out tonight if i have another lot number of ammo but sounds like i should get a hold of weatherby before i go to much further. Have a hunt in 10 days hope to get something figured out before then. Thanks again for the help.

woodtick
10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
To hot of load or headspace issues!