PDA

View Full Version : Hunting terminology pet peeves

Doe Nob
10-09-2012, 01:02 PM
The TV thread got me thinking, i thought this might be fun to talk about.

What words or phrases do you find to be like nails on the chalkboard when you hear them? There are a bunch on outdoor TV. I will offer up the following to start:

"A Dandy" - what the hell does that mean, I thought that meant someone who dressed in fancy clothes whose sexuality may be in question. When did we start calling animals with big headgear that?

"Of a lifetime" - I think this should only be reserved to be used by people over 65 or those with terminal illness. WAY overused, I won't know what my "whatever" of a lifetime is until I hang it up or I can't get around enough to go anymore.

Boyaa and BBD are used by particular tv hunting personalities, but why does everyone have to have their own catch phrase? Rediculous. Thanks Eastman boys for "keeping it real." Oh hell now I went and did it! :D

Fink
10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Harvest.... You harvest row crops. You kill deer, turkeys, elk, etc..

Sawfish
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
"SUV". Can't stand this one! You have a Four Wheel Drive with a 2 (or more) speed Transfer Case, locking diffs., mud tires and a winch. Otherwise, you have a "crossover" (another despised term") aka SUV ("slightly useful vehicle").

"Tactical"- This one has infested the SHOT Show. Thinking about inventing "tactical toilet paper". Black, or course, so you cannot tell if it has been used! :cool:

Pronghorn73
10-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Management buck.

Grizz
10-09-2012, 04:07 PM
"SUV". Can't stand this one! You have a Four Wheel Drive with a 2 (or more) speed Transfer Case, locking diffs., mud tires and a winch. Otherwise, you have a "crossover" (another despised term") aka SUV ("slightly useful vehicle").

"Tactical"- This one has infested the SHOT Show. Thinking about inventing "tactical toilet paper". Black, or course, so you cannot tell if it has been used! :cool:

I totally went with the "tactical" theme when I picked out my new lab pup this spring... he is all tactical all the time! Gotta love black labs.

Keeping in the spirit - "shooter, BBD, harvest, giant, long range, extreme, and anything that comes out of Travis "T-Bone" Turner's mouth... ;)

jjenness
10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
How about "boom shaka lacka", "booya", "whackem and stackem", just to give Mr. Martin his credit for totally pointless phrases.

jenbickel
10-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Haha this thread made me laugh! My favorite is joker. (Sorry Grizz, being from back East you probably use this one! Lol just joking buddy!) look at that joker! Which actually sounds like joka! Ahh! Haha

AKaviator
10-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Far be it from me to criticize anyone, I am well known for butchering the english language, However, I've never been big on "mainframe" for antlers; is there a secondary frame?
Great idea for a thread though, thanks Doe Nob.

Ikeepitcold
10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Great topic! Jen I love Joker too!! It's a goodn for sure. Toad, bomber,hog, I really like how Guy says Dude! Cracks me up!

Fink
10-09-2012, 09:13 PM
How about "boom shaka lacka", "booya", "whackem and stackem", just to give Mr. Martin his credit for totally pointless phrases.

Dang it! I love randomly shouting BOOMSHAKALAKA!!

NDHunter
10-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I can't stand it when when guys name their deer. What are they pets? Although when you have 20 trail cameras set up and you know exactly where every buck eats, sleeps and goes for its morning dump, I guess in a way they are basically just a pet.

kcaves
10-10-2012, 07:00 AM
I can't stand it when when guys name their deer. What are they pets? Although when you have 20 trail cameras set up and you know exactly where every buck eats, sleeps and goes for its morning dump, I guess in a way they are basically just a pet.

There's an elk on my buddies land that I call gay elk, he flat out will not respond to a cow call ever. He'll come into a bugle though and he only hangs out with other bulls

brooks
10-10-2012, 05:55 PM
It drives me nuts when a guy hits a critter while bow hunting and screams....Yea Baby...then turns to his camera man with his fist closed and says...give me some baby.....man I hate that. I also hate it when your watching a hunting show and the guy says ...Don't go anywhere, we'll be right back.... Just when you wanted to get up and get a beer.

jenbickel
10-10-2012, 07:02 PM
It drives me nuts when a guy hits a critter while bow hunting and screams....Yea Baby...then turns to his camera man with his fist closed and says...give me some baby.....man I hate that. I also hate it when your watching a hunting show and the guy says ...Don't go anywhere, we'll be right back.... Just when you wanted to get up and get a beer.

Omg yes!! Happens to me all the time too.. Sometimes I go whole episodes without being able to get up. So annoying.

Eberle
10-10-2012, 08:27 PM
What about Lee & Tiffany when say we "crushed him". That is about the dumbest one out there! Thats why I like the Eastman's true hunters up-holding the DIY hunters. I would like to see these so called pros come down to my neck-of-the woods & test their skills!

Brady
10-10-2012, 09:45 PM
When "professionals" on tv use double negatives and say stuff like "ain't no way" or "thunder chicken". I feel like anything Ted Nugent or Michael Waddell's crew says gets pretty annoying, they are just being goofy trying to make someone laugh, begging for attention. Yeah it might be funny the first time, but that's it. Ha, good thread! This is why Eastman's and Jim Shockey are the best on TV!

Brady
10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
OH, I thought of another one.. The Drury guys, can't stand all their reality bull corn where they try to create as much drama as possible, like a bunch of women! haha

6mm Remington
10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I really dislike it when people use the word DUDE all the time. An animal is not ever a management animal. Each one is special and important. Just ask my son Jeff who shot a cow elk as his first elk if she was just a management animal. They are all very beautiful to watch and to hunt, and I really like eating them. Maybe it's not clean enough for television, but to make a show more complete, I would like to see them tastefully show how we split the carcass and quarter an animal for packing, and the darn had work that goes into getting these things out of the woods sometimes. A few years ago my buddy and I snuck in on some elk bedded down at first light. We both had cow tags. He shot first and I shot right after he did. Both of our elk died in their beds without moving from the spot. We then started the work on these "management cows" to get them ready to pack out and spent the next many hours hiking and packing and then doing it some more. We got the last quarters in the truck at about midnight that night after the first shot had been fired at about 0720 that morning. That makes a hunt as much as anything.

chsdaddy
10-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I guided a TV show hunt for a show that is no longer on the air. What I found anoying was how the footage gets edited. During the hunt they filmed all of our discussions and the host kept repeating everything I was saying. When the show was aired it was edited to make it sound like everything we were doing was the hosts idea! I though he was just slow!

I though it would be cool when the outfitter told me who he booked but it was a royal PITA. The camera guys are the unsung heros of that business. I hiked those guys 10-12 miles a day at 10,000' and the camera crap weighed more than my pack.

From the guides perspective I think most of the shows have given hunters a false sense that every bull that hits the ground comes running to a bugle and scores 350. But no one would watch a show where people take there guns and bows for a hike, and they sure couldn't sell commercial time for all the gadets required to be successful now. Fred Bear killed dang near every animal that walks with a red flannel shirt on. And the first outfitter I worked for smoked 3 packs a day. When I asked him if he was afraid the elk would smell the smoke he said, "All ya gotta do is walk away from it, and you'll know you got the wind in your face boy." Not exactly healthy logic, or logic that sells scent lock, but its sound logic!

jjenness
10-11-2012, 10:39 AM
I really dislike it when people use the word DUDE all the time. An animal is not ever a management animal. Each one is special and important. Just ask my son Jeff who shot a cow elk as his first elk if she was just a management animal. They are all very beautiful to watch and to hunt, and I really like eating them. Maybe it's not clean enough for television, but to make a show more complete, I would like to see them tastefully show how we split the carcass and quarter an animal for packing, and the darn had work that goes into getting these things out of the woods sometimes. A few years ago my buddy and I snuck in on some elk bedded down at first light. We both had cow tags. He shot first and I shot right after he did. Both of our elk died in their beds without moving from the spot. We then started the work on these "management cows" to get them ready to pack out and spent the next many hours hiking and packing and then doing it some more. We got the last quarters in the truck at about midnight that night after the first shot had been fired at about 0720 that morning. That makes a hunt as much as anything.

I know that if any serious DIY hunter was given the opportunity to hunt in the places that these TV shows are filmed, any one of us would probably come away with a nice animal. That's just it though, very few hunts on TV are on public land, and many of these shows spend more on hunts in one year than an average American makes in one year. If I had ten of thousands of dollars to spend to hire some prime outfitters for all my hunts, my walls would have to be expanded to host all the trophies. But hey, I am not hating on any of these people that make a living filming hunts for TV, because I am sure that it has its pros and cons just like everything else. That's one reason I am a die hard Eastmans' fan, because so much of their material is done on public land, DIY, and their magazine is comprimised of real American hunters that get the job done.

Brady
10-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I guided a TV show hunt for a show that is no longer on the air. What I found anoying was how the footage gets edited. During the hunt they filmed all of our discussions and the host kept repeating everything I was saying. When the show was aired it was edited to make it sound like everything we were doing was the hosts idea! I though he was just slow!

I though it would be cool when the outfitter told me who he booked but it was a royal PITA. The camera guys are the unsung heros of that business. I hiked those guys 10-12 miles a day at 10,000' and the camera crap weighed more than my pack.

From the guides perspective I think most of the shows have given hunters a false sense that every bull that hits the ground comes running to a bugle and scores 350. But no one would watch a show where people take there guns and bows for a hike, and they sure couldn't sell commercial time for all the gadets required to be successful now. Fred Bear killed dang near every animal that walks with a red flannel shirt on. And the first outfitter I worked for smoked 3 packs a day. When I asked him if he was afraid the elk would smell the smoke he said, "All ya gotta do is walk away from it, and you'll know you got the wind in your face boy." Not exactly healthy logic, or logic that sells scent lock, but its sound logic!

That's no lie about the hosts stealing your words/ideas. Paul Newsom did that to me 10 years ago when he still had his show, post Mossy Oak. I worked for Fair Game TV as a camera man in 2006. It was fun but tough work too. The antelope in my avatar was an episode of Fair Game that aired on Versus in 2009. I'm sure some of the most famous shows get some free hunts but in my experience, the best most shows get is a discount from an outfitter, still nice though. In TV hosts defense, the fastest way to shut someone up (guest hunter, guide, etc) is to stick a video camera in their face, works like clockwork! haha.

wapiti66
10-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't miss paying for cable after reading this thread, I mainly watched hunting shows but haven't had cable for a year and a half due to the things listed here. The list why most of these shows suck is a mile long. I don't blame them for trying, I'm just not interested in paying for that. They also give the antis ammo for their side of the debate when they go crazy over a kill. To end on a positive note...hats off to the Eastmans and a few others that do it right!

Edelweiss
10-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Yes harvest corn, kill animals.

mthuntress
10-12-2012, 12:43 PM
when they make the $ sound.

VTBwana
10-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Wow...reading this, it seems we all agree on this...So; why don't we see more realistic DIY shows? I basically pay for the Outdoor channel for Eastmans, Team Elk and On you own Adventures... the rest just suck. I can't understand how some folks 'farm' for deer; plantic Biologic this and Whitetail Clover that, sit in a blind on a crop field and not feel like they are shooting livestock!?! hell, they raised it just like a heifer.
On my terminology peeve: A Sabot is not a 'sa-Bot'..it is a 'Say-boh'. The word is french for shoe...and I have shot enough APFSDS-T 'Say-boh' from the M1A1 Abrahms tank to know how to pronounce it.

CrimsonArrow
10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
When "professionals" on tv use double negatives and say stuff like "ain't no way" or "thunder chicken". I feel like anything Ted Nugent or Michael Waddell's crew says gets pretty annoying, they are just being goofy trying to make someone laugh, begging for attention. Yeah it might be funny the first time, but that's it. Ha, good thread! This is why Eastman's and Jim Shockey are the best on TV!

Yeah, that's 'No Guff', Shockey seems like one of the good guys.

Edelweiss
10-12-2012, 05:53 PM
If you want to see the highest quality hunting shows produced anywhere look no further than www.huntersvideo.dk

No bs, respect for the animal, no long range, no bubba.

Elkoholic307
10-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Anything Latt Durrance or Dean Taylor say annoy the heck out of me. Also, the word 'harvest' drives me up a wall.

The only two shows that haven't annoyed me are Long Range Pursuit and On Your Own Adventures.

Edelweiss
10-13-2012, 09:06 PM
They all suck, that one that had the wounded warrior SEAL on it was good. Then it turned to crap as they just started hunting Texas high fence.

I'd like to see Todd Hodnett do a hunting show, but I guess when your busy as a defense contractor making millions on sniper math it's hard to get away.

Edelweiss
10-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Or Chris Costa. He's a good TV personality with his shooting training series.

Grizz
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Despite how much I like the guy I've got to throw Shockey under the bus on this one... "I trust my life to my Benjamin 3000 Air rifle and so can you!".................. Really? Trusting one's life to something is a pretty serious claim don't think I'd let my life hang in the balance on an air rifle/bow/clothing, etc. Just making money I know but still... pretty audacious.

ando_31
10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Good thread. I agree with about 95 percent of what everyone else dislikes. Some tv hosts sell out and make ridiculous claims they know are false, and others just don't show any respect with how they speak about animals and hunting. I know this thread is about terminology but lets be honest, pretty much everything discussed in this thread started with tv hunting (or at least the first time I heard all of this terminology was on tv, maybe the hosts just picked it up from other people).

BKC
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM

When I was younger, I heard that this was the term to use so you didn't offend a non hunter, I used this instead of shot or killed. Now there are too damn many people to worry about offending so I just use kill, shoot, droped the hammer, etc..... As more time goes by, I find the anti's are becoming more of a thorn in my side

EdD270
10-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Great thread. I hope the TV folks are reading it.
I agree with most of what's been said. I've about quit watching the Outdoor channel's hunting shows, since they seem to be more about making "stars" of the "TV personalities" and marketing the "personalities" and sponsoring products than about hunting.
I'm tired of the artificial macho of the shows. Shows named "Bone Hunter", and such just tell me I don't want to watch.
One thing not yet mentioned that gets me is "mass". Often I see on the hunting shows a hunter will kill what to me looks like an average size deer or elk. As they walk up on it, usually for the third or fourth time to get good film, they say "look at the mass", as if that makes up for it being an average animal.
For that matter, all the scoring to me is pointless. So often TV hunters will be looking at an animal and say "it looks like about a 150, or 350 or whatever depending on species. When they kill one, they oooh and awww over the rack and points, but never mention how much it weighs. I hunt to put meat in the freezer, and could care less about the rack score. I've never found a good recipe for antlers.
I do enjoy Eastman's shows, Jim Shokey, and Solo Hunting Adventures, although they are clearly not hunting "solo" since there is a camera crew with them.

In God We Trust
10-20-2012, 08:45 AM
"There's an elk on my buddies land that I call gay elk, he flat out will not respond to a cow call ever. He'll come into a bugle though and he only hangs out with other bulls"

I don't care who you are that is funny!

jenbickel
10-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Great thread. I hope the TV folks are reading it.
I agree with most of what's been said. I've about quit watching the Outdoor channel's hunting shows, since they seem to be more about making "stars" of the "TV personalities" and marketing the "personalities" and sponsoring products than about hunting.
I'm tired of the artificial macho of the shows. Shows named "Bone Hunter", and such just tell me I don't want to watch.
One thing not yet mentioned that gets me is "mass". Often I see on the hunting shows a hunter will kill what to me looks like an average size deer or elk. As they walk up on it, usually for the third or fourth time to get good film, they say "look at the mass", as if that makes up for it being an average animal.
For that matter, all the scoring to me is pointless. So often TV hunters will be looking at an animal and say "it looks like about a 150, or 350 or whatever depending on species. When they kill one, they oooh and awww over the rack and points, but never mention how much it weighs. I hunt to put meat in the freezer, and could care less about the rack score. I've never found a good recipe for antlers.
I do enjoy Eastman's shows, Jim Shokey, and Solo Hunting Adventures, although they are clearly not hunting "solo" since there is a camera crew with them.

The deer I shot this year was the size of a cow. Lol when I picked up the meat from the meat plant, they said it was the biggest deer they had ever processed. I was very proud!! Lol. I agree that it's only ever about the rack in the shows. That's why I enjoy watching doe hunting as funny as it sounds because its all about the meat. Don't get me wrong, I love watching shows with huge bucks and bulls too but I get disgusted when a hunter walks up on the animal and is upset over his rack with it not being as big ad he thought or having a point broke off. The deer I shot this year I labeled a cull deer but it didn't make me any less happy about taking him. I had tried hard for a few years to get him and he was an old, smart deer. It was very rewarding to get him and he is by far my favorite deer I have has euro mounted.
The hunting show that I work for I am allowed to kind of do my own thing and so far I have enjoyed doing that. They are from Oklahoma so they are used to hunting from a tree stand. I take my camera and I go by myself. My footage may be a little shakey and not as professional looking but I want to show what it's actually like to hunt out west and not only the challenges we face but also the levels of frustration and everything. I just want it to be real.. Not sitting in a tree stand for 5 minutes and shooting a 200" deer that falls dead in its tracks with a bow.

brooks
10-21-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a friend in Kansas that owns a ranch that some tv guys wanted to lease for whitetail hunting. They leased it and started hunting it. Some big tv hunting names started hunting the ranch and filming. Now this ranch was covered up with big deer and you can but corn down (legal) by your stand to kinda help the big boys along.....EASY hunting but when you saw the show you would think these guys scouted, put in food plots, hung stands, patterned the deer, put in hundreds of hours , ect. ect. but all they did was have my friend put up a feeder under a stand and start filming without showing the corn. The ranch pretty much got shot out of big (160 plus) deer and the tv guys found another ranch in another county. Last year I hunted with my buddy at his ranch and a well known outdoor writer was there and he was hunting for free but he had to put an artical in a hunting mag. in exchange for being there.

Edelweiss
10-21-2012, 07:28 PM
"There's an elk on my buddies land that I call gay elk, he flat out will not respond to a cow call ever. He'll come into a bugle though and he only hangs out with other bulls"

I don't care who you are that is funny!

When I was in high school we went to the USDA sheep experiment station in Dubois Idaho on a tour for Agriculture Education field trip.

They had a whole pen of what they called MOR rams. Male oriented rams! Gay sheep! In their own defense the scientist took us there last, so he didn't have to deal with our antics for the rest of the tour.

Still cracks me up to this day.

HuskyMusky
10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
many non hunters will ask if I "caught anything" while hunting...

I can handle "harvest" but I don't "catch stuff" when I hunt...

Edelweiss
10-27-2012, 01:06 AM
I catch stuff when I hunt; Lyme disease and ticks!

ivorytip
10-27-2012, 07:47 AM
haha the " caught" comment allways has bugged me to. it doesnt even sound right. or when some one says.... i seen 5 deers???? i dont know why but that sounds wierd too. elks deers. sounds better to me as elk, deer.

sjsmallfield
10-27-2012, 07:03 PM
That's pretty funny. Just this morning a guy that lets me hunt his property asked if caught any deers. It drives me crazy. He asks me the same thing every time I stop at the house.

Umpqua Hunter
10-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I always go cross-eyed when someone writes.... "I was stocking this buck".

"Stocking" is something a woman wears on her feet and legs.

"Stalking" is when a hunter sneaks up on an animal to "harvest" it. :p

HuskyMusky
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
how about people referring to elk as "stags"

I saw a stag when I was out west in Colorado... really? aren't stags in europe? haha.

or how about when people are clueless to what a deer is, vs. an elk, vs. a moose, vs a caribou...

I remember in college some girl at a party was like "oh oh look at the moose! on tv.... it was a caribou or elk... not a moose!

at least call it a reindeer... but don't call a caribou a moose or elk... lol.

ivorytip
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
or... i seen a herd of moose

Ikeepitcold
10-29-2012, 08:04 PM
This thread is awesome! I love it!!

Edelweiss
10-29-2012, 08:36 PM
how about people referring to elk as "stags"

I saw a stag when I was out west in Colorado... really? aren't stags in europe? haha.

or how about when people are clueless to what a deer is, vs. an elk, vs. a moose, vs a caribou...

I remember in college some girl at a party was like "oh oh look at the moose! on tv.... it was a caribou or elk... not a moose!

at least call it a reindeer... but don't call a caribou a moose or elk... lol.

Actually all of them are subspecies of deer. Moose being the largest of the clan, and the Alaska-Yukon and Kamchakta moose being the largest of all deer on the planet.

A lot of people call pronghorn antelope "goats". And even their scientific name is antelocapra americana, not capra anything, so they are NOT goats. But I don't really get upset about that either.

And reindeer and caribou are the same sub species of deer, both are rangifer tarandus.

Of course the stag thing really isn't that big either. Red deer are cervus elaphus and American elk are cervus canadus. So that's not that much of a difference. As European moose (elch, Alg, elk, in the native language) are alces alces, and ours are alces shirasi, alces gigas, alces andersoni or alces americana.

Calling a elk a stag isn't taxanomically as wrong as calling a pronghorn a goat.

Either way I think it's kind of silly to get worked up over. Then again I hate the term harvest, with a passion so to each his own.

Ivory tip what do you call a herd of moose anyway? A flight? A bundle? A sack? A muster of moose?

ivorytip
10-30-2012, 12:51 PM
haha, have you ever seen a herd of moose? a large grouop of moose just chilling? and geezedel, you hurt my brain with all of that biological crap. im a redneck here give me some slack:cool:

ivorytip
10-30-2012, 12:57 PM
i belive they call it "yarding" not common to see large groups of moose together, however, i have seen a bachelor herd of 5 bulls together once and that was wierd.

Timberstalker
10-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't watch many huniting shows, simply because I don't think like many of them. One word that has made into the hunting world that I cannot stand is, "ATHLETE". Since when do you have to be an athelete to be a hunter?? When I was in high school all the "athletes" were at practice while I was out killing deer, now they all sit on their azz and watch football while I'm out hunting. You don't have to be an athlete to be an excellant hunter.

Edelweiss
10-30-2012, 03:40 PM
I think I am going to start calling a group of moose a muster. Actually I am going to call the patent office and put a trademark on muster of moose, so some gun writer 30 years from now can talk about how the infamous Edelweiss coined the phrase muster.

In the Navy "muster" is the term for roll call of your troops in morning "quarters" (what the Army calls formation).

Timberstalker
10-30-2012, 04:07 PM
I think I am going to start calling a group of moose a muster. Actually I am going to call the patent office and put a trademark on muster of moose, so some gun writer 30 years from now can talk about how the infamous Edelweiss coined the phrase muster.

In the Navy "muster" is the term for roll call of your troops in morning "quarters" (what the Army calls formation).

I LIKE IT ! A Muster of Moose, thats good.

Drhorsepower
10-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Actually all of them are subspecies of deer. Moose being the largest of the clan, and the Alaska-Yukon and Kamchakta moose being the largest of all deer on the planet.

A lot of people call pronghorn antelope "goats". And even their scientific name is antelocapra americana, not capra anything, so they are NOT goats. But I don't really get upset about that either.

And reindeer and caribou are the same sub species of deer, both are rangifer tarandus.

Of course the stag thing really isn't that big either. Red deer are cervus elaphus and American elk are cervus canadus. So that's not that much of a difference. As European moose (elch, Alg, elk, in the native language) are alces alces, and ours are alces shirasi, alces gigas, alces andersoni or alces americana.

Calling a elk a stag isn't taxanomically as wrong as calling a pronghorn a goat.

Either way I think it's kind of silly to get worked up over. Then again I hate the term harvest, with a passion so to each his own.

Ivory tip what do you call a herd of moose anyway? A flight? A bundle? A sack? A muster of moose?

Calling pronghorn, goats is my pet peeve, they are not a goat, actually not even close! They aren't even an antelope, but that's the closest thing I guess. It's one of those things where I wonder who came up with calling them a goat and what they were thinking.

I think doing it on television just shows your ignorance.

Bitterroot Bulls
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I guess I am guilty of most of this stuff: "Shooter, harvest, monster, etc." I kind of like it when people get excited about hunting.

I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as it does some other guys.

I don't care for the ridiculous inflated B&C scores on most hunting shows. If those are the real scores I have seen A LOT of 180 mulies out there.

Drhorsepower
10-30-2012, 06:14 PM
True that last paragraph bb.

Edelweiss
10-30-2012, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why they get so hung up on shooting 4 & 1/2 year old deer or whatever their age number is.

Why don't they shoot 8 or 9 year old bucks, or does and fawns if they really care about quality deer management?

Edelweiss
10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Elk are the same way, if they have something wrong with them we should kill them when they are raghorns, if not let them get old and big.

Grizz
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM

Hahaaaaa... no, no, the plural for moose is MOOSEN! Just ask Brian Regan... just about crapped my pants on that one.

hardstalk
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
many non hunters will ask if I "caught anything" while hunting...

I can handle "harvest" but I don't "catch stuff" when I hunt...

More than possible to catch deers!! Haha. 4519

Shaun
11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Diddnt want to read through them all so I am not sure if this one was already posted. But Freak Nasty is the one that annoys me more than anything

Roboz
11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Stan Potts - "Just give me a minute folks"

Cant stand any of the Dream Season team members, they all think pretty highly of themselves.

Edelweiss
11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I like in this order:

Wayne van Zwoll

Larry Weishuhn

Mike Eastman

Craig Boddington

My don't like list is much larger.

Stan Pee-Potts is not at the bottom but I am not a fan.

HuntWYODon
11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Calling pronghorn, goats is my pet peeve, they are not a goat, actually not even close! They aren't even an antelope, but that's the closest thing I guess. It's one of those things where I wonder who came up with calling them a goat and what they were thinking.

I think doing it on television just shows your ignorance.

Ahh ! finally found someone else that doesn't like the term goat ! The only goats I ever hunted were Spanish (feral) goats on Catalina Island along with feral hogs. I like to call them lope's or loper's.

HuntWYODon
11-01-2012, 04:58 PM
i belive they call it "yarding" not common to see large groups of moose together, however, i have seen a bachelor herd of 5 bulls together once and that was wierd.

What about a "band" of sheep ? Who thought that one up ...?

I agree with someone on this thread about naming animals they are hunting.
I call them either dead or alive.

HuntWYODon
11-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Yeah, that's 'No Guff', Shockey seems like one of the good guys.

Have you ever seen his wife ? WOW ! I saw both of them at the Sportsman's Convention 2009 Salt Lake.
My girlfriend got mad when I wanted to go up and talk to him and ger her autograph... LOL ! He was a nice guy.

Edelweiss
11-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Shockey's wife looks like a Shania Twain clone, only prettier and not a vegan idiot.

hardstalk
11-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Shockey's wife looks like a Shania Twain clone, only prettier and not a vegan idiot.

I blew coffee out my nostrils. Thanks edelweiss!