PDA

View Full Version : Late, Late rut elk hunt Oct-24-28 Oregon

Islandwarrior233
10-13-2012, 03:52 AM
First time hunting elk in 8 years. Done my homework on the unit, and on how to process the animal. Any last minute advice on finding or calling a good bull? I have been reading about the big dogs staying in canyons by themselves, but I am in college and I need to get back asap, so if I see a 4 point on the opener he is going down. Game plan as of now is to get in the woods on the day before at about 10am. I will scout around the whole day and try to find herds, but also look in the bottoms of canyons. Should I be looking for anything in particular in the canyons other than dark wallows? Imnaha Unit, Oregon.

ivorytip
10-13-2012, 07:40 AM
ive had good luck hunting late oct bulls in isolated aspen pockets, and timber ofcourse. they want to be alone. ive been startled by big bulls being pushed out of isolated aspen pockets during deer hunts far to often for it to be a chance thing. good luck. dont be afraid to let an ocasional bugle out, they might not be interested but they do want to be alone and theyll alot of times bugle back letting ya know that that spot is taken. good luck. just a location call.

Old Hunter
10-13-2012, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't mess with wallows that late in the year. They stop using them when it cools off.

Big bulls will be alone. Rut should be over. Herds will have the younger bulls. Those will be your best bet. You could even call them in with a cow call.

Islandwarrior233
10-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Pete! I also watched the video you posted, and I am leaning towards boning it out now.

Old Hunter
10-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Sure is easier on the back. :)