PDA

View Full Version : Wool or synthetic long underwear

JMSZ
10-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I've got military issue cotton and polypropylene so far.

I'm looking for something light-weight to replace the cotton for wear on a daily basis in the mountains that won't lose it's insulation properties if it gets wet.

I started out last week with just pants and layering on top (t-shirt, polypro shirt and flannel shirt or insulated jacket), that normally works just fine for me at lower elevations until it gets into the 30s.

I was up at 8600' - 9500', it was in the 50s-60s during the day, but I started realizing that it was a bit damp, the kind of stuff where hypothermia creeps up on you.

Next year, I'm going to need to wear underwear from day 1.

Any preferences/suggestions?

Drhorsepower
10-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Merino wool from any manufacturer that makes it 100% merino wool. I prefer redram because of price. Any will do though. I will never wear another underwear again.

sjsmallfield
10-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Hands down merino wool. I just started wearing it this year and I like it alot better than any of the synthetic I have worn in the past.

Murdy
10-15-2012, 07:19 PM
I've been using UA longies for the past couple years. I tend to sweat a lot when I move, even mid-winter. It does a good job drying out. Never tired the merino products (except socks), but I picked up a pair of redram on sale over the summer, and am looking forward to trying them out when it gets cold.

Chippy Hacky
10-16-2012, 11:32 AM
I go UA on the bottoms and Merino on top. UA bottoms mainly because I have them and they work real well with wool pants over top. I don't know about Merino wool Chonies though, just sounds like a bad idea although they say it's o.k.

JNDEER
10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Poly works fine until the temps get and stay warm. They then will have a tougher time drying out quickly and will cause some "butt itch"....it is quit annoying.

I went to wool and there is no "butt itch".......but if your always hunting in the cooler temps you could probably go either way and be fine.

miller1
10-16-2012, 05:49 PM
You can wear marino wool for a week and it wont stink, 1 day of synthetic and it smells like mudd butt. :eek:

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

JMSZ
10-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Poly works fine until the temps get and stay warm. They then will have a tougher time drying out quickly and will cause some "butt itch"....it is quit annoying.

I went to wool and there is no "butt itch".......but if your always hunting in the cooler temps you could probably go either way and be fine.

So I'm not the only one - the smell gets pretty rank with any synthetics I wear. The polypro pants also cause itching and some other ugly side effects, so I won't wear them as a base layer.

The redram look pretty nice and are significantly cheaper than the Kuiu - I can get 3 pairs of the redrams for the price of 2 pairs of the Kuius.

Edelweiss
10-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I get more itch from polypro Underarmour than I do from wool.

labman
10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I really like my first lite merino wool!!

Whisky
10-18-2012, 10:52 AM
I get more itch from polypro Underarmour than I do from wool.

As do I. I stay away from all UA baselayers now. I like merino in cooler temps. I don't wear any of that stuff in warmer temps however. It all gets me too hot.

I do have 1 piece of that med weight Capilene stuff from Patagonia. I haven't used it enough to know how it compares to my med weight merino tops. But the little I have used it, I like it. It's far more comfortable than any UA stuff I've used.

John G
11-07-2012, 12:08 PM
I use minus33 merino wool base layer and its just great. I use the lightweight tee year round and move up the the mid weight when it gets cold. It clearly has the best hand feel and the price is competitive.

squirrelduster
11-07-2012, 09:53 PM
I hunt Colorado a couple years ago and used some polypro. Holly crap did I stink. None of that oh you smell a little bad but that full blown smells like something died smell after two days of hiking.
I now have some Kuiu 185 top and bottom and have never been able to smell anything. I use the 185 top during the summer as my only shirt and it is amazing. You don't over heat even in 100 degree weather. Kuiu just came out with a new Merino 230 with a brushed fleece on the inside. Soon to be my new favorite cold weather shirt.
Hard to go wrong with any of the Kuiu clothing. I was on the first shipment list and have worn it for a couple years. No holes rips or anything and I've been in horrible brush.

John G
01-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Well that’s the end of my hunting season (Unless I get invited to go rabbit hunting) I want to follow up on the Wool base layer discussion. There are several good brands out there but wool is the way to go. Don’t even think of buying a blend as you’ll get all the bad effects of synthetic and less of the good effects of the wool.
I have used Minus33 for years and they just came out with a boot high bottom. This is a short bottom that only comes down to the top of your boot. (its designed for the skiing folks This new boot high bottom with a tall sock was a great advantage when wearing my high winter boots. By the way I see minus33 has a full Mossy Oak camo line I will have to get some for next year.
I hunt from early fall to end of December in Northern New England and 100% wool is the only way to go. If you don’t believe me or the other guys on the forum just try a set and see for your self

Kevin Root
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
+1 for me on 100% good Merino Wool for the reasons mentioned above. Low stink on multiple day hunts, helps stay warm in cool weather and cool in warm weather, comfortable less clammy feel than synthetics I've had, exceptionally high warmth-to-weight ratio to name a few....

Grantbvfd
01-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Merino wool and nothing but. Used it all season and only washed once. Little to no odor at all. Dries quick and does great for a base layer.

mistertrustee
03-29-2013, 12:36 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ as stated above, I would go merino over synthetic any day. Look into the Core4Element stuff. Its priced very well and I've been real happy with it.

dihardhunter
03-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Wool, your hunting partners will appreciate it!

LintonOutdoors
06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
if you sweat when you hunt, then you want merino wool boxers or bottoms. The odor control with Merino wool is no joke. I'm a sweaty hard hunting/hiking fool and I can stink up a pair of poly synthetics as fast as anyone. I hate having to change shirts after every day, and in the backcountry packing 2 extra shirts and boxers is unnecessary weight. First Lite merino wool is awesome! I can wear one shirt and one boxer for a 3 day hunt without changing. Though I usually bring a second pair of boxers for drying, cause I am usually still a little damp from hunting hard until last light when i crawl into my sleeping bag. The First Lite Llano (http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/first-lite-wool-llano-crew-ls/) is a great hunting shirt and the First Lite Red Dessert Boxer (http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/first-lite-wool-red-desert-boxer-short/) is great as well. I have used an abused both for the last 3 years. Also there is absolutely no itch to the fine merino wool. Its a thin material that breaths and drys quickly.

sagehunter
08-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Wool for sure