PDA

View Full Version : DIY elk hunting info

rascal
10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I went on my first elk hunt this last sept. A full week of chasing and calling montana elk with out the oppurtunity of releasing a arrow. Its almost been a month and I fear ive come down with elk fever. I am already starting to collect info on my first diy hunt. I went with an outfitter to get my feet wet but want to diy my next. I dont no if it is ettiquet to ask for info on states and units to look into but any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

labman
10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I did my first elk hunt ever and it was DIY in CO. I had an amazing time and went with no expectations of killing and I did not fling a arrow either. Although I called a elk within 15 yards the first morning and had a tree blocking my shot. It is a huge adrenaline rush and there is nothing you can take for ELK FEVER!!

rascal
10-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I hear u labman. i saw a 360 bull and got busted by a cow and a 330 that just wouldnt come in to shooting range. How was CO, any suggestions on where to start looking to hunt.

labman
10-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I hunted in GMU 81 and went about 6 miles back and did not see another hunter!!

rascal
10-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks labman for the info. I will research it definitely.

canvsbk
11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
PM sent....

jjenness
11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Most general season area's in MT should provide you with some good archery elk hunting. You can also look into some of the limited special draw areas that have high draw odds, to get into some good elk. PM me if you have any questions.