PDA

View Full Version : Havalon Knives

brent.wheaton
10-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Just received my Havalon knife for my subscription. Are these good knives? What do you think about them for deer and elk? I would think for skinning they would be great.

Bitterroot Bulls
10-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Varied opinions:

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3532

I really, really like mine, and I have used it for years.

sjsmallfield
10-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't have any experience with elk but for deer I love my Havalon. I have used mine to field dress, skin, quarter and cape. Just be careful around the joints. If you put too much pressure on the blade it can snap!

In God We Trust
10-20-2012, 07:30 AM
I used mine for the first time last week on my elk. One thing I will say is the blade can pop off if you get a little rough with it. I had that happen once and it could have turned out bad. Those things are extremely sharp and if you loose a blade and get your hand the cut will be deep. They are great knives though and the blades are easy to replace.

Wyoflightmedic
10-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Used mine on 2 elk and 1 deer so far. I love it. I am going to buy the longer bladed one next week.

spotnstalk1
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
i have used them to skin and bone a few bulls now and i love them. There are other knives that are more durable but these are very, sharp. They will break if you're not careful around bones. Usually takes me anywhere from 3-5 blades to completely skin and de-bone a bull. I love them because they are light for backpacking.

Edelweiss
10-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Dangerous Junk!

You can buy 3 or 4 Cold Steel Finnbears or Mora knives for the same money. The biggest difference is that the Cold Steel and Mora knives won't break apart and cut you to smithereens in the back country.

For $100 you can buy a Spyderco or CRKT with a ATS-34 blade that will do damn near a whole elk.

For $500 you can buy a Diamond blade knife that will do 10 elk without being sharpened again.

I used to have a love affair with razor bladed swap handle knives at work. I figured out it's easier to sharpen a good knife than get stitches over a crappy one.

HiMtnHnter
10-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Havalon's are awesome! I've used mine on antelope, deer, and elk.

Ikeepitcold
10-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't care for mine. To flimsy and the blade can snap off. I've heard the bigger blade works better.

BKC
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
I've had my havalon for about 5 seasons now and have used it for about 12-15 animals. It is perfect in the field if you use it for skinning and getting rid of the belly. Be careful around bones because as everyone else has said, they will snap if you twist it the wrong way. The new longer one looks like it will break easier, although I have never used it . I pack band aids with mine because you will cut yourself eventually. If you concerned about weight, this is the knife. Buy it in orange so you dont lose it.

Old Hunter
10-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Dangerous Junk!

You can buy 3 or 4 Cold Steel Finnbears or Mora knives for the same money. The biggest difference is that the Cold Steel and Mora knives won't break apart and cut you to smithereens in the back country.

For $100 you can buy a Spyderco or CRKT with a ATS-34 blade that will do damn near a whole elk.

For $500 you can buy a Diamond blade knife that will do 10 elk without being sharpened again.

I used to have a love affair with razor bladed swap handle knives at work. I figured out it's easier to sharpen a good knife than get stitches over a crappy one.

I don't get your post? How much do you think the Havalon costs? I paid $33 for mine, and it comes with 12 extra blades. More blades cost $6.50 for a dozen. If you're not ham fisted you can easily do a whole elk with one blade. Seems pretty cheap to me.

buckbull
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I just got mine when I renewed my eastmans subscriptions, cost something like $10 (shipping price). I wish the knife and blades came with a carry pouch so that I could keep them together. Mine showed up in a box. The knife did great on the antelope I shot earlier this month.

sjsmallfield
10-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I wish the knife and blades came with a carry pouch so that I could keep them together.

Hey buckbull. They do make a sheath for their knives. Check out their website. You can get one in leather or nylon.(the nylon is about $6.00) The sheath will hold the knife and a box of extra blades. The only thing I would tell you is don't put the sheath on your belt because the stitching on the belt loop is a little weak.(my friend almost lost his) Good luck!

Old Hunter
10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah, mine came with the nylon version, but I bought mine. I guess you get the economy version for free. :)

jay
10-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I was also very disappointed with the havalons. Within 5 minutes i went through 3-4 blades working a bull elk. Maybe I did pry on it a little bit but would not trust this as my only knife in the field. Good thing my other 2 partners were able to pick up the slack while i was changing blades. I will carry the extra weight and know I have a good knife! Those who swear by them must have the hands of a surgeon.;)

Bubba19
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Sharp, Very Sharp... Cut myself 3 times boning out a buck...The blade broke on me once... There ok. I will continue to use mine till i cut a finger off. LOL

Old Hunter
10-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Sharp, Very Sharp... Cut myself 3 times boning out a buck...The blade broke on me once... There ok. I will continue to use mine till i cut a finger off. LOL

So, you can only keep from cutting yourself with dull knives? :)

Drhorsepower
10-24-2012, 11:02 AM
IMO a dull knife is a dangerous knife.

Montana
10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
I doubled down on elk this weekend and let me tell you the energy you save on a sharp knife. I love mine, incredibly sharp which saves you energy on big animals.... Just to get your butt kicked on a pack out:) I went through 2 blades on the 2 elk.

Umpqua Hunter
10-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I love em...I've gutless field dressed five animals with mine this year. I just use my Benchmade around the hip sockets.

It's one of those products that I look at and think "why didn't I think of that one"....lol

mcseal2
10-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Those who are breaking the blades on the Piranta model should check out the Barracuta. I have both and prefer the much thicker and stronger 4" blades on the Barracuta for everything but caping.