PDA

View Full Version : Jerky in the oven

jay
10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Does anyone make their jerky in the oven? If so what temp do you set it at and for how long, maybe even some good seasonings to try. Thanks

Edelweiss
10-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Temp needs to be under 200 F.

A lot of folks will prop the door open an inch.

I use the following seasonings, but i like mine kind of Mexican.

black pepper, Lime, Tequila, chili powder, oregano, and garlic. Mix all that in a blender with lots of salt. You could probably google how much salt per pound of meat on some kind of jerky forum.

Minus the tequila is the same mix I use on skirt steak for fajitas and on chicken thighs on the BBQ.

Whisky
10-22-2012, 04:54 PM
I've done some in a smoker and now plenty in the oven. I personally rather cook it in an oven than a smoker. I make sure to add some liquid smoke to my marinade if doing it in the oven. Your cooking time will depend on how thick you slice the meat. I have no idea how thick I cut mine, all I can tell you is I use the #2 setting on my LEM meat slicer. It really shrinks up so cut it thicker than you'd think. It will look too thick but once cooked, you're good.

200 degrees, stick a metal utensil in the door to crack it. Check often and pull the pieces that are done to your liking out and let the rest continue. It require babysitting. Of course I'm kind of picky. Some pieces are done after 3-4 hours, some take 6. It varies.

This is for 2lb of meat. Adjust accordingly for more or less. I always made sure I was on the heavy side of seasonings instead of the light.

2# meat, whole or ground (I usually use whole)
2T Brown Sugar
1T Red Pepper Flakes
2T Worch. Sauce
1T A1 Steak Sauce
1T Liquid Smoke
4T Soy Sauce
1t Mustard Powder
1t Onion Powder
2t Salt
1t Cracked or Black Pepper
1t Garlic Powder
1/4 Can of Beer

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php/3612-Meat-Seasonings

Fink
10-22-2012, 07:20 PM
I usually finish mine in the oven, after smoking for about 4-5 hours. Put your oven about as low as it will go, and prop the door open a little. You have to check it often, or you'll end up with something about the consistency of a potato chip.

My go to recipe consists of red wine, soy sauce, franks red hot, louisianna hot sauce, red pepper, black pepper and onion powder.