PDA

View Full Version : Orange

Edelweiss
10-25-2012, 06:28 AM
A lot of folks don't follow the orange rule in their trophy photos.

I have also noticed it in major magazines, and on tv. Heck some of these folks don't wear orange in the field.

Regardless of how much safer I really think it makes me, I have decided it would be a stupid thing to get a ticket for.

Even while hunting antelope.

In Elk country, unless I had the only tag in the area. I can't imagine taking it off.

I have even seen a outfitter on tv take off a guys orange hat (Wyoming) and rub it against a fireburned tree to camo up the orange during a sheep hunt.

So if we aren't obeying the laws on orange, what else are we looking the other way on?

Just my 2 cents, not trying to start a war. I just thinks folks should do the right thing. Especially when they post it on a forum or on tv.

Colorado Cowboy
10-25-2012, 07:32 AM
For most of my life (until I retired 12 years ago) I lived in California. There is no Orange rule. A hunter can wear full camo (or for that matter any clothing) if they want for any type of hunting. Used to pack a deer out on my back occasionally and was always concerned about another hunter seeing the deer and ......well you get the idea. I ALWAYS carried an orange piece of cloth and covered the deer's head completely.

Better safe than sorry!

bigsky2
10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
I always wear orange while hunting, but I always take it off for my photos. I just think it looks stupid. I also take it off every time I get into the vehicle.

BKC
10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Once, the animal is laying on the ground, you're not hunting any more.

Old Hunter
10-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Once, the animal is laying on the ground, you're not hunting any more.

You are until you get the meat out, and stop carrying a gun.

Old Hunter
10-25-2012, 08:21 AM
I've always worn orange. Even when the state didn't require it.

What I don't understand in Colorado is why bow hunters don't have to wear orange? They hunt during the same time as muzzle loader and some rifle hunters are hunting. The DOW claims that game don't see blaze orange like we do, and aren't spooked by it. I agree with that, So, why don't bow hunters have to wear it? When I asked a warden that question. he just scratched his head, and gave no answer.

btw For those who hunt in Colorado. You know of course you have to wear 500 sq in of blaze orange. Did you also know if you wear a backpack that isn't blaze orange that you can get a ticket? If you cover your back with a camo back pack, or some other color other than orange. That you don't have the 500 sq in showing anymore. My back pack is blaze orange. You can also use a spare orange vest to cover the back pack.

I leave antlers on the ground. I have no use for them, but that not the case for most hunters. I've seen them coming off the mountain with no orange worn, and the antlers strapped to their back. Are they crazy!! You look like an elk to another shoot happy hunter that will shoot at anything.

Not me. I want to look like a big blob of blaze orange to any other hunter. Those who don't wear blaze orange when it's not required are foolish.

Kevin Root
10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree that wearing orange keeps someone safer or seen better. Like others have mentioned even when the law says it's not required how safe are you? When turkey hunting spring or fall for instance, wearing orange is not required while hunting here in my state but what about the other guys out there hunting other animals, pigs, coyote, etc.. in season with a rifle. Just a thought.

BKC
10-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I thought this was about wearing orange for your photos. Isn't there a difference between being legal and being safe. If you want to be 100% safe then don't go solo hunting. I will para phrase the rules for colorado. 500 sq inches of orange ( not camo orange ) worn above the waist as an outergarment, and a portion of that must be on the head visible from all directions. Where does this say you have to have an orange backpack. It also says that "we strongly recommend wearing orange in the field when not hunting". Once you have signed your tag, I don't see how this affects the photos or the trip out.

HuntWYODon
10-25-2012, 10:47 AM
I've noticed the same thing on tv shows and in magazines and always wondered why they don't . I don't know if its required on private property or not but I doubt it. States I know off hand that don't require it are Ca.,Nv.,Az.,Id., and pretty sure Or. and N.M. . I've always liked Wy. Idea of just one article of clothing.like a hat. Sometimes I wear a orange hat in Ca.. just depends where I'm hunting . I'm really surprised Ca. Hasn't imposed a law requiring orange with the population/amount of hunters per capita. We all know about helmet laws and government control over our lives because they know what's best for us right ?

llp
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
It seems that many have been brainwashed to think hunter orange is some magic safety shield. I hunt in many states each year, some that require orange and some that don't. I follow the law, but don't wear orange when not required. Some of the states without a requirement have the lowest accident rates. I have no objections to removing a hunter orange hat, for example, during a photo session. Most all photographers realize the hat can add shadows and hide the person's face. I don't go out of my way to avoid all orange in photos, but have no problem hanging a vest in the bush nearby and staging a quality photo. I'm not hunting at that point and have no worries about someone shooting into a area where I am conducting a photo shoot. I do hang some flagging tape from antlers, particularly in thicker, brushy country during a pack out. I see no reason to encourage others to shoot my direction, but I really think this concern is overblown by many without much hunting experience.
llp

BKC
10-25-2012, 02:21 PM
It seems that many have been brainwashed to think hunter orange is some magic safety shield. I hunt in many states each year, some that require orange and some that don't. I follow the law, but don't wear orange when not required. Some of the states without a requirement have the lowest accident rates. I have no objections to removing a hunter orange hat, for example, during a photo session. Most all photographers realize the hat can add shadows and hide the person's face. I don't go out of my way to avoid all orange in photos, but have no problem hanging a vest in the bush nearby and staging a quality photo. I'm not hunting at that point and have no worries about someone shooting into a area where I am conducting a photo shoot. I do hang some flagging tape from antlers, particularly in thicker, brushy country during a pack out. I see no reason to encourage others to shoot my direction, but I really think this concern is overblown by many without much hunting experience.
llp
Very well said. I ride my horses without helmets and once in awhile ride my Harley without a helmet. I keep all things in perspective and not try to overthink what can be safe vs. what can be safer.

HuntWYODon
10-25-2012, 02:56 PM
llp

llp, yeah I forgot to mention that. States that require hunter orange like Ut. and Co. have more hunter accidents than states like Az. and Nv. who don't but Ut. and Co. have far more hunters in the field. That could be part of their reasoning.
I know, not about wearing orange during photo ops so I'll refrain fron posting anymore.

Edelweiss
10-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I have taken 42 big game animals, I would guess my level of "experience" is probably somewhere in the middle.

Beyond that I know 2 hunters that have been shot by other hunters. Both are alive today, but I think that has more to do with luck than anything else. One on the elk refuge in Jackson Hole, and the other in Spain. The one in Jackson was covered in blood and packing out his bull elk. So his orange was ineffective. The one in Spain was wearing green.

I have seen several people quote "not wearing orange as safer". Every single state game and fish site I looked at this morning said that even in areas where Orange was not the law of the land it was highly recommended.

Several states had statsitics that supported that it was safer, here's one example.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9186.html

hardstalk
10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Only time i dont wear orange is when I am archery hunting. I got shot in the face with birdshot while dove hunting once and almost ended up in prison!! One tree line over from where we were setup some guys hiked in and were unaware that we were there. The birds flew past our treeline and they let loose. I heard pellets whizzing by and caught a couple to the face. One in the eye. Lost vision in that eye instantly. Luckily it came back after about a half hour. Right after the pellets came in contact with my face instincts took over and i ran straight toward them gun in hand. My buddy tackled me (thank god). And we resloved the fact that noone was at fault but both parties could have been more cautious.

Old Hunter
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I thought this was about wearing orange for your photos. Isn't there a difference between being legal and being safe. If you want to be 100% safe then don't go solo hunting. I will para phrase the rules for colorado. 500 sq inches of orange ( not camo orange ) worn above the waist as an outergarment, and a portion of that must be on the head visible from all directions. Where does this say you have to have an orange backpack. It also says that "we strongly recommend wearing orange in the field when not hunting". Once you have signed your tag, I don't see how this affects the photos or the trip out.

How could you be showing 500 sq in if you have the back of it covered with a backpack? Why not just put your jacket over the whole vest? You'd still be wearing 500 sq in. Common sense bud.

Kevin Root
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I've been pelted by bird shot, or also heard it dropping all around me more than a few times while out bird hunting over the years. Luckily the shot has not harmed me like what hardstalk writes. The incident in my case wasn't that I was not wearing blaze orange, I was but it was other hunting parties that were hunting too close to me and not paying attention to their line of fire and what was in the near distance.

There are inherent risks when we go out and hunt or most any activity for that matter. The average person still has a much greater chance at getting killed from heart disease, cancer or a stroke than being shot and killed while hunting or not hunting for that matter. I try to follow the law and wear blaze orange when required. I also agree that blaze orange catches my eye and it is a safety tool. If I wanted to be seen by clothing alone by search and rescue, or seen a bit easier by another person hunting, blaze orange would be a good choice for me.

I understand why some states require wearing it, why they make it a law and when hunting why it makes sense for some folks to wear it as a tool to help aid others in seeing them a bit better.

Old Hunter
10-25-2012, 04:11 PM
llp

I have enough experience to know I don't like being shot at. Those who think blaze orange doesn't work might not have enough experience.

BKC
10-25-2012, 04:24 PM
How could you be showing 500 sq in if you have the back of it covered with a backpack? Why not just put your jacket over the whole vest? You'd still be wearing 500 sq in. Common sense bud.

Measure you vest, front and back , most vests are 800 sq. inches, most Jackets are well in excess of 1000 sq. inches You can wear 500 square inches of orange, with your hat giving you about 75 sq. inches of that, and still wear a hunting day pack. Just read the law, don't put your spin on it and try to make everyone agree.

Old Hunter
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I didn't put a spin on anything. I called the DOW, and they told me to use a BO pack, or cover it with a BO vest.

Just passing on the info.

Timberstalker
10-25-2012, 04:37 PM
In Oregon its only required that youths under the age of 18 wear it. It depends on where I am hunting if I wear it or not. There are places I hunt where very rarely do I see other hunters, I don't wear it. If I am in a popular spot, which I usually avoid, I will. I am glad it isn't a law in my state. I just don't like wearing it if I don't feel its neccasary, I'm glad we have the choice as adults in Oregon. I hunted in Montana once where it is the law. I took it off for the photos, I thought it looked goofy.

Fink
10-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Every year you hear about some idiot that fires his gun off in the direction of some movement... My thoughts are that even that idiot will see the orange before he shoots. If there's a firearms or muzzleloader season going on, I'm wearing orange.

Wearing orange looks a hell of a lot less stupid than wearing a coffin.

ivorytip
10-25-2012, 05:18 PM
old hunter, next time you shoot a big bull or buck shoot me the cords. ill come get the antlers for ya:) and yeah i deff wear orange when hunting a popular area but when packing in i dont. my bro was shot at several years ago while we were working our way up a ridge, he was wearing a thick brown coat. there are some crazy @$$ shooter out there (i wont call them hunters) this year i had a guy yell at me for not wearing orange, he said i was stupid cuz he almost shot at me. i said "i'm the stupid one when your the one that almost shot at something you didnt know what it was? you need to stay off the mountain sir" . goes to show we should wear orange. i think hunter ed copurses need to not be so liberal as to who can pass or not. some sort of comon sence rule of thumb should play into it.

Old Hunter
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
old hunter, next time you shoot a big bull or buck shoot me the cords. ill come get the antlers for ya:) and yeah i deff wear orange when hunting a popular area but when packing in i dont. my bro was shot at several years ago while we were working our way up a ridge, he was wearing a thick brown coat. there are some crazy @$$ shooter out there (i wont call them hunters) this year i had a guy yell at me for not wearing orange, he said i was stupid cuz he almost shot at me. i said "i'm the stupid one when your the one that almost shot at something you didnt know what it was? you need to stay off the mountain sir" . goes to show we should wear orange. i think hunter ed copurses need to not be so liberal as to who can pass or not. some sort of comon sence rule of thumb should play into it.

That's the problem. Some Bubba buys a gun, jumps in his truck, and comes to Colorado to buy an OTC tag. He'll shoot at anything that moves. I want to put the odds in my favor. I don't see wearing a vest as a big deal. They don't weight much.

Timberstalker
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE

Wearing orange looks a hell of a lot less stupid than wearing a coffin.[/QUOTE]

Good point

MSUcat61
10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
A family that elk hunts the same area we do had always been notorious for not wearing orange. Well a father and son had wounded a cow and had split up in the timber looking for her. The dad sees brown in the timber and figures it's the cow because it was the only thing in there. Shoots it only to find it is his dead son in a Carhart jacket. Super sad story but highlights the benefit of blaze orange and also knowing what you're shooting. I've never understood how you could do this as you not only need to know, is it not a human, but you need to know, is it an elk, deer (muley or whitetail), moose, bear, stump? is it a bull or a buck? and is it the trophy quality I want? After all this I can't understand stories of incidents like this.

Also, I always put tons of orange on my horse when hunting from horseback. Definitely don't need some idiot shooting my horse. Especially after that idiot shot and tagged a llama a couple of years ago in Montana.

I also really like some blaze orange upland game hunting. Your eye can pick up blaze orange really easily, even when swinging a shotgun.

Old Hunter
10-26-2012, 10:27 PM
You not only have to identify what animal it is, but you have to aim at the kill zone. Nobody could shoot a human if they were doing that. It just goes to show that guys are just shooting at something moving, and hoping it's what they want. Stupid!

Edelweiss
10-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Yes and Orange helps to stop some stupid.

I agree, I look better in Orange than a coffin.

Colorado Cowboy
10-27-2012, 06:56 AM
The DOW claims that game don't see blaze orange like we do, and aren't spooked by it.

I have read what the biologists say and I am not too sure I agree 100% with them. Animals may not see orange as orange as they say, but they definately know something is different when they see orange. I believe it is said they see orange as white or grey. On more than one occasion I'v been sitting looking at an area I know holds deer or elk and have one or more step out where you can really see what they are doing. One of them will look at me and stare and never look away. Eventually they are all looking and then they split. I know I didn't move a hair usually the wind was in my favor, but it just makes me question the statement that they don't see you any different when you are wearing orange. But with that said...in my mind the safety factor alone justifies orange.

BKC
10-27-2012, 07:42 AM
I have read what the biologists say and I am not too sure I agree 100% with them. Animals may not see orange as orange as they say, but they definately know something is different when they see orange. I believe it is said they see orange as white or grey. On more than one occasion I'v been sitting looking at an area I know holds deer or elk and have one or more step out where you can really see what they are doing. One of them will look at me and stare and never look away. Eventually they are all looking and then they split. I know I didn't move a hair usually the wind was in my favor, but it just makes me question the statement that they don't see you any different when you are wearing orange. But with that said...in my mind the safety factor alone justifies orange.

I agree, I don't know what color they see but it is very different from all the other colors they see. When we can spot orange 500 yards away, through the timber, so can they.

anglinarcher
10-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I also have a bigger day pack that covers up too much orange from my vest. I picked up an orange rain cover you can get at sportgoods stores. I break that out particuarly when I am packing game out.

Granted I am not a big fan of orange but I grew up wearing it hunting and I keep it on during the "hero shots" afterwards. Outside of positioning the deer or elk for the picture, I like to capture what it was like during the hunt.

trkytrack2
10-27-2012, 11:17 AM
I've always worn orange. Even when the state didn't require it.

What I don't understand in Colorado is why bow hunters don't have to wear orange? They hunt during the same time as muzzle loader and some rifle hunters are hunting. The DOW claims that game don't see blaze orange like we do, and aren't spooked by it. I agree with that, So, why don't bow hunters have to wear it? When I asked a warden that question. he just scratched his head, and gave no answer.

btw For those who hunt in Colorado. You know of course you have to wear 500 sq in of blaze orange. Did you also know if you wear a backpack that isn't blaze orange that you can get a ticket? If you cover your back with a camo back pack, or some other color other than orange. That you don't have the 500 sq in showing anymore. My back pack is blaze orange. You can also use a spare orange vest to cover the back pack.

I leave antlers on the ground. I have no use for them, but that not the case for most hunters. I've seen them coming off the mountain with no orange worn, and the antlers strapped to their back. Are they crazy!! You look like an elk to another shoot happy hunter that will shoot at anything.

Not me. I want to look like a big blob of blaze orange to any other hunter. Those who don't wear blaze orange when it's not required are foolish.

I see it as muzzleloaders and rifle hunters hunting during the bowhunting season in Colorado. One of the many stupid rules that the DOW has enacted trying to appease everyone & make more $$$$$ for their coffers.

Edelweiss
10-27-2012, 04:35 PM
If you keep orange on during the "hero shots" with the animal you don't have to prove to the game warden that you are wearing it. As the proof is in the photos.

Old Hunter
10-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I see it as muzzleloaders and rifle hunters hunting during the bowhunting season in Colorado. One of the many stupid rules that the DOW has enacted trying to appease everyone & make more $$$$$ for their coffers.

You want bow hunters to have a whole month to themselves? Why? Are they special?

MSUcat61
10-27-2012, 06:35 PM
You want bow hunters to have a whole month to themselves? Why? Are they special?

Bow hunters don't have their own season in Colorado? It seems crazier to me that they don't. So you have some people wearing orange hunting with muzzleloaders while others are archery hunting in camo at the same time, in the same area? Seems unfair to the archery hunters.

Colorado Cowboy
10-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Yep...ML's get a week during the bow hunter's month long season. Don't seem very fair to me. But I'm not a bow hunter, so what do i know!

BKC
10-27-2012, 08:45 PM
If you keep orange on during the "hero shots" with the animal you don't have to prove to the game warden that you are wearing it. As the proof is in the photos. How is that proof! If you can take it off for the photos then you can also put it on for the photos. You should be wearing it during the hunt to be legal, if reqd., but not for the photos. Why and when would you have to prove to a warden that you were wearing orange ?

Edelweiss
10-27-2012, 11:36 PM
I agree, but unless he was sitting on a hill watching what you were doing.

I don't actually ever take it off until I walk into the house at night. Not trying to beat the system, just don't want to be Noslerized by some idiot.

Old Hunter
10-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Bow hunters don't have their own season in Colorado? It seems crazier to me that they don't. So you have some people wearing orange hunting with muzzleloaders while others are archery hunting in camo at the same time, in the same area? Seems unfair to the archery hunters.

They have 3 weeks for themselves, and one week they have to share. I'd gladly give up 1 week to have 3 weeks for muzzleloader season.

ivorytip
10-28-2012, 12:46 PM
i think most stats give archery hunters a month to themselves during september. in a couple of units in idaho they now have a controlled muzzy elk hunt first part of oct wich is pretty cool.

BKC
10-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I agree, but unless he was sitting on a hill watching what you were doing.

I don't actually ever take it off until I walk into the house at night. Not trying to beat the system, just don't want to be Noslerized by some idiot.

Don't worry, I shoot barnes !

Edelweiss
10-28-2012, 04:42 PM
BKC,

you are a funny guy!

BKC
10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Edelweiss, I enjoy this forum and the back and forth banter. There are a lot of good people on this site. Sometimes I may come across wrong but I mean well.

Edelweiss
10-28-2012, 07:19 PM
BKC,

I enjoy the banter too, this is the only hunting forum I have found where people are still respectful of eachother.

I think I would rather be shot by a Greenie with a barnes x-bullet than anything other than FMJ bullet.

At least if they didn't kill you, the rest of the bullet would not give you poisoning.

Vanish
10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Now, let's all pretend we're deer hunting in a subpar unit on the front range of Colorado. The 4x4 road is unfortunately still open. You see a half dozen people in orange (other hunters), but what is interesting is the DOZENS of people you are seeing bopping about in grey, brown and black. A girl wearing grey pants and a brown down vest jogs by and you catch her eye. She comes over, looks at you wearing your orange and carrying a rifle and asks "Are you scouting?"

Why is it that only hunters have to wear orange during the season? Why is it that if you are with someone hunting, maybe just lending your eyes, you don't have to wear orange?

llp
10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Interesting to see the different cultural aspects of this issue. Different regions have very different "traditions" related to hunter orange. Being old enough to remember hunting in plaid jackets as the standard, hunter orange is a "modern" fashion. Anybody who has only ever worn hunter orange can't be that old, or at least didn't hunt many years ago.

It is interesting to see the passion from Colorado residents on this issue. With one of the most stringent orange requirements, Colorado also requires hunter ed for anyone born after 1949. So apparently the hunter ed class doesn't sufficiently instill the concept of identifying your target well enough that lots of orange is still required?

I have nothing against hunter orange. Nothing particular against hunter ed classes either. But thinking that either one of these makes the hunting field safe is what is really foolish. Nobody (under age 62) can just show up in Colorado to hunt big game for the first time without passing hunter ed first. Stupid behavior isn't changed by government required classes, or clothing of specific color. I've been "watched" through a rifle scope several times when in Colorado (while wearing legal orange), and typically have a few strong words for these idiots when possible. And I expect that the careless idiot who someday shoots a hunter doing this will say he didn't see the hunter orange the guy was wearing.

Wear all the hunter orange you want, it is fine with me. I've seen several guys who looked like walking pumpkins, dressed head to toe in hunter orange. I won't be surprised to see some of these guys wearing orange boots and hunter orange underwear. If it makes them feel better, I really don't care. Just don't start making more laws requiring me and everyone else do the same.
This whole idea of "feeling better" and imposing these "feelings" on the rest of the nation is the big problem in our country. The nanny state some of you advocate will have us all wearing bullet proof vests to go hunting before long. After all, it would make you "feel safer".

Hunting is a very safe endeavor. Most gunshot related injuries occur from accidental discharges, or otherwise unsafe gun handling practices. Relatively few people are actually shot by someone who mistook them for game. Everyone is a tragedy, but none more so than the guy who dies after tripping and shooting himself in the ensuing fall. Dead is dead. In the high country where I typically hunt I worry as much about lightning and falling from a cliff. I encourage people to take proper safety precautions. Wear orange when required. Understand your own physical limitations, and treat your firearms / bows/ muzzleloaders as the lethal weapons they are. But take responsibility for your own actions, and don't rely on some law or government action to keep you safe.
llp

Fink
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Wear all the hunter orange you want, it is fine with me. I've seen several guys who looked like walking pumpkins, dressed head to toe in hunter orange. I won't be surprised to see some of these guys wearing orange boots and hunter orange underwear. If it makes them feel better, I really don't care. Just don't start making more laws requiring me and everyone else do the same.
This whole idea of "feeling better" and imposing these "feelings" on the rest of the nation is the big problem in our country. The nanny state some of you advocate will have us all wearing bullet proof vests to go hunting before long. After all, it would make you "feel safer".

To me, it's just a simple matter of personal safety.. If states didn't require it, I'd still wear it. Personally, it's just too easy to throw on an orange hat, or an orange vest.. While there aren't many hunting accidents, I'd be pretty disappointed in myself, if I became one of them, and I wasn't wearing orange. I really don't think you can deny that it makes you easier to see, and if someone can quickly and easily identify you as something to not shoot, why wouldn't you wear it? Cause it looks stupid? Cause the nanny state says you have/don't have to wear it? Those don't seem like great reasons to me.

It's kinda like seatbelts... They save your life, and the state (most of them) require you wear them, and it's easy to put it on.. Why not wear it? Cause it makes me look stupid?

Old Hunter
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Well, i'm definitely old enough to remember when all we wore was red and black plaid wool clothing, and no orange. It was a different time, and hunters were hunters who had been doing it all their life. Starting as a youngster with their dad. It's different now. Besides a lot more hunters. We have some trigger happy hunters out there now. They pay a lot of money to come hunt the western states, and by God. They're going to shoot something! I don't feel safe with them in the mountains the same time as I am.

So, I wear my orange now. Under it is still my red and black plaid wool clothing. What did you expect? I shoot a muzzleloader, and fish with bamboo fly rods and silk lines. No interest in modern gimmicks!

Colorado Cowboy
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
I hunted in California most of my life until I retired and moved to Colorado. As you know, no orange required in Cailf.I never had a problem big game hunting during the 45 years I hunted there. Had several times that I got sprayed with shot when I was dove hunting. First time I ever had to wear orange was in Wyoming many years ago and then was just a hat...which I like. I personally don't think it mkes all that much difference in somebody getting shot or not. If some idiot is going to shoot you (or himself for that matter) orange isn't going to prevent it from happening.

I taught hunter safety in Calif and saw the statistics of hunters having a gunshot wound while hunting. the majority of the them were self inflicted. Don't guess orange would have made any difference!

Old Hunter
10-29-2012, 01:12 PM
The stats you'll never see is how many who might have got shot if they weren't wearing orange. We just don't know that.

Seriously, what's the big deal in wearing orange? I wear a hat anyway. What difference does it make if it's orange, or something else. I can't see it when i'm wearing it. The same with the vest. To me it gives me a couple of extra pockets. Not a big deal to wear. I don't get some of you guys?

trkytrack2
10-29-2012, 02:48 PM
I bowhunted Colorado when it WAS bowhunting season only; no muzzleloaders. Felt a hell of a lot safer than now. I have no problems with any muzzleloaders; just get back half a mile or so from the roads and you will hardly ever run into one. DOW ought to give the muzzleloaders the whole month of December, just like it is in Nebraska. And there's nothing to stop a muzzleloader from hunting during any of the rifle seasons....it is a rifle, isn't it?

Old Hunter
10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Bow hunters can hunt rifle seasons too. See how that works?

How about two weeks for ML, and two weeks for bow hunters. Unless you want to take those Dec hunts?

Edelweiss
10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
The stats you'll never see is how many who might have got shot if they weren't wearing orange. We just don't know that.

Seriously, what's the big deal in wearing orange? I wear a hat anyway. What difference does it make if it's orange, or something else. I can't see it when i'm wearing it. The same with the vest. To me it gives me a couple of extra pockets. Not a big deal to wear. I don't get some of you guys?

I am guessing that Orange helped you get to be an old hunter?

Vanish
10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
I think someone missed my point. I grew up hunting in NY, no orange required and one of the lowest injury states out there. I wear orange now because it is required by the state, not because I love hunter orange.

If you reread my post, I point out the stupid part of having to wear orange ... that anyone out there not hunting can dress up like a deer and be perfectly legal.

Old Hunter
10-29-2012, 04:04 PM
I think someone missed my point. I grew up hunting in NY, no orange required and one of the lowest injury states out there. I wear orange now because it is required by the state, not because I love hunter orange.

If you reread my post, I point out the stupid part of having to wear orange ... that anyone out there not hunting can dress up like a deer and be perfectly legal.

How do you make laws for everybody out there? Put a sign on every tree?

sjsmallfield
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
How do you make laws for everybody out there? Put a sign on every tree?

It seems to me that the Forest Service has plenty of other laws. (camp fires, bear boxes, no ohv's, etc.) It stands to reason that they could add one more to make hikers and backpackers wear orange during the fall if they wanted to.

Old Hunter
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't see any of those signs where I hunt, but I don't hunt near camping areas and public hiking trails. Every now and then I see a sign saying i'm entering NFS land. That's about it.

Smart hikers won't be out there during hunting seasons. Stupid hikers would ignore the signs.

Just saying.

sjsmallfield
10-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm just saying a law is a law. Some people follow them and some don't. I just happen to be one that does. I could care less about who wears orange and who chooses not to. I am one of the guys like you that wears it regardless if it is required or not. To each their own. Smart hikers?

ivorytip
10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
just curious, im gonna do a little research online and see if accidental shootings involved people that were actualy wearing orange. im guessing prob. people hear movement in the brush and shoot. we have all noticed movement on the mountain before and raised our rifle to check through the scope, we all have. you shouldnt have a bullet chambered anyway. and nobody can mestake a human for any wild animal. the one thing i like about guys in orange is they are easy to pick out off a mountain and i know not to go that way.

Old Hunter
10-29-2012, 06:21 PM
just curious, im gonna do a little research online and see if accidental shootings involved people that were actualy wearing orange. im guessing prob. people hear movement in the brush and shoot. we have all noticed movement on the mountain before and raised our rifle to check through the scope, we all have. you shouldnt have a bullet chambered anyway. and nobody can mestake a human for any wild animal. the one thing i like about guys in orange is they are easy to pick out off a mountain and i know not to go that way.

That's one of the perks of not using a scope. I don't need to raise the gun to see better. :)

Fink
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
That's one of the perks of not using a scope. I don't need to raise the gun to see better. :)

It's also one of the perks of owning a pair of binoculars.

Muleys 24/7
10-29-2012, 09:14 PM
the one thing i like about guys in orange is they are easy to pick out off a mountain and i know not to go that way.

That's the only thing I like about orange.

BKC
10-29-2012, 09:21 PM
As I'm sure many of you know, I am not a big fan of orange. I believe that as humans can see orange real well in the open terrain, so can animals. I try to limit the amount of orange that I have to wear to be legal. I know if I wore orange head to toe I would probably stand a better chance of not getting shot. This is a risk I accept. I want to hunt and I have to wear a certain amount of orange to hunt in Colorado, no problem, I will wear it, but I am not going out of my way to dress up head to toe in orange. I also believe that muzzleloaders should get a longer season but am willing to accept what the season is now as long as archers don't get any of their seasons extended. There is talk about giving them 1 more week and letting the muzzleloaders have their week all to themselves. I hope that doesn't happen.

Muleys 24/7
10-29-2012, 09:27 PM
As I'm sure many of you know, I am not a big fan of orange. I believe that as humans can see orange real well in the open terrain, so can animals. I try to limit the amount of orange that I have to wear to be legal. I know if I wore orange head to toe I would probably stand a better chance of not getting shot. This is a risk I accept. I want to hunt and I have to wear a certain amount of orange to hunt in Colorado, no problem, I will wear it, but I am not going out of my way to dress up head to toe in orange. I also believe that muzzleloaders should get a longer season but am willing to accept what the season is now as long as archers don't get any of their seasons extended. There is talk about giving them 1 more week and letting the muzzleloaders have their week all to themselves. I hope that doesn't happen.

BKC,I'm with you, not a fan either. But I know deer can't see it. I was in UT this last week and there was several does heading my direction feeding and looking up all the time. There was times I thought they seen me but the kept coming my way until they winded me at 30 yards.

wapiti66
10-29-2012, 09:40 PM
To me orange is something else to buy, pack, and snag on trees limbs (my cheap vest). I do wear it when required, and only the min. coverage, otherwise Im all camo. I think it may have something to do with the wardens being able to watch you more easily also. The only time I feel like I could be a target is if Im packing out a head with horns on my back, then I'd put some orange on the rack.

trkytrack2
10-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Bow hunters can hunt rifle seasons too. See how that works?

How about two weeks for ML, and two weeks for bow hunters. Unless you want to take those Dec hunts?
Sure bowhunters can hunt the rifle seasons with a bow; just have to wear the orange pumpkin suit. The main reason muzzleloaders won't get any longer seasons is the DOW's take on success rates; muzzleloaders are rifles and some of those new in-line ones are capable of some long range shooting....two/three hundred yards. Kinda takes away the primitive part of the equation. I wouldn't care one way or the other if muzzleloaders hunted the entire length of the archery season. I very seldom ever see a muzzleloading hunter other than time at camp. I do wear an orange cap when their out and about though. I also would like to be able to hunt in December to get a crack at those big mulie bucks, wouldn't you? But getting back to the orange thing, no-one that I have ever hunted with has ever been shot at, killed or anything concerning muzzleloaders here in Colorado.

Old Hunter
10-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Sure bowhunters can hunt the rifle seasons with a bow; just have to wear the orange pumpkin suit. The main reason muzzleloaders won't get any longer seasons is the DOW's take on success rates; muzzleloaders are rifles and some of those new in-line ones are capable of some long range shooting....two/three hundred yards. Kinda takes away the primitive part of the equation. I wouldn't care one way or the other if muzzleloaders hunted the entire length of the archery season. I very seldom ever see a muzzleloading hunter other than time at camp. I do wear an orange cap when their out and about though. I also would like to be able to hunt in December to get a crack at those big mulie bucks, wouldn't you? But getting back to the orange thing, no-one that I have ever hunted with has ever been shot at, killed or anything concerning muzzleloaders here in Colorado.

What i'd love to see is to have a primitive muzzleloader season all by itself. Flintlock, round ball, and black powder. Then I could care less where they let the inline muzzleloaders hunt. I'm sure longbow/recurve hunters feel the same about compound bow hunters. Maybe put the flintlock/longbow-recurve hunters in the same season, and the inline/ compound hunters in another season.

As for Dec hunts? Not for me. Too old to plow through the snow. Been there, done that.

trkytrack2
10-30-2012, 11:42 AM
I heard or read somewhere that Idaho has a primitive season such as that. I agree it would be a good idea. These Chuck Adam types that take 100 plus yard shots with a compound bow aren't my cup of tea. I may be in the minority as a traditional bowhunter, using a longbow, but I get a hell of a lot of satisfaction in doing so.

ivorytip
10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
good point old hunter:) another beautifull thing about that lever action 30-30. a special season for traditionl bow and traditional muzzy would be allright by me. that would be pretty neat. but then i guess wed have to go make a special season for sling shots and spears too:cool:

Edelweiss
10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
We have enough seperate seasons. The way things are going, spear season will be before blowgun season, but after tomahawk season. The nice thing about tomahawk season is you can carry 3 tomahawks, but you only get 2 spears during spear season.

Inlines shouldn't even be considered for a blackpowder season, let alone their own season, and I agree compounds are not archery.

At least the crossbow is 800 years old. Can't say that about the compound.

BKC
10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
We have enough seperate seasons. The way things are going, spear season will be before blowgun season, but after tomahawk season. The nice thing about tomahawk season is you can carry 3 tomahawks, but you only get 2 spears during spear season.

Inlines shouldn't even be considered for a blackpowder season, let alone their own season, and I agree compounds are not archery.

At least the crossbow is 800 years old. Can't say that about the compound.

Bare handed season should be 365 days per year. Nevermind, the MMA guys would get all the good animals !

Old Hunter
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
BOWIE KNIFE SEASON.

Hunt like a man!

WYcoyote
10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I believe in personal freedom with safety issues like this. the same with seat belts, motorcycle helmets, etc. If you choose not to wear them you are the one responsible for what happens to you. Even if it wasn't a law I would wear a seatbelt going down the highway.
I wouldn't wear blaze orange when big game hunting if it wasn't mandated, but bird hunting in crowded public areas with heavy cover I think it's a good idea.
How refreshing it would be to be allowed to make up your own mind when you feel safe or not, and how to dress yourself.

Old Hunter
10-31-2012, 08:21 AM
How do you think it would work out if we set our own speed limits too? How about those pesky red lights?

Colorado Cowboy
10-31-2012, 08:54 AM
How do you think it would work out if we set our own speed limits too? How about those pesky red lights?

Sorry, that is like comparing apples and oranges. PUN intended!

Old Hunter
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
No it isn't. Laws are made to protect us. Whether you like it or not.

Unless you want to go back to the old days when the strong survives?

Colorado Cowboy
10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Well I guess we agree to disagree, I personally think the orange rule here in Colorado was really setup so the Wardens can see the hunters easier. Who knows, if they had their way archery hunter might be wearing it to. Just my opinion!

mthuntress
10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
It does matter if you dont know your target. We lost a hunter opening weekend becuase someone didnt know target and that hunter was dressed from head to toe in orange.Enjoy life to the fullest you never know when it will be your last day.
BE SAFE AND WATCH YOUR SIX!

Old Hunter
10-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Well I guess we agree to disagree, I personally think the orange rule here in Colorado was really setup so the Wardens can see the hunters easier. Who knows, if they had their way archery hunter might be wearing it to. Just my opinion!

What do you mean if they had their way? If what you think is true. The bow hunters would be wearing orange.

Edelweiss
10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
It does matter if you dont know your target. We lost a hunter opening weekend becuase someone didnt know target and that hunter was dressed from head to toe in orange.Enjoy life to the fullest you never know when it will be your last day.
BE SAFE AND WATCH YOUR SIX!

He had head to toe orange? And still got shot?

Do you have any links to an article, that's really sad.

WYcoyote
10-31-2012, 10:14 PM

The difference is how does me not wearing a seat belt or orange affect you.

Edelweiss
10-31-2012, 10:54 PM
You not wearing orange effects me in this way:

1. I can see where you're at, so I am less likely to walk in between you and an animal.

2. I can see where you're at so when I raise my rifle to shoot at an elk and I see your orange jacket behind the elk I stop and don't shoot.

3. I can see where you're at so I don't blow your stalk.

4. I can see where you're at so when I see you lying down on your belly with a broken leg it helps me to notice you might need help.

5. I can see where you're at so when you are archery hunting during rifle season and standing behind your painted carboard "extreme" cutout of an elk I don't kill it, and you.

I CAN SEE WHERE YOUR AT!

You get to come home safe to your family, and I get to not spend my life wishing you would have worn orange.

Old Hunter
11-01-2012, 07:42 AM
The difference is how does me not wearing a seat belt or orange affect you.

I'd feel bad for your family when you get shot for not wearing orange.

anglinarcher
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
They have 3 weeks for themselves, and one week they have to share. I'd gladly give up 1 week to have 3 weeks for muzzleloader season.

If you want to hunt for a month, learn to shoot animals with a stick and string with the rest of us.

Old Hunter
11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
If you want to hunt for a month, learn to shoot animals with a stick and string with the rest of us.

I would if my beat up shoulder would let me. I'm already shooting the muzzleloader at bow ranges, so it would be an easy change for me.

BKC
11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
I would if my beat up shoulder would let me. I'm already shooting the muzzleloader at bow ranges, so it would be an easy change for me.

Shooting a muzzleloader at bow ranges and shooting a bow at bow ranges are two different worlds!

Old Hunter
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
You're right. The guy with the bow will be in a stand. I won't be.

My point was I know how to get close.

trkytrack2
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
You not wearing orange effects me in this way:

1. I can see where you're at, so I am less likely to walk in between you and an animal.

2. I can see where you're at so when I raise my rifle to shoot at an elk and I see your orange jacket behind the elk I stop and don't shoot.

3. I can see where you're at so I don't blow your stalk.

4. I can see where you're at so when I see you lying down on your belly with a broken leg it helps me to notice you might need help.

5. I can see where you're at so when you are archery hunting during rifle season and standing behind your painted carboard "extreme" cutout of an elk I don't kill it, and you.

I CAN SEE WHERE YOUR AT!

You get to come home safe to your family, and I get to not spend my life wishing you would have worn orange.
I understand your points except for #5. In Colorado here, if a bowhunter hunts with a bow during any rifle season, they must wear orange, yes, but it would take a totally mindless person to hide behind a elk decoy during any season, especially any rifle or muzzleloading season.

WYcoyote
11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Boy are we miles apart on this orange thing.
1) There are many more times I do NOT want to be seen by others than times I do. I MAY NOT WANT YOU TO SEE WHERE I"M AT!
2) Wearing orange is by no means a guarantee of safety, you still need to know you have a safe backstop, the person in orange can be screened by grass, brush, etc.
3) Not everyone out and about are mandated to wear orange, like nonhunters, guides, ranchers looking for cows, hikers, etc, so you better be alert for people not in a neon suit at all times.
4) As a believer in freedom and personal responsibility, I would go to the dirt for your right to make up your own mind when and where to wear orange and when not to. If heaven forbid I shot you in an accident, or if by someone else, I would feel just as bad for your family as you would for mine, but I would not blame you for what you were wearing, orange or not, nor would I attempt to mandate how you dress.
5) If you hide behind a decoy during rifle season, it's possible you are too stupid to live anyway, and it would be a good way to cleanse the gene pool.

BKC
11-01-2012, 08:42 PM
1) There are many more times I do NOT want to be seen by others than times I do. I MAY NOT WANT YOU TO SEE WHERE I"M AT!
2) Wearing orange is by no means a guarantee of safety, you still need to know you have a safe backstop, the person in orange can be screened by grass, brush, etc.
3) Not everyone out and about are mandated to wear orange, like nonhunters, guides, ranchers looking for cows, hikers, etc, so you better be alert for people not in a neon suit at all times.
4) As a believer in freedom and personal responsibility, I would go to the dirt for your right to make up your own mind when and where to wear orange and when not to. If heaven forbid I shot you in an accident, or if by someone else, I would feel just as bad for your family as you would for mine, but I would not blame you for what you were wearing, orange or not, nor would I attempt to mandate how you dress.
5) If you hide behind a decoy during rifle season, it's possible you are too stupid to live anyway, and it would be a good way to cleanse the gene pool. But if we saved the life of just one person wouldn't it be worth it to mandate a new law and make everyone wear orange in the forest 100% of the time !:confused: Hopefully you see the sarcasium in this!!!

Edelweiss
11-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Orange works, it's not rocket science.

If you wear a full length orange coat or orange shirt, you will be seen.

If you wear a tattered scrawny orange hat or beat up orange vest, and somehow make it through the day without getting a ticket, you might not come home.

You can be the guy wearing a coffin, I'll wear orange.

And as far as not wanting to be seen by other hunters, unless you are breaking the law I can't see the intelligence in that.

WYcoyote
11-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Orange works, it's not rocket science.

If you wear a full length orange coat or orange shirt, you will be seen.

If you wear a tattered scrawny orange hat or beat up orange vest, and somehow make it through the day without getting a ticket, you might not come home.

You can be the guy wearing a coffin, I'll wear orange.

And as far as not wanting to be seen by other hunters, unless you are breaking the law I can't see the intelligence in that.

One of my treestands is in a less than obvious spot that is quite close to a public road and on public land. When I am in the tree I am very visible I'm sure by road hunters when decked out in orange. As I have taken several good deer from this stand I must confess I hide my orange when a truck comes by. In fact I did so just about 3 hours ago. I have never seen another hunter there and wish to keep it that way. (One example)
I suspect that your hunter density may be somewhat more that what we have here.
If it is that bad where you're at I'd wear body armor.

mthuntress
11-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I heard it made the front page of a paper don't know whick one.

Edelweiss
11-03-2012, 03:36 AM
http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/superior-man-shot-to-death-while-hunting/article_d957bc4e-3735-55a9-a51b-22646c1508dd.html

Is this it?

ivorytip
11-03-2012, 06:32 AM
good gosh! yeah i think ill be sticking with the back country pack hunts for now on. wow

anglinarcher
11-05-2012, 09:24 AM
You're right. The guy with the bow will be in a stand. I won't be.

My point was I know how to get close.

Me nether. Narrow point of view if you think everyone sits in a stand. The majority of bowhunters I know spot and stalk.

If the smokepolers want to have a larger season, even though they can hunt during other season fine by me, but dont abreviate mine for someone else shortcomings.

anglinarcher
11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
5) If you hide behind a decoy during rifle season, it's possible you are too stupid to live anyway, and it would be a good way to cleanse the gene pool.

Thanks WY coyote, you took the words out of my mouth.

Fink
11-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Not to drag this up from the depths ;) (Haha, who am I kidding). A hunter was killed this weekend in Missouri. He was not wearing orange. Perhaps an orange vest and hat would have saved his life?

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1915105.html

BKC
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Not to drag this up from the depths ;) (Haha, who am I kidding). A hunter was killed this weekend in Missouri. He was not wearing orange. Perhaps an orange vest and hat would have saved his life?

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1915105.html

Perhaps ?