PDA

View Full Version : when to make a move

dying to kill
11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
alrighty fellas throw me some in put here, iv been chasing this 6-8 year old bruiser of a whitetail since start of bow here in ok, and only seen him 1 time (oct 1st) until this morning i had him at 50 yrds and some yotes ran him off he didnt know i was there, and our rifle season starts saturday which means alot more pressure in the area , the area i hunt is 320 acres of heaven with moderate pressure on 2 sides, im not sure if i should go back in after him in a day or two or wait till opening morning of rifle n hope a doe hasnt taken him to different pastures since the rut is starting to take off..!!!! Any thoughts??

hvfd21walker
11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Go hunt him when you can. If you didnt spook him you should be fine.

dying to kill
11-12-2012, 05:20 PM
i dont think theres any way he coulda knewn i was there he was strait up wind, i couldnt tell exactley what he was looking at the whole 6 months he stood still, but he was lookin at the yotes wen he walked up and wen he walked away, ya just never know with a deer of this caliber, there so hard to predict!!!

sjsmallfield
11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I have never hunted whitetails but I say get after him before he goes MIA.

Eberle
11-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I would hunt him ever chance you get, use scent cover & keep the wind in your face. If you got a good crossbow or can borrow one I would switch over to it as well. They are deadly out to 60 yards! Put a broadhead through his lungs before saturday! I've been hunting one particular buck, trying to get him as well before rifle opens. I've been taking my crossbow this week as well!4661

Fink
11-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd hunt him every chance you get.. No telling when he'll leave your woodlot for the next one over. Bucks can cover a ton of ground this time of year.

buckbull
11-13-2012, 07:21 AM
You can't kill him sitting on the couch, get out there. Spend every minute you can. Even if the buck saw or smelled you in that area thats not going to stop him from chasing a hot doe that goes thru the area.

jenbickel
11-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I would get after him! I have had deer spooked many times from coyotes and they came back out within a couple hours again.

Eberle- wow! That is quite a deer! When can I come out?! Lol :)

Eberle
11-13-2012, 08:08 AM
I would get after him! I have had deer spooked many times from coyotes and they came back out within a couple hours again.

Eberle- wow! That is quite a deer! When can I come out?! Lol :)

Jen,

You have a standing offer come on down! Bring the kids they can play with mine! Here is one that showed up this week, got several pics of him. The Full Draw Crew is on him right now. 4670

jenbickel
11-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Jen,

You have a standing offer come on down! Bring the kids they can play with mine! Here is one that showed up this week, got several pics of him. The Full Draw Crew is on him right now. 4670

Believe me, I really want to!! If I can work it in, I definitely want too! Sounds like we have kids around the same ages! :)

Fink
11-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow Eberle, you guys are hunting some monster bucks down there in Oklahoma. I thought they didn't grow that big south of Iowa :D:D

Eberle
11-13-2012, 07:28 PM
4675It is getting better for sure. My property is crossfenced & I set a side land in the fall just for deer. We plant a lot of foodplots & pour the corn to them. After deer season I turn my cattle in on the greenfields. I've got aggreements with my neighbors to not shoot any deer under 3 years old. We do let our children shoot what they want to. Here is a buck I was hunting two years ago. He went MIA, who knows what happened to him.4674

Eberle
11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Wow Eberle, you guys are hunting some monster bucks down there in Oklahoma. I thought they didn't grow that big south of Iowa :D:D

Here is some more bucks from 2011 that went MIA! I'm glad you said hunting & not killing! LOL It is a lot easier to get a pic of one alive opposed to dead.467646774678

Eberle
11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
alrighty fellas throw me some in put here, iv been chasing this 6-8 year old bruiser of a whitetail since start of bow here in ok, and only seen him 1 time (oct 1st) until this morning i had him at 50 yrds and some yotes ran him off he didnt know i was there, and our rifle season starts saturday which means alot more pressure in the area , the area i hunt is 320 acres of heaven with moderate pressure on 2 sides, im not sure if i should go back in after him in a day or two or wait till opening morning of rifle n hope a doe hasnt taken him to different pastures since the rut is starting to take off..!!!! Any thoughts??

So did you take our advice & go after him? I hope so, good luck! I've been seeing lots of does & smaller bucks.

jenbickel
11-13-2012, 09:42 PM
So did you take our advice & go after him? I hope so, good luck! I've been seeing lots of does & smaller bucks.

Yes dying to kill!! We're dying to know! Lol :)

Fink
11-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Here is some more bucks from 2011 that went MIA! I'm glad you said hunting & not killing! LOL It is a lot easier to get a pic of one alive opposed to dead.467646774678

Yeah, killing those big dudes can get difficult. It's not as easy as just 'growing' them, and then sitting in the tree waiting for them to walk by.

Drhorsepower
11-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah, killing those big dudes can get difficult. It's not as easy as just 'growing' them, and then sitting in the tree waiting for them to walk by.

WHAT??? That's what they do on tv!

dying to kill
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
sorry guys i havent been able to get on here in a while. eb- ill have to stick to my hoyt iv killed 3 deer arount 60 yards with it, he was definately in my wheel house but was facing me the whole time and when he turned i only had a split second to take the shot either way thats to far to shoot at a startled deer in my opinion, any ways due to weining calves, workin on fence and other duties i havent been able to get back to him with bow so i guess its lookin like saturday mornin will have to do, ill prob be settin in my bow stand with hoyt and remington sendero both on limb hangers im plannin on settin till atleast noon cuz the girls are smellin funny big time around here rite about now. hope i didnt miss my chance at him only time will tell. Ill keep ya posted!!

dying to kill
11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
lol does that tv crap get old or what!!!

dying to kill
11-15-2012, 06:53 PM
them some good deer eb. I swear i got them same 2 coons on one of my cameras,they must be covering some miles!!

Fink
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Sort of.. They grow them, then get in the tree, then open up the gate and ring the dinner bell. :)

Eberle
11-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Fink,

I thought they went in the pen with them? They actually open the gate & let them out! LOL

Eberle
11-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Yes dying to kill!! We're dying to know! Lol :)

Jen,

If he don't reply soon, we need to hack into his profile & rename him "Dying to Know"!

Fink
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Fink,

I thought they went in the pen with them? They actually open the gate & let them out! LOL

See, you're confusing fair chase with high fence hunting. When they go in the pen with them, thats high fence hunting. When they actually let him out of the pen, that is fair chase.

Eberle
11-16-2012, 09:37 AM
You just gave me a good laugh! "That's funny I don't care who you are"!

dying to kill
11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
lol good n!!

jenbickel
11-16-2012, 09:47 PM
See, you're confusing fair chase with high fence hunting. When they go in the pen with them, thats high fence hunting. When they actually let him out of the pen, that is fair chase.

Lmao!!! That's hilarious!!

Eberle- let's do it!! Lol!

dying to kill
11-17-2012, 06:58 PM
well guys opening day of rifle has came and gone and i did see my big deer, to bad it was in the back of my buddies truck tho lol. Oh well hes a good guy , it was jus meant to be. I did how ever see a very nice 4 year old 10 pt that has a heck of a future ahead of him if he makes it . Hope you guys are having better luck out there!!!

Eberle
11-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Jen, we got his attention.

DTK,

I had two different mature bucks chasing does today. Blew grunt tube, whistled & yelled. I could not get the to stop. To good of bucks to wound. They were about 100 yards running. The Full Draw Adventures Crew shot a nice buck on me thursday night but we never recovered it. The shot appeared to be back & angled, one lung & liver. It is a shame he was in the mid 140's. I've switched over to rifle & will be at it hard tomorrow. Saw 4 doe this evening & no bucks!

Good Luck, Bryan