PDA

View Full Version : Steiner Predator C5

Elkoholic307
03-25-2011, 08:28 AM
I am in the market for a new pair of binos and these scream, 'buy me'! Does anyone have similar thoughts or have any experience with the Steiner brand? I checked out the 10x42 Predator C5 in Cabelas for a long time and practically fell in love with them. Of course, you can't hardly tell anything just glassing in the store.. but, they fit my hands very well and the glass seemed brighter, sharper and overall more clear than the others I tried.

GrantMan
03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
I don't have the c5 model but I do have a pair of the 8x30 predator pro which has a similar lens coating that I can comment on.

Overall the image is good and game objects do stand out against a wooded or green background. The problem I have is that I mostly hunt in a dry desert environment and all the brown tan landscape wipes out this advantages of the lens coatings.

It looks like the C5 has a traditional focus wheel while the predator pro uses the autofocus. After using the autofocus some time now I am not a fan of it. It seems I am always having to mess around with it to get a sharp image. Another disadvantage I have found with the predator pro is that it does not perform well in low light such as dawn and dusk. I would venture to guess the 8x56 C5 would do much better in low light.

307Wapiti
03-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I got a screamin' deal on some 12x42 Predator C5's a couple years ago. I bought them online from Dick's and got them for under $700. For the money I think the glass is fantastic. I will be sending them back in soon however. I was trying to pull the eyecup out and pulled it off and now it doesn't work too great. There's also a crack on a piece of plastic that holds the lens covers. I'm not terribly pleased considering the money but in my opinion it's great glass for the price.

Elkoholic307
03-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Grant - I like the idea of the lens coating and am thinking it would work great for elk and black bear hunting since they are in areas with more foliage. But, like you, a lot of my time in the field is in a desert environment for deer and antelope. Do you think the coating has a negative effect for hunting dry areas or is it indifferent?

Wapiti - I'm looking at just over $600 for the 10x42... That stinks about your situation; how is Steiner warranty wise?

GrantMan
03-28-2011, 12:03 AM
No problem or negative affect other than not being able to use the coating for what it was designed for.

I also have a pair of Nikon Monarchs that I got to compare side by side in the desert and didn't really notice any short comings of the Steiner coating. I did notice with the Steiners you could see much better detail in shaded areas on a bright day which is a good advantage.

Elkoholic307
06-17-2011, 07:39 PM
What's the difference between the C5 and the Xtreme? Is the Xtreme just the 'new and improved' version?

338ultra
06-18-2011, 09:18 AM
I have a pair of the Steiner Merlins that I bought back in 2007. I think they have since been replaced, maybe by one of the models ya'll are talking about. I can tell you the Merlins for me have been great. I abuse the heck out of them and so far nothing has fallen apart. I am extremely happy with the glass as well. I was able to watch a 170" whitetail before legal shooting hours and get a good judge on him. Could count every point he had at 200 yards and was prepared to make the shot as soon as the watch on my wrist said I could shoot. I've also hunted with these binos in Idaho through some rugged terrain. I've fallen on them (about 500 times... stupid bear grass and snow) and banged them off of rocks and trees. No scratches on the lens and nothing broke on the outside, yet.