PDA

View Full Version : High Cost Licenses or High Availability Licenses?

Edelweiss
11-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Since license prices and availability don't often go hand in hand what would you rather have?

A 1 in 3000 shot of drawing a tag for $20 ( with no refund given if not drawn)

Or a 1 in 3 chance of drawing a tag for $2000 (with a refund of 98% if not drawn).

Let's say your in an area with 20 tags.

Fink
11-23-2012, 07:10 AM
I'll take the 1/3 odds all day.

HuskyMusky
11-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I'd like to keep hunting a non-rich requirement in order to hunt.

But when residents can buy a sheep tag/once in a lifetime tag for $50 when a non-res has to front $2500 in order to apply, 1 hunter has to front alot of cash, whereas another, anyone in the world can afford.

certain tags, especially once ina lifetime tags should be the same price or at least way more than they currently charge most residents, the same as a non-res price makes sense to me.

if you're a res and can't afford a $300 once in a lifetime sheep tag, then you shouldn't be applying to hunt sheep in the first place.
I'm not talking about making your annual deer tag $300 btw, just once in a lifetime type tags.

Accept Credit Cards
Charge the full tag fee up front, refundable.
Small application/tag fee per tag $5-20, non-refundable.
Refunds within 1 month of application deadline.

Edelweiss
11-23-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't agree if you want to get treated like a resident, live in sheep country.

Old Hunter
11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Exactly...

Muleys 24/7
11-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Are we talking about Co.

Umpqua Hunter
11-23-2012, 10:05 PM
The problem is for sheep you would probably have to get tag prices up over $10,000 before you'd start to see good draw odds. New Mexico already charges $3000 for sheep tags and they have no lack of interest.

If you are talking deer of elk, if the tag prices got up near $2000, I'd probably just buy a landowner tag.

trkytrack2
11-23-2012, 11:00 PM
X2.........That's a common bitch from NR and I say suck it up and move there if you don't like to pay the price.

Musket Man
11-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I dont like either choice lol

Old Hunter
11-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I dont like either choice lol

I didn't either. My choice was always 100% chance for $49. Hunting was always better than losing the draw, or taking one of those blasted OTC tags.

brooks
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I think if your wanting to hunt federal land the price should be the same ! We are supposed to all own it and I have 2 sons that spent a total of almost 7 years when you add it all up on combat deployments and 1 of them earned the purple heart fighting for that land.

Old Hunter
11-26-2012, 12:51 PM
A NR isn't paying to hunt on the land in Colorado. You're paying to hunt our animals which are maintained by the state.

Colorado Cowboy
11-26-2012, 02:28 PM
You're paying to hunt our animals which are maintained by the state. ...and paid for with license money. Our G & F dept is an "enterprise" here in Colorado. This means it is a business and as such gets no general fund money....it's on it's own as far as $$$$ goes.

brooks
11-26-2012, 03:48 PM
LOL old hunter... they can spin it any way they want to.

HuskyMusky
11-26-2012, 04:00 PM
If residents had to pay $1,000 instead of $75 or whatever they charge, you'd see a dropoff!

The problem is for sheep you would probably have to get tag prices up over $10,000 before you'd start to see good draw odds. New Mexico already charges $3000 for sheep tags and they have no lack of interest.

If you are talking deer of elk, if the tag prices got up near $2000, I'd probably just buy a landowner tag.

HuskyMusky
11-26-2012, 04:01 PM
btw how does a NR move to 10 states? haha.

HuskyMusky
11-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Honestly if we don't start seeing fairer prices in hunting, NR's will just start buying landowner tags, or not traveling out of state, or choosing other states.

like WY wants to charge NR $7500 for a grizzly tag?? that's for a tag, no guide, no outfitter, I can almost pay that for a fully guided/outiftted grizzly hunt in AK! so what will NR's choose? a tag in WY for grizzly for 7500? or a fully outfitted hunt in AK for that same price?

states can't just keep expecting NR's to flip the bill when residents pay less than 1/10th for the same tag.

although WY seems to be moving towards a 1:10 ratio which at least makes residents pay a fair price to hunt local game vs. giving residents a discount and having NR"s make up the difference.

on top of that, bad odds, poor trophy quality, tons of tags, most of which are for residents, NR's will start hunting less and doing it on private land/outfitted if these trends continue if you ask me.

btw 1:5 tag fee ratio would be very fair, 1:10 is the max ratio IMO that isn't really fair but isn't outrageous, 1:10 is still better than 1:43 is essentially what I'm saying.

Old Hunter
11-26-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm so glad I retired from hunting. It's getting ridiculous. Give me back the old days.

Then again. I pay $1.00 for a fishing license, and can fish the whole state 365 days a year. Life is good again.

BKC
11-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Honestly if we don't start seeing fairer prices in hunting, NR's will just start buying landowner tags, or not traveling out of state, or choosing other states.

on top of that, bad odds, poor trophy quality, tons of tags, most of which are for residents, NR's will start hunting less and doing it on private land/outfitted if these trends continue if you ask me.

It is all based upon supply and demand. If nr quit coming then prices will come down a little on the nr tag and up a little on the instate tag. If everyone starts going with private land/ outfitted hunts then the cost of that will go up a little. Your going to have to figure out if you want to pay now or pay later. Either way you are going to have to pay!

I've got an idea. Why don't all non residents boycott Colorado, or Wyo, or Montana, or..... for the next 3 years and see where that gets you.

Colorado Cowboy
11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I've got an idea. Why don't all non residents boycott Colorado, or Wyo, or Montana, or..... for the next 3 years and see where that gets you.

If that happens, there will be less than 1/2 as many hunters in my area of Colorado.!!! Lots more secluded, uncrowded places to camp and hunt. Bet that NEVER happens.

sheephunter
11-26-2012, 06:47 PM
I see the same argument every year on multple forums, and the argument will never end; everybody is a nonresident in 49 states.