PDA

View Full Version : Olympia, Washington your thoughts.

Edelweiss
11-24-2012, 05:12 PM
I got offered a job in Olympia, Washington, pays well, found some 40-80 acre 3 and 4 bedroom 2 bath houses for under $500,000 within 30 miles.

Since this is going to be a federal job and I can transfer later, I am thinking about taking it to get my foot in the door.

10 years ago I was stationed for 7 years in Whidbey Island, Washington which was a beautiful place. Olympia appears to have similar vegetation, but isn't on the water.

I am guessing shooting a blacktail buck every year on your back 40 wouldn't be a problem, and I know Washington has more than their share of blackbears, plus your 3 hours from the Canadian border and can hunt BC as much as you can afford.

Anyone live up that way?

BKC
11-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Most of that area is a beautiful part of the country and it seems that most of the liberals in the state live there. Good luck!

Edelweiss
11-25-2012, 01:44 PM
If we do it, it's just a foot in the door.

Trying to finish my wildlife management degree, need something to pay the bills until I am done.

buckbull
11-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Just having the opportunity to eat at the diamond knot restaurant by the Whidbey Island ferry would be enough reason for me. Traffic is horrendous around the Seattle area; I'd never live there. I have never been south of Sea-Tac airport but I'd think Olympia would be further enough south to get away from all the hub bub.

Edelweiss
11-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Olympia is a fair poke to Whidbey Island.

Lots of nice farms within 30 miles of town.

Jon Boy
12-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Check out yelm. Not a bad drive to olympia. Grew up there, nice place.

Edelweiss
12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks,

Kind of a wierd deal to be moving from Australia back to the United States, and unless I can end up in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho or Alaska I am going to have to a job to get my foot in the door someplace else in the West.

Need to look at more options.

Within 5 years we will be where we want, but I think I would be selling my family short if I said we are only moving to Thermpolis, Wyoming or bust.

Shooter
12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I live in western washington. If you are very liberal you will love it. You can smoke pot and marry your buddy here.......it's great. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish that I lived somewhere else.

Fink
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I live in western washington. If you are very liberal you will love it. You can smoke pot and marry your buddy here.......it's great. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish that I lived somewhere else.

Bahahahaha. I heard all the dreary weather is what made everyone all depressed, I guess it's the liberalism instead?

6mm Remington
12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a couple friends who live in the Olympia area and really like it. The do get lots of rain, but when it was 20 degrees below zero in February a few years ago and my buddy was mowing his lawn once a month, I'm just saying.......... Sometimes that would be nice. Too many people for my liking though.

Edelweiss
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Weather and scenery wise Pugent sound is hard to beat. But far from ideal as far as hunting and population densities of people go. Especially those that can get married to their buddy.

Shooter
12-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Personally I like the rain. If it goes a couple weeks without raining it drives me crazy.

Jon Boy
12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Weather and scenery wise Pugent sound is hard to beat. But far from ideal as far as hunting and population densities of people go. Especially those that can get married to their buddy.

You nailed it on the head. Ive been to a lot of places and Ive found it hard to find a place as awesome as puget sound in the summer. Perfect temp, perfect humidity, everythings green, cascades to your east and the olympics to your west. I love it. Just too many dam people and not the greatest hunting. Not bad if you know what your doing but its no montana thats for sure.