PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Colorado Muley Hunt

gradycoshooter
11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
A friend and I are trying to start planning an archery muley hunt for 2013! I have tried to do some research on areas that we stand a good chance of drawing a tag! We have no pp's so I know most areas will not happen! Also, I was wondering if we should just apply for a pp as our first choice and then put in for our hunt choices? Just looking for some insight! thanks in advance!!!

BKC
11-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Apply for and get a preference point and hunt OTC archery. Maybe come out a few days early and check out some areas for future hunts. Don't get to worked up about drawing a tag, if you can draw an area with no pref. points then that ought to tell you something right there.

dito
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
A friend and I are trying to start planning an archery muley hunt for 2013! I have tried to do some research on areas that we stand a good chance of drawing a tag! We have no pp's so I know most areas will not happen! Also, I was wondering if we should just apply for a pp as our first choice and then put in for our hunt choices? Just looking for some insight! thanks in advance!!!

I tried that this year with no luck. But got a point!

CrimsonArrow
11-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Go on the Colorado G&F website, and look up draw stats. Make a list of units with 1 or 0 points, and research those. You might be surprised by the number of quality deer units that are easy to draw archery tags in. I got my 168" with no points, and in an area traditionally known to have good bucks.

elks
12-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Apply for and get a preference point and hunt OTC archery. Maybe come out a few days early and check out some areas for future hunts. Don't get to worked up about drawing a tag, if you can draw an area with no pref. points then that ought to tell you something right there.

There are no over the counter deer tags. They are all limited quota. There are some that are leftovers, but they are getting fewer and fewer leftovers each year. As far as unit go, about any unit will have deer, the higher country is definitely better. But hell CO is a huge state and depending on where you are heading out from and what you expectations are will determine where you should go. North/South/East mountains, Western Slope, High country/Desert and sage? Etc. Ultimately I would start by determining what you want... Wilderness/Treeline, quick day hikes from truck, base camp with a spike camp etc.

Luckily other than the quality units most deer tags are easy to draw as a 1st choice.

BKC
12-02-2012, 10:03 AM
There are no over the counter deer tags. They are all limited quota. There are some that are leftovers, but they are getting fewer and fewer leftovers each year. As far as unit go, about any unit will have deer, the higher country is definitely better. But hell CO is a huge state and depending on where you are heading out from and what you expectations are will determine where you should go. North/South/East mountains, Western Slope, High country/Desert and sage? Etc. Ultimately I would start by determining what you want... Wilderness/Treeline, quick day hikes from truck, base camp with a spike camp etc.

Luckily other than the quality units most deer tags are easy to draw as a 1st choice. Your right, my bad. I get elk, deer, antelope, etc.. all mixed up.

Colorado Cowboy
12-02-2012, 10:32 AM
The bad thing about leftovers in deer is that they are usually in areas that have the most private land or are private land tags exclusively. You have to be pretty careful and do a little research.

elks
12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
The bad thing about leftovers in deer is that they are usually in areas that have the most private land or are private land tags exclusively. You have to be pretty careful and do a little research.

Yes but in archery season it is not nearly as bad as during the rifle seasons. There are usually some pretty decent archery tags left after the draw, but it is always better to get one as a second choice then a left over