PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a 2015 African safari

Edelweiss
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I went in 2005, and lets just say I wouldn't use the same outfitter again.

Anyone been lately and had a good experience.

I shot some nice animals, but the PH and I almost came to blows several times. He just wanted to get drunk and not guide me.

Edelweiss
12-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Seriously, no one has been to Africa in the past 2 or 3 years?

Thinking another Namibia trip, but I am also interested in the Karoo of South Africa.

I want to go to Tanzania but I can't afford $100,000 for a month.

My goal is to bring our whole extended family for 10 days hunting and 4 or 5 days in the game parks.

BKC
12-05-2012, 08:35 PM
There are a ton of animals to hunt here in good ole north america. I have never seen the draw in Africa. I don't like blinds and I don't like road hunting. If I'm going to fly across the ocean to hunt it will be for a bear in Russia.

Fink
12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
If I'm going to fly across the ocean to hunt it will be for a bear in Russia.

Or sheep in Asia, and stags in New Zealand.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Edleweiss,

I have great news! I just found out we are extended family!

I will start packing.

Kevin Root
12-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Edelweiss, does being part of the Eastman forum family count as extended family? If perhaps I may count for some extended family too. :)

The closest I'll be to African animals this month is in Santa Rosa here in CA at one of the Safari West cabins overnight and them out on one of their trucks on the preserve. My wife has us reserved later this month for a photo only Safari. http://www.safariwest.com/wineosandrhinos/

I've never been to Africa to hunt, but it sounds like a hoot.

Edelweiss
12-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I think if you go to my "page" you can look at my photo albums.

Remember, I am an enlisted man. Dumb luck has put me in a lot of places to hunt with the military. And I used my re-enlistement bonus in 2005 to go to Africa.

If you need any help on Africa let me know, but I am trying to figure out 2015 safari myself so I am probably not the best one to Ask.

Edelweiss
12-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Edelweiss
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM

I shot a total of 28 animals, 14 big game animals and 14 small game animals.

3 Gemsbok, 2 Red Hartbeest, 3 Springbok, 1 Kudu, 1 baboon, 1 blesbok, 1 mountain zebra, 5 rock hyrax, 1 skunk, 2 steenbok, 1 african wildcats and 7 springhares.

Hunt started in the Khomas Mountains north of Windhoek and ended in the Kalahari desert near Aroab. Saw a good splash of Namibia, shot a ton of stuff, got in daily yelling matches with the PH, worst and best hunt of my life.

Edelweiss
12-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Or sheep in Asia, and stags in New Zealand.

You mean stags behind a fence in New Zealand, unless you want a 3 pointer it's going to be behind fence.

I have some friends from here in Australia that just got back, they had a miserable time. Place is shot up something fierce.

Edelweiss
12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
There are a ton of animals to hunt here in good ole north america. I have never seen the draw in Africa. I don't like blinds and I don't like road hunting. If I'm going to fly across the ocean to hunt it will be for a bear in Russia.

You are mistaken, I experienced about every method in those 10 days that we employ in the west excepting horseback.

Africa is truly wonderful, the problem with it is you will go back. It's not a one and done kind of a situation. I don't know anyone that has been just once, barring lifes circumstances.

I used to live in Djibouti, and even that crap-hole is a wonderful safari destination out toward the Ethiopian danakil desert.

Fink
12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
You mean stags behind a fence in New Zealand, unless you want a 3 pointer it's going to be behind fence.

I have some friends from here in Australia that just got back, they had a miserable time. Place is shot up something fierce.

Hmm, cross that off the list then. The only fence ill hunt behind is a 5 strand.

Edelweiss
12-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Free ranging red stags in any quantity and quality get slaughtered as quickly as they can be in New Zealand. The case of New Zealand not having tons of local hunters is long sense past.

That and job market in New Zealand isn't so great, so anyone who can make money guiding dudes has them gunned back pretty hard.

Free-Range public land hunting in New Zealand is tough.

Private land and especially high fence areas have tons of wildlife, and a high price tag.

ivorytip
12-09-2012, 05:40 PM
nice pics! i didnt think tanzania would be all that much to hunt??? i thought only south africa was governed. am i wrong? i work with a guy from tanzania, he may not know what he is talking about but he said as long as im with him i wouldnt have to pay for anything as far as hunting goes. ive been thinking about doing it but havent done the research yet. id love to go there with a bow, but im a little tight with my mula. airfare there isnt that much, looks like 1500 will get me there round trip. that with a guy that knows the area sounds like a pass i cant pass.

wapiti66
12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Africa is high on my list next to Alaska, but I don't know which is highest. The thought of all of those animals in one place is enough to make me want to go. And kudu would be my first choice. I have talked to many outfitters for African hunts at the sportsmans expo in denver and an SCI convention in las vegas but it's all just a dream for now. Edelweiss, did you ship back the animals you took in Africa? Curious how much I have to save to allow for that cost also. I plan to go there within 10 years.

Montana
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Unless you book with the right guy :)

Edelweiss
12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Unless you book with the right guy :)

My aussie friends that went hunted public land, and the place was shot up fierce, they saw 1 red stag with 4 points per side. That's public land in New Zealand as there is no game laws.

Private land or high fence is going to be different. They tell me that most of the private land areas get poached pretty hard, so the only way to ensure a big stag is high fence.

Edelweiss
12-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Free ranging red stags in any quantity and quality get slaughtered as quickly as they can be in New Zealand. The case of New Zealand not having tons of local hunters is long sense past.

That and job market in New Zealand isn't so great, so anyone who can make money guiding dudes has them gunned back pretty hard.

Free-Range public land hunting in New Zealand is tough.

Private land and especially high fence areas have tons of wildlife, and a high price tag.

Hopefully that works out for you :confused:

Bitterroot Bulls
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
nice pics! i didnt think tanzania would be all that much to hunt??? i thought only south africa was governed. am i wrong? i work with a guy from tanzania, he may not know what he is talking about but he said as long as im with him i wouldnt have to pay for anything as far as hunting goes. ive been thinking about doing it but havent done the research yet. id love to go there with a bow, but im a little tight with my mula. airfare there isnt that much, looks like 1500 will get me there round trip. that with a guy that knows the area sounds like a pass i cant pass.

This sounds like a bad idea. I actually heard about a guy that hunted with some Europeans that said the same thing. After he shot the animal, they started talking about avoiding authorities. There is no free lunch.

Edelweiss
12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
This sounds like a bad idea. I actually heard about a guy that hunted with some Europeans that said the same thing. After he shot the animal, they started talking about avoiding authorities. There is no free lunch.

Yep, you beat me to the punch.

Guiding clients or friends requires a PH permit that is $50,000 per year in Tanzania.

A resdient hunting license can be had cheaply, and you can take a wide variety of wildlife on that license. But you have to be a tax paying Tanzanian, Ugandan, Zambian, Botswanan and so on, hunting in that respective country.

Namibia and South Africa all hunting is based on game ranches, which are either fenced or not. Most in Namibia are not, most in South Africa are.

Edelweiss
12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I hunted in Europe and was properly licensed, without that license the US Fish and Wildlife will not give you an import permit, and if you try and bring something in without it you get to go to gay-love (albeit against your will) federal prison.

One of the guys I work with has a cheetah skin from one he shot in Namibia in 2000. He has been working overseas all over the world and so far has not entered the United States with it. I keep telling him it is a bad idea to try and bring it back when he retires, but so far he's still overseas and doesn't have to worry about it.

Really BS what the USFWS can get away with in prosecuting you. If you get a speeding ticket in Namiba while you are there no problem, but if you break a wildlife law you can be tried in the United States.

ivorytip
12-15-2012, 07:26 AM
oh geez. yeah i think things are just saffer staying right here in the good ole USA

Edelweiss
12-15-2012, 03:52 PM
No, you have to explore the world, what is the point of living on this planet if you aren't going to check it out.

shumba
05-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Hi Edelweiss
What animals are you looking to hunt as this is important in selecting an area as certain species occur only in certain areas as you get the plains animals eg springbuck , blesbuck etc and the bush veld ones eg kudu nyala eland and buffalo etc .