PDA

View Full Version : How many of you guys archery hunt the X-zones?

Never in Doubt
12-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Let's get this California section going!

I know the success rate for archery hunting is much lower than general season, but in the premium X-zones, a person could hunt there more often... I have 1 point and instead of waiting to draw a rifle tag, I'm thinking about just applying for an archery tag next year. So I've got this huge battle in my mind. Hunt the X-zones more often, or less often with a better chance of shooting a nice buck?

What has been your experiences in the X-zones? What are your opinions?

elkgrunt
12-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I have hunted all of the X zones (archery). The X zones are great to hunt with a bow, but its getting hard to get a tag. You do have better chances at getting a tag, but still hard.

packer58
12-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Here's what you need to do............hang on to your rifle and sell your bow, everybody knows you can't kill a buck in the X zones with a bow. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, your draw odds dramaticly increase when applying for the archery tags. Just keep in mind that the sucsess rates are very low.

cali_hornhunter
12-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Is there a particular x-zone or any of them

bigshot
12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Let's get this California section going!

I know the success rate for archery hunting is much lower than general season, but in the premium X-zones, a person could hunt there more often... I have 1 point and instead of waiting to draw a rifle tag, I'm thinking about just applying for an archery tag next year. So I've got this huge battle in my mind. Hunt the X-zones more often, or less often with a better chance of shooting a nice buck?

What has been your experiences in the X-zones? What are your opinions?

Don't know what part of the state you live in, but A31 is a great zone to hunt with a bow and you can shoot either sex. You dont have to spend all your points to get a tag. The season runs from middle of September to end of December. There are lots of deer in the unit.

Kevin Root
12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
As others have noted, the X zones are harder to pull these days, even with the bit better odds of archery pulling the tag. If you are wanting to hunt a X zone year after year you would be hunting it some years and hunting other animals without a deer tag unless you are very, very lucky. There's nothing wrong with hunting non deer or scouting every year though.

I think the years are gone where one could pull a X zone tag every year. I do remember back in the day before the preference point system when it was possible and I was able to though.

Shaun
12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
I think the years are gone where one could pull a X zone tag every year. I do remember back in the day before the preference point system when it was possible and I was able to though.

For the most part they are I used to get A16 every year until about 5 yeasr ago now you have to have points. I know X9B/A17 you can buy over the counter after the draw it is steep rugged terrain you can't access with a vehicle for the most part so most guys dont hunt it. I am about 90% success rate personally in X zones with a bow. nothing smaller than a 3x3 but no monsters either

Kevin Root
12-06-2012, 09:18 AM
For the most part they are I used to get A16 every year until about 5 yeasr ago now you have to have points. I know X9B/A17 you can buy over the counter after the draw it is steep rugged terrain you can't access with a vehicle for the most part so most guys dont hunt it. I am about 90% success rate personally in X zones with a bow. nothing smaller than a 3x3 but no monsters either

I've been thinking more and more about taking up bow hunting again for that reason. The tags seem like it's getting harder to pull these days for rifle. One has to get closer with a bow but it would surely bring up the odds a bit more in getting tags for being able to hunt some of the premium zones more often.

elkgrunt
12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Is there a particular x-zone or any of them

There are some better than others, but any of them should be good.

cali_hornhunter
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
There are some better than others, but any of them should be good.

Thats true one of the better ones is your neck of the woods

elkgrunt
12-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Thats true one of the better ones is your neck of the woods

Yes it is, I just finished a late season hunt and did well.If you PM me your E-mail I will send you some pics.

Shaun
12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I've been thinking more and more about taking up bow hunting again for that reason. The tags seem like it's getting harder to pull these days for rifle. One has to get closer with a bow but it would surely bring up the odds a bit more in getting tags for being able to hunt some of the premium zones more often.

Yes rifle is hard to draw I know X9A takes 3 points for rifle and 1 point for archery

cali_hornhunter
12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Elkgrunt what late season did you have?

Never in Doubt
12-07-2012, 09:06 AM
I went bowhunting twice this year in a Dzone, and came across 8 small bucks that I could have easily shot with a rifle. One I accidently bumped out of a patch of gnarly pine bushes on top of a ridge at 10,000 feet. He stopped and looked back at 100 yards before running to the next county, lol. That's when I realized just how different bowhunting is. Out of range has a whole different meaning.

So I'm no Robin Hood with the bow, but it's really tempting to put in for an X-zone that I think I can get this year. I'm going to have to put in some time improving my technique. Especially my stalking. I've been reading the book by Dwight Shugh(?) and the one thing I've really been impressed by is how patient I need to be.(really good book by the way)

So the question is do I really want to use my points on a bowhunt, or is my bow something I have to pass the time while waiting for rifle season? I'm going to have to decide that for myself.

Never in Doubt
12-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I did realize for the 1st time in D6 how few hunters there are during bow season. I had a huge area to myself both times I had my bow, that was swarming with rifle hunters on opening day of general season.

Never in Doubt
12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Yes rifle is hard to draw I know X9A takes 3 points for rifle and 1 point for archery

Exactly! That's why it's SO tempting! Last year, 0.6 points for X12, and 0 points for X8(archery).

I hunted X12 rifle 1 year ago and I don't want to wait 2 more years before I go back.

elkgrunt
12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Elkgrunt what late season did you have?

A26 basshill hunt, I have drawn it three times.Last time I drew it-it was eight years ago. Very tough to draw.

skookum
01-30-2013, 11:48 PM
I drew A5 (X3A Archery in 2011) and then again last year in A6 (X3B Archery). My odds of getting drawn in the random drawing were about 1 in 30 but still, never would've happened for a rifle tag. I'm sold on Archery in the X zones. Pressure is relatively non-existent and the deer are less spooky, more apt to be seen in the open during the day. In 11' I scored on a nice, tall forky and then last year I got a wall-hanger (for my standards): a 5x4 who scored around 168 before deductions. Couldn't have been happier.

cali_hornhunter
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
I drew A5 (X3A Archery in 2011) and then again last year in A6 (X3B Archery). My odds of getting drawn in the random drawing were about 1 in 30 but still, never would've happened for a rifle tag. I'm sold on Archery in the X zones. Pressure is relatively non-existent and the deer are less spooky, more apt to be seen in the open during the day. In 11' I scored on a nice, tall forky and then last year I got a wall-hanger (for my standards): a 5x4 who scored around 168 before deductions. Couldn't have been happier.
Lets see a pic!!!!

Caseyu
01-31-2013, 10:33 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/01/ypase8a2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/01/8amesu6a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/01/ada3e3e2.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/01/zynuhuzu.jpg
All ca archery

Never in Doubt
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Those are some nice bucks dude! Is that last one in the A-zone?

Never in Doubt
01-31-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm sold on Archery in the X zones. Pressure is relatively non-existent and the deer are less spooky, more apt to be seen in the open during the day..

That's what I'm starting to think too. Here in California it's so nice to avoid the crowds that general season brings. Nice to hear you're getting it done with a bow!

Caseyu
01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
No the last buck is from one of the prime x zones ;) i can't give all my secrets up

Never in Doubt
01-31-2013, 12:58 PM
No the last buck is from one of the prime x zones ;) i can't give all my secrets up

haha I got ya, no problemo. I'm working on my own little hunting plan, and I won't be telling the internet about it either.