PDA

View Full Version : How young is too young?

jenbickel
12-06-2012, 07:32 AM
So I posted a picture of my son and his birthday present which was a little bow and a 3D deer target on Facebook. Like two days later I woke up and got on Facebook and my sons picture was everywhere except the photo had been altered a little ( they added the words ) and now it has gone absolutely viral. I'm finding it everywhere and there are lots of people of course bashing the picture saying my son is too young and I'm teaching him to be a killer.. So how young do you all think is too young to start them? He had been hunting with me since I was pregnant with him. I took my largest antelope to date with him in my tummy! He picked up his sister's 15lb bow and was able to draw it back so I figured it was time to teach him. I think it's never too young to start teaching them the basics of hunting and of course, SAFETY! 48314832

The one without the words is obviously the one I posted and the other one is the one all over Internet now..

buckbull
12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Well Jen, I think its disgusting that someone would take a picture of any child and do that. For goodness sakes, its a toy bow and deer. No different than nerf guns, or the cap guns I grew up with. Nothing wrong at all teaching the basics and focusing on safety. I bought both of my kids mathew's genesis bows last Christmas; were 8 and 7 at the time. I teach them bow basics and safety and we turn our shooting sessions into quality family time. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the taking of an animals life, I believe the child needs to have the mental capacity to be able to handle that exposure. Taking an animals life is serious business and something I don't believe an 8 year old can fully appreciate. I personally will evaluate my children and determine the "right time" for them to take their first animal. If I had to put an age limit, I'd say no earlier than 12. I know its every sportsmen dream to be able to hunt with and teach their children the magnificent world of hunting but I also believe the child needs to be mentally capable of processing that taking a life is serious business. Its not a video game.

hvfd21walker
12-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Theres never an age limit to start your kids in the right direction. Your kids maturity level will dictate at what age and how far you can take them.

Grizz
12-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Jen,
I would not let the haters get to you! I think that it is great that you are instilling the love of the hunt in your son. I agree with you that if he can draw the bow then teach him how to use it so he can learn to both use it correctly and with respect for the weapon and the game he will be pursuing. Haters gonna hate. Good for you!

jenbickel
12-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks Grizz :) I have received my fair share of "fan" mail from haters before and it's never really bothered me.. But seeing it under the picture of my kid, struck me on a different level! I don't let my kids shoot each other with nerf guns or play laser tag type stuff just because I don't like the whole idea of shooting each other. So it hurt to see people saying I'm a horrible parent and calling my kid names.

Fink
12-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Haters gonna hate.

Jen, I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of regarding the second picture. They are clearly complementing you on getting your child started on the right path, and I would have to agree with them, you're doin it right!

I say keep up the good work!

Kevin Root
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
It's just my opinion but I think there is a big movement targeting women who hunt by the anti hunting groups. I beleive that they see women hunters to be more of a threat to their movement.

There is a big difference between hunting animals and someone hunting people. In terms of human history going back thousands of years, not hunting animals or not teaching children to be hunters is a new concept.

+1 for me in supporting you jenbickel. :) You are teaching your children to respect human life and be safe and safe ethical hunters.

Colorado Cowboy
12-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I know this is a bow hunting article, but I just HAVE to give you some support. When my son was 7 I bought him his first gun, a 20ga single shot shotgun. My Dad was a Hunter Safety Instructor, so my son took the class from his Grandpa. My Dad had a policy that as long as the child understood the concepts & questions, (he would even read the final exam to them) they passed. My son got his cert and we bought his license and he hunted doves with me.

Its NEVER too young to get them started!!! Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

One more thing, this is exactly why I don't do social media:(

Drhorsepower
12-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Hey I saw that photo! I think I shared it too... Your doing a good job Jen, don't let anybody tell you different

hardstalk
12-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Jen, are you sure this isnt being taken in the wrong context? Typically even with sarcasm you can tell when someone makes a demotivational poster. It is obvious that there hating. But with that poster that was edited with the wording I dont assume it as sarcastic. I see the poster as a thumbs up. People who are viewing the pic dont know you. How do they know you hunt/trap/fish. If you view the pic from a different angle and not from a personal standpoint. Its a kid with some toys learning an american heritage. I go to archery shoots all the time where there is little 2-3-4 year olds with their toy bows out there shooting the targets. The whole shoot will be put on hold for the kids to try a couple times before we continue. There is no such thing as too young. When he is older and decides he loves it or hates it. That is his decision. But for now your giving him a hobby and a passion outside of nintendo that keeps him active and learning. Thats just great parenting regardless how its chopped up!

jjenness
12-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Jen, are you sure this isnt being taken in the wrong context? Typically even with sarcasm you can tell when someone makes a demotivational poster. It is obvious that there hating. But with that poster that was edited with the wording I dont assume it as sarcastic. I see the poster as a thumbs up. People who are viewing the pic dont know you. How do they know you hunt/trap/fish. If you view the pic from a different angle and not from a personal standpoint. Its a kid with some toys learning an american heritage. I go to archery shoots all the time where there is little 2-3-4 year olds with their toy bows out there shooting the targets. The whole shoot will be put on hold for the kids to try a couple times before we continue. There is no such thing as too young. When he is older and decides he loves it or hates it. That is his decision. But for now your giving him a hobby and a passion outside of nintendo that keeps him active and learning. Thats just great parenting regardless how its chopped up!

Hardstalk, I was thinking the same thing. I thought the second pic had something written on it due to great parenting. But, Jen you know best on where the second picture started popping up, and if it was be translated as a bad thing then I can completely see where you are coming from. Since this is the first time I have seen the pic, and it is on this forum, I take the words as a compliment to your parenting.

hardstalk
12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Im sure if you google search. "Parenting your doin it wrong" you will see the diff in context. Majority of the time its a kid with a ar barrel in his mouth or a parent holding a kid naked over a fire. Just dumb stuff.

hardstalk
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
When I hear "parenting your doing it wrong" I assume this. 4833

Big difference in what the context exploits in jens pic :)

packer58
12-06-2012, 10:21 AM
My hat's off to you Jen for exposing your children to "OUR" lifestyle at a young age. I didn't spin the edited pic as a bad thing. As Colorado Cowboy mentioned, social media is a double edged sword and once it's out there for the world to see you can't get it back. Unfortunatly the individuals that would spend the time to degrade you as a parent for instilling your lifestyle and values to your children are probably sitting in the same room with "THERE CHILDREN" glued to some video game stealing cars, shooting cops and who nows what else.

tdub24
12-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Haters gonna hate.

Jen, I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of regarding the second picture. They are clearly complementing you on getting your child started on the right path, and I would have to agree with them, you're doin it right!

I say keep up the good work!

My first thoughts were exactly like Fink's and I couldn't have said it any better. I commend you on teaching your child the art, regardless of his/her age.

jenbickel
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I took the words in the second picture as a compliment. It was other people that commented on the picture that started spreading some hate on it. I had actually emailed the person that added the words to the picture because I was curious as to where it came from and she said she found it on tumblr and then added the words and posted it to her Facebook and then that's where it started spreading. She commended me on doing a good job so that did make me feel better. It was just when I was on my "news feed" and I kept seeing it pop up and there was negative comments on it, that's when I got upset :) although when I saw it I knew there would be people that said something. Even though most the groups it was spreading on were hunting related groups. :) thanks again everyone!
And DRhorsepower- that's funny! :) I'm glad you shared it ;)

Eberle
12-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Jen,

Don't ever let anything like that get under your skin again! You are a good Mom! Those people making negative comments, more than likely voted for Obama! Just remember you have the support of all of us here on the forum! As for my little bow-hunter tell him to keep practicing! See ya..............

Shane13
12-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I saw that pic today myself. Good job, Dad!

N.Y.ArcheryMadMan
12-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Your Never to Young. I was out in the Woods with My Father as a Baby.... I was the First Child and my Parents where young and just starting out in life... My Father LOVES the Outdoors and when it was his turn to Baby Sit. I was Either Fishing with Him Or being carried out into the Woods Hunting..... Teach Him Right From Wrong and let him Fling a Few Arrows...... And Enjoy the Outdoors......

6mm Remington
12-06-2012, 06:29 PM
You are a great mom for getting them started on the right track and showing them where food actually comes from that shows up on the dinner table. Every farm kid grew up knowing what it meant to have a garden and what it produced, same with the cattle and the sheep that they had. You are teaching him how important animals are and how much you respect them, not just that it is a wonderful experience and blessing to be able to hunt one, but what it also means when you harvest an animal. Good for you.

HuntinFool
12-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I saw that on MM and thought that it was way cool. Good on you for teaching them right.

dhershberger
12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
It's never to early to start the passion for hunting. Haters will hate, don't worry about it.

ChadH
12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
You are doing a great job Jen. To some it wouldn't matter what age you started him out, that you hunt is the problem. Keep doing what you know is right and forget the rest.

Shaun
12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Never too young. My son will be here tomorrow (they are inducing labor) and I already bought him a gun... Atleast I get to use it till he is old enough haha

Ikeepitcold
12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
I saw the pic on Facebook and the first thing that popped into my head was now that is going to be a die hard hunter! People can have their own opinions and there will always be negative opinions about hunting. Would the same people have something negative to say if he was dressed up as a cowboy for Halloween sporting a couple cap gun pistols pointing them and a Indian? I doubt it. I think it is never to early to teach our kids ethics, safety, and respect! The earlier the better.

hvfd21walker
12-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Jenbickel, my wife actually shared your pic yesterday on facebook with nothing but good comments. Way to go.

Joe Hulburt
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Facebook just seems really stupid to me. Senseless drama!

But to answer the question. Never too young! Your child will become a successful person if he learns to hunt and respects the animals he hunts the way you do! That is one thing I have seen repeated over and over in my life.

jenbickel
12-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone! It makes me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one with the thought that its never to early to start teaching them! Apparently my thinking isn't too left field! :)

slim jim
12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Jen, way to go! Pissing people off. Haha jk. I take my 5 and 7 year old boys shooting bows at least once a week. As long as there is safety engrained in them. Much better than being at one of their friends home one day and their parents have a weapon laying around and they do something stupid with it. Here is a photo of my boys from quail hunting last week
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o661/slimjim70/0EAF49BC-74F7-4921-B567-74A6BA16EDEB-670-0000004C7113939E_zps1c7d8e51.jpg

jenbickel
12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Lmao! That made me laugh so hard! Good job on taking your boys out! They sure are cute!!!

Bow newbie
12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
I saw this and thought it was the best thing ever. :D Kids are much smarter then we give them credit for and can be taught the responsibilities of a bow early.

Maineboy
12-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Jen, my kid just turned three in october and has been shooting a bow with nerf darts since last Christmas and talks about hunting all the time. He may even have his animal identification down better than most adults.He also now that we eat what we shoot/hunt. I'm am proud that I can start him so young.
I don't let people that disapprove bother me or even give them the chance to do so.
kudos to you hunting and shooting in a safe way will instill many things that will stay with one for life. Good luck to you and your family's adventures.

Montana
12-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Well here is pretty much how I feel about it... I would only be preaching to the choir if I went into what the outdoors teaches your children. Especially with the most recent horrific event last week, people have to see that as long as parents spend time with their children, they are ahead of the game...
Any excuse to posts some pics of the kiddos I'll take :) These are special special times that I dearly cherish.
My daughter from 1 to 6 and now her little brother joining in.

jenbickel
12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Oh my goodness Montana!! Your pictures are so cute!!! I love the look on your daughters face in the turkey picture! Cracked me up!! :)

Thanks again everyone for making me feel better!

Fink
12-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Not gonna lie Montana, those pictures make me pretty excited to eventually be a dad. Love it.

arrowslinger21
12-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I didn't read this whole thread just the first and last page. I started shooting a bow at 3, and I turned out just fine :D lol. well at least i think I did, but in response no I dont think so.

Fink
01-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Jen- Camofire just posted up that photo of your boy shooting his bow. That little man is famous!

jenbickel
01-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Lmao!!! That's too funny!

Ikeepitcold
01-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Jen- Camofire just posted up that photo of your boy shooting his bow. That little man is famous!

No joke Fink you should see how many Likes he got in Facebook! Talk about "Going Viral"!

buckbull
01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
I think its awesome how all this turned out. I think its great that the hunting community can stick together like this.

jenbickel
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I think its awesome how all this turned out. I think its great that the hunting community can stick together like this.

I definitely agree!!!

7mmshot
03-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Hang tough.. and stick to your family values. It does take death to eat meat. Alot of people really can't get a grip on this. They think if they don't do the dirty work and process the animal. They are better then the rest.

Putting pix on facebook of anything personal is looking down a loaded gun.

Z Barebow
03-12-2013, 11:21 AM
My oldest daughter started shooting a bow at the age of 2. (It was a little red recurve). She became the state of MN record holder for midget Barebow division in MN. (The record has since been eclipsed) Life evolved and she shoots very little (She is now in college), but when she shot a lot, she had better form than I!

My youngest daughter (who is now 11 years old) only wants to shoot animal targets and doesn't like shooting bullseyes.

Point is they are never too young. Teach them safety and respect and it will carry through. Your kids will know the cycle of life and will be richer for what you do.

MacDonald
05-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Jen, first, great job! You'll have a fine young man on your hands someday, and he'll do well in the world! Second, let me put his in a little different perspective for you, as someone who taught history. Today we call this a hobby. No one in the civilized world has to go hunt to survive, but the simple fact is, for us humans to live, something else has to die-even plants. That's a simple fact of life. Now, take this back 1500 years or so, over most of the world, and you'll find nothing changed. The Mongol clans gave their kids bows as soon as they could pull a string even a little ways, and they were some of the best archers in the world-still are today! There's only one difference between today and long ago: here, if you miss, it's a trip to the store. Then, if you missed, you starved. People were much more integrated into the natural world. Today, you'd think that cell phone is permanently grafted to their ear, and the disconnect is huge.