PDA

View Full Version : Packing Lite

arrowslinger21
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
These are just sort of my thoughts on Packing Lite (http://kunderwoodblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/packing-lite-2/). I am a minimalist style hunter, but I think a little bit of discomfort is by far an advantage at times in terms of going lightweight and far.

Fink
12-07-2012, 07:00 AM
So, what's in the pack?

pcc2b
12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm surprised that you use a 8lb pack. There are plenty of great packs out there that weigh pounds less.

Ridgerunner
12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I'd like to see what is in the pack myself.

Kevin Root
12-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I honestly need to be better keeping fit and eating better than I have been as late. The holiday parties with all the treats and food will make even the lightest pack hard for me to get up and down the mountain soon :). Seriously I'd like to see the pack list too. There are some good pack list threads on here but there is always room for some more ideas or options.

arrowslinger21
12-15-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm surprised that you use a 8lb pack. There are plenty of great packs out there that weigh pounds less.

There are some decent packs out there, but few that are worth their salt. I wore an Eberlestock blue widow and it was toast after 2 years of hunting. I now run a mystery ranch. Kuiu packs don't hold up either, and i have also wrecked blacks creeks and badlands packs. The only other pack I think that would most likely hold its own for a lighter weight is one of the new stone glaciers, or a Kifaru. I don't like the build of the kifarus, so stone glacier would be my only other option. I have a buddy who goes 8 days in the high country on 22lbs for everything loaded in his pack. Im not quite that good, but staying under 30 is still feasible even with an 8lb pack.

arrowslinger21
12-16-2012, 12:38 AM
You guys wanted it, here it is. This is everything I carry with me for hunts during september. If I know that it is going to get very wet or snowy in the high country I will throw in a set of Sitka dewpoint raingear as well, and possibly a tarp. http://kunderwoodblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/packing-lite-part-2/

Fink
12-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Wow, not much to that pack, thats impressive. So, you don't carry any first aid items? Thats not much food, I'm a little guy, and I'd be starving with just that to eat.
Do you only carry the havalon knife, you don't carry a fixed blade or folding knife as well?

Props to you, I could never be a minimalist.

THEBuzz
12-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Could probably cut the TP in half, with that meal list....OK, all fun aside, what is that carb total or your goal.....just asking.

...ok reading more on your page.....

THEBuzz
12-16-2012, 08:03 AM
How do you work in the Olive oil?

arrowslinger21
12-16-2012, 09:10 AM
How do you work in the Olive oil?

I have trouble getting my olive oil down, I dont always take it, but I really think the easiest way to do it is just to carry it in a flask and take a 1 or 2 oz shot of it per day.

arrowslinger21
12-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Wow, not much to that pack, thats impressive. So, you don't carry any first aid items? Thats not much food, I'm a little guy, and I'd be starving with just that to eat.
Do you only carry the havalon knife, you don't carry a fixed blade or folding knife as well?

Props to you, I could never be a minimalist.
Just the havalon now, I used to carry two of the buck pack lite knives but the steel didn't hold up well enough. No first aid item except sometimes I do take a couple handfuls of advil in a ziplock bag. Your only starving for the first day or two, then your body gets used to it after that and its really not bad.

arrowslinger21
12-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Could probably cut the TP in half, with that meal list....OK, all fun aside, what is that carb total or your goal.....just asking.

...ok reading more on your page.....

My goal is usually 1500 calories per day, the two honey stingers and the nut butter give me a little over 500 of that in just 3 ounces. the trail mix kicks in a good portion depending on how much a guy eats and it makes an easy snack. The meal bars kick in about 160 cal per ounce and i take about 4-5 oz per day so theres another 700+ calories there.

arrowslinger21
12-16-2012, 09:21 AM
I also realize this isn't for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with taking other stuff or carrying a few extra ounces. This is what I have cut down to carrying after several years of fine tuning and finding what I use on trips and what I don't. What is left are the only item I feel that I have to have to live as a predator in the mountains.

THEBuzz
12-20-2012, 08:06 PM
My goal is usually 1500 calories per day, the two honey stingers and the nut butter give me a little over 500 of that in just 3 ounces. the trail mix kicks in a good portion depending on how much a guy eats and it makes an easy snack. The meal bars kick in about 160 cal per ounce and i take about 4-5 oz per day so theres another 700+ calories there.

Thank you....I am hooked and love them.....
I just received my Justin's, so do you spread it on anything or just eat it out of the pack?

arrowslinger21
12-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I put the justins on the honey stingers! Double whammy

arrowslinger21
12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
If anyone wants to check out my bull from this year you can see the story here (http://kunderwoodblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/the-2nd-year-bull/). Finally got it up online!

THEBuzz
12-21-2012, 05:02 AM
I put the justins on the honey stingers! Double whammy

I am tracking now....I'll try that today

Ridgerunner
12-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks for posting it, I am always looking at home to minimize pack weight you gave me some ideas.

arrowslinger21
12-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks for posting it, I am always looking at home to minimize pack weight you gave me some ideas.

No problem! I always enjoy the discussion.

THEBuzz
12-24-2012, 04:35 PM
I like Tuna in the sealed flat pack.....what do you all think?

OH Merry Holiday, Happy christmas........lol........

crumy
12-25-2012, 12:44 AM
I like tuna too but it smells way too much and you still have the smelly pack if you don't wash it out. I guess it all depends where you are at but I did once. Not again.

sdcowboy
12-25-2012, 01:46 PM
i am new to this packing what is with the olive oil.

crumy
12-25-2012, 03:27 PM
I think it is a way to get additional calories in. Not for sure. But I know that I am not up for drinking olive oil just because.

JMSZ
12-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I like the tuna, I take Korean instant ramien (spicy kind), make that up, eat the noodles first and then eat the tuna with the broth. I take along ziplock bags for trash anyways, so I'm not worried about the smell.

About the olive oil, it's also good for heartburn, take a tablespoon or so.

I've never seen or heard of those Honey Stingers before, I'll have to check them out. I like the Cliff Mojo bars and their Builder bars, but the honey ones sound good.

THEBuzz
12-26-2012, 08:05 PM
......hooked on the Honey Stingers and Justins Butter's....reps to Arrowslinger21........

dustin ray
12-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Vary impressive your food intake has me scratching my head and you have me rethinking ever thing about pack weight thanks

JNDEER
12-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Vary impressive your food intake has me scratching my head and you have me rethinking ever thing about pack weight thanks

I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor, however, I consume 2000-2200 calories a DAY with little excersize to maintain my weight. If you only ate 1500 calories a day while hiking/hunting you would be about 2-4k short a day depending on how much you work.

if you are considering this, i would HIGHLY recommend trying it out first before just diving in while out hunting, you may not like the results you see.

dustin ray
12-27-2012, 10:29 PM
I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor, however, I consume 2000-2200 calories a DAY with little excersize to maintain my weight. If you only ate 1500 calories a day while hiking/hunting you would be about 2-4k short a day depending on how much you work.

if you are considering this, i would HIGHLY recommend trying it out first before just diving in while out hunting, you may not like the results you see.
Ya i think your right about that

tttoadman
12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I tend to over do it on everything. I pack cliff bars as my daily snack alongs. I take trail mix, but I will definitely mix in some of the higher calorie nuts.

now for my weird idea. chime in if I am crazy. I mixed honey and peanut together until it was a very "honey" rich tasting mix. I make simple sandwiches with this. I smash sandwiches down until they are like a solid wafer and 4 of these fit in a ziplock sandwich bag. The idea for me is 2 sandwiches per day, 2 cliff bars per day, and a little snacking on trailmix to take the edge off.

I pack the mountainhouse, but I discovered maybe the same as Arrowslinger that I skip the mountainhouse sometimes because I am really not hungry enough to put out the effort.

I come from a long line of clutzy people. I carry a compact watertight first aid pack and jam a few extras in also. I take pain relievers, muscle relaxers to sleep, and ritalin to keep awake during the day(a mild case of narcolepsy makes for a difficult hunt sometimes when there is not alot of action).

Lightening my load is definitely where I need help. thanks everybody for sharing.

crumy
12-29-2012, 01:00 AM
The peanut butter and honey is a good idea. I add bacon to the sand which for more protein and calories. I am considering more sandwiches and bullion cubes. MH have a lot of sodium even people dehydrate own food but that seems like too much trouble

arrowslinger21
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM

Yeah it something that everybody has to fine tune for themselves. However, you can learn to manipulate your metabolism. First off I am a small guy, as I am only 5'8 with an average build. Your going to lose weight, and I will lose better than 10lbs in a week hunting like this. However, I spend the entire month leading up to this also working down my metabolism. This means teaching your body to run on less fuel per day. I only eat 1500 calories per day for 30 or 40 days leading into this to get my body ready for the months of September and october. Otherwise the reduction in caloric intake can shock your body. It wouldn't be a healthy diet long term, but it is plenty enough to keep you alive for a week. Hell people have gotten lost and lived longer than a week with nothing to eat. Based on what I lose though over the course of a week, I would say your 4k is pretty close to spot on with the energy deficit, but then again, even those of us in great shape usually still have a little bit of body fat.

JMSZ
02-09-2013, 03:03 PM
The peanut butter and honey is a good idea. I add bacon to the sand which for more protein and calories. I am considering more sandwiches and bullion cubes. MH have a lot of sodium even people dehydrate own food but that seems like too much trouble

The peanut butter and bacon is good. I made one this morning, my wife thought I was crazy, but I like it.

Grantbvfd
02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Yeah it something that everybody has to fine tune for themselves. However, you can learn to manipulate your metabolism. First off I am a small guy, as I am only 5'8 with an average build. Your going to lose weight, and I will lose better than 10lbs in a week hunting like this. However, I spend the entire month leading up to this also working down my metabolism. This means teaching your body to run on less fuel per day. I only eat 1500 calories per day for 30 or 40 days leading into this to get my body ready for the months of September and october. Otherwise the reduction in caloric intake can shock your body. It wouldn't be a healthy diet long term, but it is plenty enough to keep you alive for a week. Hell people have gotten lost and lived longer than a week with nothing to eat. Based on what I lose though over the course of a week, I would say your 4k is pretty close to spot on with the energy deficit, but then again, even those of us in great shape usually still have a little bit of body fat.

Planning on losing weight and dropping your calorie intake to 1500 to save a little pack weight has to be the worst spot to lose weight in. I would highly NOT recommend this for people who dont know exactly what they are doing. I eat as many calories as a burn and a little more. Too many people try to cut things like this and imo it is dangerous. How about start the season being 10 lbs lighter yourself and bring enough food to stay healthy in the backcountry. Cut body weight before essential weight.

arrowslinger21
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Planning on losing weight and dropping your calorie intake to 1500 to save a little pack weight has to be the worst spot to lose weight in. I would highly NOT recommend this for people who dont know exactly what they are doing. I eat as many calories as a burn and a little more. Too many people try to cut things like this and imo it is dangerous. How about start the season being 10 lbs lighter yourself and bring enough food to stay healthy in the backcountry. Cut body weight before essential weight.

Well like I said, to each his own. This might not be for everyone, but even if you take more food my base kit would still be the same. I have been eating like this in the backcountry for 10 years or more now and I have never gotten sick or had any side effects from it. I am not going to go in 10lbs lighter because that would put me underweight for a longer period of time. Starting out at 150 puts me at around 10% body fat or slightly less and then by the time I come out and drop to 140 and need to put some more weight on. A guy I hunt with goes lighter than this and can go ten days on 19lbs of gear including food water and everything else minus his bow.

Hell deer hunting on some of the high ridges we push 2-3 days without water at times let alone food because most of the watering spots are in the best deer basins. So to avoid busting them we go without for a few days and try to make it happen and then when we have to we leave.

BKC
02-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Hell deer hunting on some of the high ridges we push 2-3 days without water at times let alone food because most of the watering spots are in the best deer basins. So to avoid busting them we go without for a few days and try to make it happen and then when we have to we leave.This seems a little harsh. I am in shape when the season comes around but I would never starve and go without water for 2 or 3 days. Day 1 headach, Day2 migrane, Day 3 flight for life is how my body handles no water at 11,000'

Bitterroot Bulls
02-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Well like I said, to each his own. This might not be for everyone, but even if you take more food my base kit would still be the same. I have been eating like this in the backcountry for 10 years or more now and I have never gotten sick or had any side effects from it. I am not going to go in 10lbs lighter because that would put me underweight for a longer period of time. Starting out at 150 puts me at around 10% body fat or slightly less and then by the time I come out and drop to 140 and need to put some more weight on. A guy I hunt with goes lighter than this and can go ten days on 19lbs of gear including food water and everything else minus his bow.

Hell deer hunting on some of the high ridges we push 2-3 days without water at times let alone food because most of the watering spots are in the best deer basins. So to avoid busting them we go without for a few days and try to make it happen and then when we have to we leave.

Kevin,

I am with the others brother,

You are asking for trouble with some of this stuff. You might be burning 5-6K in calories a day (or more) in high country hunting, and you are putting yourself in a really big calorie deficit, which will cause your body to start converting protein into energy, and then your really on the losing end.

As far as 2-3 days without water, that is just plain dangerous, even more so if you are at high elevation. Dehydration and elevation sickness exacerbated by dehydration will affect your ability to think, and sometimes have fatal consequences.

Be carefull out there.

Muleys 24/7
02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I've tryed cutting a couple pounds with food one time, never again, there's nothing worse than not having enough for hard activity like backcountry hunting, I'm very active and burn lots of caliores. I'd rather buck up and carry the extra weight than go with out. After the first day or two the food wieght go's down anyways.JMO

Fink
02-11-2013, 07:52 PM

You go 2-3 days without water? In the high country? And continue to hunt hard?

I'm not a big guy, but if I don't drink at least 2 liters a day when I'm exerting myself like I do when I'm hunting hard, I get sick. I'm not sure I could sit on my couch for 3 days without water..

Never in Doubt
02-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Instead of going without water and not eating enough food, wouldn't it be better to build up your legs and carry in enough food and water?

Granted, people CAN live for a week with no food, but is that any way to hunt?

Never in Doubt
02-11-2013, 08:04 PM
You go 2-3 days without water? In the high country? And continue to hunt hard?

I'm not a big guy, but if I don't drink at least 2 liters a day when I'm exerting myself like I do when I'm hunting hard, I get sick. I'm not sure I could sit on my couch for 3 days without water..

^^ This. Intentional dehydration just to keep pack weight down is foolish.

arrowslinger21
02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Instead of going without water and not eating enough food, wouldn't it be better to build up your legs and carry in enough food and water?

Granted, people CAN live for a week with no food, but is that any way to hunt?

Mule deer hunting above the tree line is often 2-3 days of glassing followed by one attempt at a stalk when everything lines up. Im not advocating that anyone needs to hunt how I do, nor should they. Everyone needs to make their own call. If you do recall the whole reason this thread started was because someone asked me what was in my pack and so I laid it out in writing. Everyone can choose to carry what they want. Im not going to carry anything more because you dont think I eat enough, and you shouldnt carry any less because I think its overkill.

This was simply to state how much my pack weighs and what I take. If you don't like it tough... I am carrying it at the end of the day not you.

arrowslinger21
02-11-2013, 08:52 PM
^^ This. Intentional dehydration just to keep pack weight down is foolish.

I didn't say i took no water, but most spots we hunt deer in there is no water source. At 8lbs per gallon I will carry a max of 1 gallon and I can make that last for a good 3 days if it is predominately ruled by glassing. My body is also going to be hydrated to my ears before I head in. This only occurs in very specific spots where there is no other option. If there is any way to get water I will do it.

Grantbvfd
02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
I think most of us are just pointing out that this can be extremely dangerous. There are a lot of people new to backcountry hunting and this would be a horrible way for them to cut pack weight. If it works for you and you feel comfortable doing it good for you. I would highly recommend other people NOT to do this. There are others places you can cut weight. Most backcountry hunters should eat 2500-3000 calories a day and atleast 2 litres of water. I try to drink 3-4 litres a day.

arrowslinger21
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I didn't say i took no water, but most spots we hunt deer in there is no water source. At 8lbs per gallon I will carry a max of 1 gallon and I can make that last for a good 3 days if it is predominately ruled by glassing. My body is also going to be hydrated to my ears before I head in. This only occurs in very specific spots where there is no other option. If there is any way to get water I will do it.

One more thing on this note before i go to sleep. Notice how I said that the water is inaccessible because that's where the deer are. A quick 1 hr hike and your at water. It's not like I have no opportunity to get water if things go south, but it can be a game of attrition at times. I'm not trying to hurt myself, and I don't feel like I sacrifice anything. This is just the way I enjoy hunting and where I feel from restraints of everyday life. If something goes wrong someday then so be it.

Fink
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM

A gallon for 2 days, maybe 3, would be doable for me, provided I wasn't doing much of anything for the vast majority of the time.. And, if it wasn't hot as hail. I originally thought you were indicating you had no water for 2-3 days.

arrowslinger21
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I do understand the severity of dehydration as I have had heat stroke once. It wasn't because of a backcountry hunt or lack of water but due to different circumstances all together. None the less I almost died and so I know the reality of it. I know what that feels like now and I know where to draw the line. On an average day I will drink close to a gallon or sometimes slightly more. Trying to skimp on water is not something I want to do, but it is something I have done and will do in certain situations. I would encourage guys to hydrate adequately as I believe it's a big thing. I wrote a several page article on hydration last year and what it does to help your body. My point was that food is the last thing I am worried about. I'm on a 10 day fast right now for no reason pertaining to hunting but rather just for health benefits. Food isn't always as necessary as we may think. You need some but all too I often I see guys headed out on the last day of their hunt with stockpiles of food because they overpacked. I'd rather be slightly hungry than to be lugging that bulk around all the time. Last year in Oregons archery season I added up that I covered 140 miles of ground on my legs in 15 days of hunting. 10 extra lbs for 150 miles is a lot of wasted energy expended carrying a heavy pack in my opinion.

Fink
02-12-2013, 06:26 AM
all too I often I see guys headed out on the last day of their hunt with stockpiles of food because they overpacked.

Guilty.. I think last year I ate about 2/3rds of what I packed in, if that..

Bitterroot Bulls
02-12-2013, 06:48 AM
I am glad you posted some more info, Kevin. There is a big difference between making a gallon last a couple days and going without a couple days.

It seems like you have what your body needs figured out. I try to take in at least 2500 calories a day in the woods, and still drop weight out there.

I think planning for 2500 a day is a good start for a new backcountry hunter.

Never in Doubt
02-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Mule deer hunting above the tree line is often 2-3 days of glassing followed by one attempt at a stalk when everything lines up. Im not advocating that anyone needs to hunt how I do, nor should they. Everyone needs to make their own call. If you do recall the whole reason this thread started was because someone asked me what was in my pack and so I laid it out in writing. Everyone can choose to carry what they want. Im not going to carry anything more because you dont think I eat enough, and you shouldnt carry any less because I think its overkill.

This was simply to state how much my pack weighs and what I take. If you don't like it tough... I am carrying it at the end of the day not you.

You did state you sometimes go 2-3 days without water. I'm glad you clarified. The way I understood it the first time, it sounded very unsafe. Good luck on your hunting this year!

Never in Doubt
02-12-2013, 09:59 AM
I think that we all can agree on the fact that we all have different preferences for what we are going to pack in, and there's no need for everyone to be the same on particular item. I like to have plenty to eat when I hunt, so I bring plenty of food. It's hard to beat being perched up on top of a mountain, glassing for muleys, working your way through a bag of delicious deer jerky!

JMSZ
02-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Speaking of food...

Just curious on what everybody who plans for a regular caloric intake packs. I ask because my pack is at 60lbs for 4 days right now, that includes 1 gallon of water and about 5lbs of food.

However, that 5lbs only gets me to 2100 calories a day, so I want to add about another 500 calories per day, but I'm wondering if the weight for the amount of food I'm going to be carrying sounds about right or whether there might be lighter options.

The other thing is that when I get active (maybe other people notice this too), I can't stand being stuffed full of food, so I have to be careful about how "bulky" the food is, or I just won't be able to get it down, no matter how hungry I am.

Besides a reserve, I don't want to end up like Arrowslinger talked about, carrying a bunch of stuff I won't end up eating.

Here's what I have planned for each day:

Instant ramyun (Korean spicy kind) and 2 packs of tuna in olive oil - this is my 1 hot meal per day, calorie, weight, price, etc, wise, it's equivalent to or better than Mountain House

2 Bridgford sandwiches and/or MRE components - my other main meals, shelf stable, don't require heating to eat

3 Cliff Mojo Bars, I may add some Honey Stinger waffles just for variety, they're similar in weight and number of calories

Instant coffee, gatorade, etc, don't add a significant amount of calories.

arrowslinger21
02-13-2013, 08:23 AM
I am glad you posted some more info, Kevin. There is a big difference between making a gallon last a couple days and going without a couple days.

It seems like you have what your body needs figured out. I try to take in at least 2500 calories a day in the woods, and still drop weight out there.

I think planning for 2500 a day is a good start for a new backcountry hunter.

Agreed. 2500 is a good start for anyone to start figuring out what they need. Sorry for the confusion between 3 days without water and 3 days without new water or a water source. That was a bad description on my part. Water, electrolyte tablets and GU keep me going.

arrowslinger21
02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Speaking of food...

Just curious on what everybody who plans for a regular caloric intake packs. I ask because my pack is at 60lbs for 4 days right now, that includes 1 gallon of water and about 5lbs of food.

However, that 5lbs only gets me to 2100 calories a day, so I want to add about another 500 calories per day, but I'm wondering if the weight for the amount of food I'm going to be carrying sounds about right or whether there might be lighter options.

The other thing is that when I get active (maybe other people notice this too), I can't stand being stuffed full of food, so I have to be careful about how "bulky" the food is, or I just won't be able to get it down, no matter how hungry I am.

Besides a reserve, I don't want to end up like Arrowslinger talked about, carrying a bunch of stuff I won't end up eating.

Here's what I have planned for each day:

Instant ramyun (Korean spicy kind) and 2 packs of tuna in olive oil - this is my 1 hot meal per day, calorie, weight, price, etc, wise, it's equivalent to or better than Mountain House

2 Bridgford sandwiches and/or MRE components - my other main meals, shelf stable, don't require heating to eat

3 Cliff Mojo Bars, I may add some Honey Stinger waffles just for variety, they're similar in weight and number of calories

Instant coffee, gatorade, etc, don't add a significant amount of calories.

I would personally suggest adding either olive oil or some type of nuts for the extra calories. An ounce of each will give you over 400 calories. Put tre oil in a flask or plastic travel bottle and drink it. Neither one of these will add the bulky full feeling to your stomach and Both are high in fat for long lasting fuel.

Darktimber
02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
This seems a little harsh. I am in shape when the season comes around but I would never starve and go without water for 2 or 3 days. Day 1 headach, Day2 migrane, Day 3 flight for life is how my body handles no water at 11,000'

^^^^^^^^This. Not keeping hydrated is a very dangerous game to play. You'd be surprised how much motivation you will lose to chase those bucks up and down if you are not properly fed and hydrated to. The extra weight is well worth the extra energy gained.

JMSZ
02-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I would personally suggest adding either olive oil or some type of nuts for the extra calories. An ounce of each will give you over 400 calories. Put tre oil in a flask or plastic travel bottle and drink it. Neither one of these will add the bulky full feeling to your stomach and Both are high in fat for long lasting fuel.

Edit - I read your post wrong, now I see that you meant that an ounce of oil plus an ounce of nuts will put you over 400 calories...I thought you meant the nuts alone were over 400.

The Mojo bars are 190 calories each, about what an ounce of nuts are.

I just found what could be the coolest thing - powdered peanut butter (they have peanut butter with chocolate, too).

Directions are 2 ounces of water with one packet of powdered peanut butter, but I'm sure you could substitute an ounce of olive oil for an ounce of water.

I'll have to see if it can fit in a Honey Stinger waffle packet - take the waffle out, mix the peanut butter (with one ounce of olive oil) in the packet and then put it on the waffle and you have a 500 calorie snack...

I saw you mentioned the olive oil earlier, I'm going to have to think on that one some more. I have taken it plain for heartburn (works good), but that's just a tablespoon or so at a time. Thinking about it just now, a flask full of oil probably isn't a bad idea, I can eat it plain or if I catch some fish, I can use it on that, too.

Thanks.

arrowslinger21
02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Edit - I read your post wrong, now I see that you meant that an ounce of oil plus an ounce of nuts will put you over 400 calories...I thought you meant the nuts alone were over 400.

The Mojo bars are 190 calories each, about what an ounce of nuts are.

I just found what could be the coolest thing - powdered peanut butter (they have peanut butter with chocolate, too).

Directions are 2 ounces of water with one packet of powdered peanut butter, but I'm sure you could substitute an ounce of olive oil for an ounce of water.

I'll have to see if it can fit in a Honey Stinger waffle packet - take the waffle out, mix the peanut butter (with one ounce of olive oil) in the packet and then put it on the waffle and you have a 500 calorie snack...

I saw you mentioned the olive oil earlier, I'm going to have to think on that one some more. I have taken it plain for heartburn (works good), but that's just a tablespoon or so at a time. Thinking about it just now, a flask full of oil probably isn't a bad idea, I can eat it plain or if I catch some fish, I can use it on that, too.

Thanks.

The nuts are about the same as the mojo bar, but adding some nuts instead of more bars gives you more variety and a greater variety of nutrients. Powdered peanut butter is something that isn't easy on the taste buds. It however could be a great way to get your olive oil in but I haven't tried that yet.

JMSZ
02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
The nuts are about the same as the mojo bar, but adding some nuts instead of more bars gives you more variety and a greater variety of nutrients. Powdered peanut butter is something that isn't easy on the taste buds. It however could be a great way to get your olive oil in but I haven't tried that yet.

I dropped 1 Mojo bar and added 4 Honey Stinger waffles and 2 packs of Carnation instant breakfast (mix it with coffee and water for breakfast and lunch) and that got me to 2800+ calories a day without much extra weight.

I totally forgot about the Carnation.

Those waffles are pretty good, not too sweet like a lot of energy food. I take it you've had the powdered peanut butter before...

Eric Bailey
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
This seems like a great list. And no, I don't work for gannet ridge or sitka. I'll probably never buy this stuff because I already have slightly heavier and much cheaper versions of these things already, but this is a great list. It doesn't include food (which is a very personal choice anyway). It also doesn't include game bags or knives. But, a great starting point for a person of means.
https://www.gannettridge.com/Articles.asp?ID=264