PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Hot Spots Discovered By Accident

Umpqua Hunter
12-14-2012, 02:02 AM
What is the best hunting spot you have discovered totally by accident? Our story happened just this past fall.

With everyone jumping in the preference point game it is getting harder and harder to draw quality tags so my buddy and I took a month off work this fall and did an exploratory trip to SE Oregon looking for a place we could bowhunt giant mule deer each year with an OTC tag. We knew it was going to be a long shot with the fires this past summer, but with the great genetics in that area, we had to give it a try. Of course everyone is looking for that gem, but the way we found it was truly amazing. After 14 days of dry camping, we had accumulated several large bags of trash that we needed to dispose of. We ran down to Sage Flat and asked the guy at the only gas station there where we could dispose of the trash. He sent us to the landfill about 5 miles away on the way back to our camp spot. As we unloaded our trash, the winds were heavy and my hat blew off. As I chased my hat into the sage, I came across a massive set of deer tracks. With the nearby alfalfa fields, we were uncertain there would be much public land, but with our GPS we determined that there was a few square miles of public land behind the landfill. As we tracked that buck, we were about 1 1/2 miles in and that track literally turned into a deer highway. In a few more minutes we discovered the reason, a hidden draw and a large seep. We set several trail cams in the area and left them alone and headed back to the other area we had been camping. We were so excited we could only let the cams "soak" for a couple days before we had to get back and check them out. There were no fewer then a half dozen smoker bucks hitting that seep, but always right after dark. We built a sage blind up against a near by rock bluff. My buddy sat facing one trail, and I faced a different trail. On the third evening, a great buck finally came in just before dark. My buddy had the best angle and took the shot. His buck scored later scored 207 3/8, his personal best. There were at least two other bucks in the same class that we got on our trail cams. We can't wait to hit it again next year.

Have you guys ever discovered a hunting hot spot totally on accident?

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/jimcaddock/BOB_zps5f7ef229.jpg (http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/jimcaddock/media/BOB_zps5f7ef229.jpg.html)

Drhorsepower
12-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Great topic umpquahunter! Here in nv, two seasons ago, I was chukar hunting outside of a small town in east of me. This was the first hunting trip for my friends young pointer, the first covey of birds we got into, lets just say the dog was a tad bit gunshy! He took off over the hill away from the truck but towards this power sub station down in the flats. I was watching this dog running away from through my pocket binos when he went through a wash in the flat. I counted 15 bucks bolting out of the wash with around 40 does. It was one of those moments when you couldn't believe what was happening seeing the size of these bucks. There were a few 3x3s and smaller deer but atleast 9 of them were big mature bucks, the biggest non typical I have ever seen! I'm guessing 230 or above. He had double drop tines that hung down a good 10". The best typical in the bunch was pushing 200 as well. He had the most mass I've ever seen on hoof. We saw an old truck parked at the sub station, the old rancher grabbed the dog, we made the mile or so walk over there and on the way we couldn't believe how much deer sign was in this flat! My buddy found a shed of a beautiful typical, i think it was the big ones we saw from last year. This being in early January, I was thinking just a wintering range and the bucks don't live there year around but according to the old man, he keeps tabs on them and finds them within a mile or so of this sub station all the time. When we got to the old rancher, he saw the shed and said,"you found a little guys shed huh"? I explained I didn't think that was a little shed, he said," I understand son, this area, that there is a small shed." In my mind I was calling bs. We started talking about deer hunting, he pulled out a few photos he kept in his truck and lets just say, the bucks we saw were merely an example of what was in this little valley. The good part is this spot is less than 2 hours from home, bad part is you need on average 2 points to draw this zone. I have been putting in ever since so maybe next year will be my year!

Umpqua Hunter
12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Great topic umpquahunter! Here in nv, two seasons ago, I was chukar hunting outside of a small town in east of me. This was the first hunting trip for my friends young pointer, the first covey of birds we got into, lets just say the dog was a tad bit gunshy! He took off over the hill away from the truck but towards this power sub station down in the flats. I was watching this dog running away from through my pocket binos when he went through a wash in the flat. I counted 15 bucks bolting out of the wash with around 40 does. It was one of those moments when you couldn't believe what was happening seeing the size of these bucks. There were a few 3x3s and smaller deer but atleast 9 of them were big mature bucks, the biggest non typical I have ever seen! I'm guessing 230 or above. He had double drop tines that hung down a good 10". The best typical in the bunch was pushing 200 as well. He had the most mass I've ever seen on hoof. We saw an old truck parked at the sub station, the old rancher grabbed the dog, we made the mile or so walk over there and on the way we couldn't believe how much deer sign was in this flat! My buddy found a shed of a beautiful typical, i think it was the big ones we saw from last year. This being in early January, I was thinking just a wintering range and the bucks don't live there year around but according to the old man, he keeps tabs on them and finds them within a mile or so of this sub station all the time. When we got to the old rancher, he saw the shed and said,"you found a little guys shed huh"? I explained I didn't think that was a little shed, he said," I understand son, this area, that there is a small shed." In my mind I was calling bs. We started talking about deer hunting, he pulled out a few photos he kept in his truck and lets just say, the bucks we saw were merely an example of what was in this little valley. The good part is this spot is less than 2 hours from home, bad part is you need on average 2 points to draw this zone. I have been putting in ever since so maybe next year will be my year!

Yes DR but let's keep that little spot our secret. I appreciate you sharing with me when you were up at our house last summer. I plan to burn my 20 non-resident points on that unit this fall if we get the right amount of moisture this winter. I just wish I could share my points with you and we both get the tag, that would be killer!

I am just wondering if I should go for the rifle tag, or the archery tag. I am sure I could draw either one, but when I called the rancher, he said if I am good with a bow, he'd said it would be an amazing hunt since those bucks are super easy to pattern in the archery season. I bow hunt on OTC tags, but I have never burned that many point on a bow hunt, so that is a bit concerning. From your scouting what do you think rifle (late in the season) or archery? I am hoping to get 2 or 3 scouting trips in over the summer and if the antler growth is off, I could always return my tag and get my points back and draw it the following year.

Drhorsepower
12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
That's a good point UH, I guess if I was you, do you want a buck covered in velvet o your wall or the hard, black horns that the rancher and I told you about? Keeping tabs on them this season, I don't think you would have an issue getting close to them with a bow. I have their pattern figured out, I know exactly what time they water and where! We will set up a ground blind on the water hole if you want. I also found their summer bedding area in that wash and a vantage point to look down in at the right angle( I saw just the tips of the typicals horns) on multiple occasions in the same bed, We would have to sneak up to the edge of the wash playing the wind. let me know what you want to do. I am hoping to have a tag right along side of you. Oh and btw, You can share bonus points! we just have to put in as a party. BUDDY!!! BUDDY OL' PAL!

Umpqua Hunter
12-14-2012, 04:54 PM
That's a good point UH, I guess if I was you, do you want a buck covered in velvet o your wall or the hard, black horns that the rancher and I told you about? Keeping tabs on them this season, I don't think you would have an issue getting close to them with a bow. I have their pattern figured out, I know exactly what time they water and where! We will set up a ground blind on the water hole if you want. I also found their summer bedding area in that wash and a vantage point to look down in at the right angle( I saw just the tips of the typicals horns) on multiple occasions in the same bed, We would have to sneak up to the edge of the wash playing the wind. let me know what you want to do. I am hoping to have a tag right along side of you. Oh and btw, You can share bonus points! we just have to put in as a party. BUDDY!!! BUDDY OL' PAL!

I thought residents and non-residents couldn't apply together??!?? Hmmmmm....well you did say if I applied with you you'd foot the bill for my NR license if applying together caused me not to draw and you sa you'd also cover my NR deer tag if I did draw. Does that offer still apply?

I am pretty certain I want to hunt the rifle season and I know you were definitely thinking bow season. the more I think about it, we would probably have date conflicts with the Oregon archery season, and I've already committed to my buddy to go back to SE Oregon.

Drhorsepower
12-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I thought residents and non-residents couldn't apply together??!?? Hmmmmm....well you did say if I applied with you you'd foot the bill for my NR license if applying together caused me not to draw and you sa you'd also cover my NR deer tag if I did draw. Does that offer still apply?

Heck yeah! Small price to pay for points like yours! We can put in late rifle, early rifle and archery if you want. Up to you big man! When are you going to invite me to your Oregon honey hole?

Ikeepitcold
12-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Ok I have read the previous posts and feel compelled to add to this since there has been some real TRUE stories of areas found by accident for some MONSTER mule deer! I was not sure if I should add my story because I was going to keep this to myself and for my family to continue to find these huge bucks but I feel I want to be involved with this post. Before I start I want to thank UH and DR for being the first to tell their story's and giving me the nuge to tell mine. Thank you guys!

About 5 years ago I was coyote hunting with a buddy North of Reno by a big desert lake. We were calling close to an area we call Hells Kitchen when I thought I saw a dog crossing a ridge line going away from our calls. I quickly took a shot at the dog, when I thought about what I had seen in my scope I truly thought it was a Mt Lion! I talked it over with my partner and decided that we should go look at the area I shot at the animal to see if I had connected and because I thought it might have been a cat we should go look. It was about a 500 yard shot so it took us awhile to hike up to the top of this steep ridge. When we got there we didnt locate any sign of a hit. We then sat down to catch our breath and started to look around with binos and saw what looked like an oasis! We figured we where this high on the ridge we should continue for about another 500 yards and look over the ridge and look into this lush area and see what was around. At least make another stand and pull a dog out of this spot. When we got to where we could look down into this amazingly green, oasis I about shit myself when I saw it! Down by this spring there was a bachelor group of bucks that made my stomach come up into my throat! These bucks were huge!!!! The smallest was a 160" with the biggest in the low 200s! With 8 bucks all laying with in about a 100 yard circle looking in different directions I knew we had found the holy grail of honey holes!!!! All I could say to my buddy was " Mary Mother of God what have we found"? My buddy didn't say a friggin word! I think he was so dumbfounded at what we where looking at he didn't even hear me. We watched these bucks for hours and of corse we where dog hunting and didn't bring a camera and I've been hunting in this area for quite some time and knew we would have cell phone coverage we left the phones at the truck so I was unable to get pics. I was so consumed with how all theses huge bucks would be in this spot together I continued to return this the area while trying to draw the tag and see if the bucks continued to hang out there or if it was some crazy fluke but time and time again they where there. Last year I finally got a pic of one of the bucks that was tucked up under the brush. He was still in velvet and was a Absulute freak! I had been there a few times and it seemed like each time I had camera issues almost like I was cursed to show anyone pics of these bucks. This is the only pic I have been able to get so far and I plan on taking multiple cameras this next trip so I can finally prove to you guys on this forum that I'm not full of shit!!! I pray to the tag GODS please for love of god give me this tag this year so I can show Nv that there are some MEGA MONSTER bucks to be taken close to home.http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/ikeepitcold/Nov2009Deerpics023.jpghttp://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/ikeepitcold/Nov2009Deerpics020.jpghttp://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/ikeepitcold/Nov2009Deerpics016.jpg

Umpqua Hunter
12-21-2012, 07:10 PM
IKIC....that rocks! Have you had any more trips up there?

Ikeepitcold
12-21-2012, 09:06 PM
IKIC....that rocks! Have you had any more trips up there?

I will be going there soon. I will report back around the second week of Jan.

Drhorsepower
04-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Well it's a waiting game now boys! Uh and myself applied for that unit! Hope to shed hunt up there this weekend as it isn't too far from my house!

Thanks uh for applying as a party! Looking forward to a quality hunt with you.

mt-mike
04-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Wow! This is a great subject! My interest in it doesn’t stem from the kind of success you guys are writing about. But, that doesn’t mean I’m not always looking!

Exploration and discovery is one of the most rewarding and sometimes exciting aspects of hunting. I dream of finding a honey hole full of trophy bucks (or even one trophy buck) like you fellows are describing. All my hunting life I have pushed myself to not fall into the rut of only hunting the areas I am most familiar with, and to always try out new and unusual country, off the beaten path and out of the mainstream of hunting pressure. I’ve had some minor successes, but nothing like what you guys have found in Nevada and Oregon. I’m envious! However, I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to hearing about your results. Mike T.

hardstalk
04-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Did this thread start a bit different? It seems a part of a post has been deleted I cant quite remember if it was this thread or not? A pm would help.

NVbowhnter
04-16-2013, 06:06 PM
I found a honey hole last season while hunting with my dad outside or Carlin, NV. it is a hidden bowl about a mile into the Independence Mountains and weve shot 4 bucks there

Colorado Cowboy
04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
While in Wyoming hunting antelope, my pard and I decided to go to the top of a big ridge (highest vantage point in the area) the day before season opened. We took our spotting scopes and started looking across the open areas below us for goats. I looked down below us in a pretty big canyon and saw 3 of the biggest buck mulies I have seen in awhile feeding. I would estimate all at least 180. We watched them awhile and I took some video of them. That was in 2005.

This year we were in the same place and decided to do the same thing again. In the same canyon we saw 12 bucks! Again there were 5 or 6 really big bruisers (I am sure one was close to 30")and and the rest were average bucks. I really don't think these deer ever get hunted because it is really secluded from everyone antelope hunting and not what most hunters would consider good deer habitat. You can't see the canyon from below or from either side, you have to be above it to see it. I think they are there because they are really left alone and no one hunts them. The bad part is that it is almost impossible to draw a tag. I have max NR points and i put in every year. Draw success is about 15% with max points.

Maybe one of these years.

packmule
04-18-2013, 07:06 PM
While helping a guy in Colorado I had spent all morning glassing a canyon I had been given a tip about and picked out some young bucks but nothing special. Returned to the truck and was taking a leak & filling up a glass w/ some good ol' Red Diamond tea and noticed movement about 1000yds away on the side of a ridge. Ended up it was a 215" buck that we'd lost when some hunters bumped him during 2nd season holed up where he could see everything going on for miles. Since then I check that spot first & it's produced a 190s buck, 30"er & a cpl passed 180" deer. This past yr I found an old buck there, but he was just a big broken up 3pt. What has been more amazing is the number of people that are deer hunting that manage to drive right by the deer even when they're out in the open.

MSUcat61
04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
While this doesn't have anything to do with mule deer, it's along the same lines. In 2009, the day before the Montana general opener, my dad and I were helping my uncle move some cattle off their summer pasture and separating the pairs. Since it was going to be a long day, we started at day break, which proved to be an obviously really good time to be out spotting animals. As I rode across the field picking up stragglers, I couldn't help but notice a substantial herd of elk that were grazing out of the timber on a section that was Block Management. My dad and I had already made up our minds to go to our usual spot, which was several miles away, for opening day, but in light of the sure evidence of elk in an area we could hunt, we made a last second change. We had never even stepped foot on this stretch of land and made the decision to go for it. We just studied some maps that night and walked in in the dark. I ended up shooting the biggest bull I've gotten yet, the next day. This was no secret "honey hole," as there were a ton of guys hunting the same spot, but it was definitely an interesting way to find a new hunting area.

Here's a few shots from the day before chasing cows and the day after with my bull: 5453545454555456

I shot the bull in the timber just above the cows.

MuleyHunter
04-20-2013, 08:55 PM
That is an amzing buck your buddy took ! What a find ! :cool:

jay
04-23-2013, 11:25 AM
While this doesn't have anything to do with mule deer, it's along the same lines. In 2009, the day before the Montana general opener, my dad and I were helping my uncle move some cattle off their summer pasture and separating the pairs. Since it was going to be a long day, we started at day break, which proved to be an obviously really good time to be out spotting animals. As I rode across the field picking up stragglers, I couldn't help but notice a substantial herd of elk that were grazing out of the timber on a section that was Block Management. My dad and I had already made up our minds to go to our usual spot, which was several miles away, for opening day, but in light of the sure evidence of elk in an area we could hunt, we made a last second change. We had never even stepped foot on this stretch of land and made the decision to go for it. We just studied some maps that night and walked in in the dark. I ended up shooting the biggest bull I've gotten yet, the next day. This was no secret "honey hole," as there were a ton of guys hunting the same spot, but it was definitely an interesting way to find a new hunting area.

Here's a few shots from the day before chasing cows and the day after with my bull: 5453545454555456

I shot the bull in the timber just above the cows.

some beautiful country MSU!

MSUcat61
04-23-2013, 10:05 PM

Some call it God's country... :)

jay
04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
LOL...that's what they call it where I'm from! Looks pretty similar...

Umpqua Hunter
05-23-2013, 10:09 PM

I certainly agree!

MSUcat61
05-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks UH but I can't help but wonder if you were just trying to get your post count up... :)

fly4fish
06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Hey there Umpqua Hunter,

I enjoyed reading this thread last night and was very impressed by the buck in the photo that your buddy shot. This morning, I was showing my 2 year old son Google images of Mule Deer Bucks and immediately noticed the same buck, so I clicked it and a website for an outfitter in Colorado came up and was claiming this buck was shot in 2005, and although I guess they never say where it was killed, they are definitely taking credit for it (maybe rightfully so?). Below is a link to the page.

http://www.ninemileguestranch.com/photos-mule-deer_2005.html

Regardless of who killed this buck and where, you may also notice what appears to be misleading info on some of the other photos, like the 180"+ buck on there that I believe to be 160"-, and a 27" buck that is well within the ears. Pretty funny I think.

Just thought I'd better bring this to your attention.

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

Kevin Root
06-11-2013, 09:51 AM
What is the best hunting spot you have discovered totally by accident?

Hey there Umpqua Hunter,

I enjoyed reading this thread last night and was very impressed by the buck in the photo that your buddy shot. This morning, I was showing my 2 year old son Google images of Mule Deer Bucks and immediately noticed the same buck, so I clicked it and a website for an outfitter in Colorado came up and was claiming this buck was shot in 2005, and although I guess they never say where it was killed, they are definitely taking credit for it (maybe rightfully so?). Below is a link to the page.

http://www.ninemileguestranch.com/photos-mule-deer_2005.html

Regardless of who killed this buck and where, you may also notice what appears to be misleading info on some of the other photos, like the 180"+ buck on there that I believe to be 160"-, and a 27" buck that is well within the ears. Pretty funny I think.

Just thought I'd better bring this to your attention.

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

Ha, looks like you discovered that hunting spot "totally by accident" fly4fish :) That's pretty funny....

Umpqua Hunter
06-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Ha, looks like you discovered that hunting spot "totally by accident" fly4fish :) That's pretty funny....

Yep Kevin, I think Chris is on to us....lol.

Chris, the whole thread was a big joke for new comers from the get go, it even said so in the original post so some of the members would MAKE UP their best "story" about mule deer hunting. I am not sure there is a real story in this thread, except maybe some of the later ones. It was supposed to be a joke on the new comers.

Good catch ;)

Now we are gonna have to start ALL OVER....ha ha.

hardstalk
06-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Chris, the whole thread was a big joke for new comers from the get go, it even said so in the original post so guys would make up their best "story" about mule deer hunting. I am not sure there is a real story in this thread, except maybe some of the later ones.

Good catch ;)

Delete this ^ in 20 min :)?

Umpqua Hunter
06-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Delete this ^ in 20 min :)?

Nah...the lid is blown off this one, we will just have to think of a new way to tease newcomers Boooowahhhhahahaha ;)

velvetfvr
06-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Chris, the whole thread was a big joke for new comers from the get go, it even said so in the original post so some of the members would MAKE UP their best "story" about mule deer hunting. I am not sure there is a real story in this thread, except maybe some of the later ones. It was supposed to be a joke on the new comers.

Good catch ;)

Now we are gonna have to start ALL OVER....ha ha.

Interesting, I wasn't completely sure on this thread. But man they were a good read when I had nothing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

Umpqua Hunter
06-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Interesting, I wasn't completely sure on this thread. But man they were a good read when I had nothing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk �� ����

Velvet, we will have to leave it up to you how to tease the newbies. Do you have any ideas?

packmule
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Mine is legit & for $20k the next gov tag holder can get escorted to it..after photos I will neurolize MIB-style all that were involved.

fly4fish
06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I was wondering how valid it was with the keywords placed in there that are a little too descriptive for a "hidden gem" (SE Oregon, Sage Flat,the only gas station, landfill, etc). I believed the story, just not the location; you had me going. No hard feelings Nine Mile Guest Ranch, but at least they got some link juice. I will however stand by my accusations of misleading photo captions on the page I linked to with the "Landfill Buck". What do you guys think?

I have not had time to cruise these forums as much as I'd like due to my development of hunting related products, so I have fallen behind. I don't see anymore time in the future (preferably less depending on success) so hopefully I don't fall for the next one!

Good luck finding those hidden gems this summer. I have one, but am always looking for more!

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

Umpqua Hunter
06-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I was wondering how valid it was with the keywords placed in there that are a little too descriptive for a "hidden gem" (SE Oregon, Sage Flat,the only gas station, landfill, etc). I believed the story, just not the location; you had me going. No hard feelings Nine Mile Guest Ranch, but at least they got some link juice. I will however stand by my accusations of misleading photo captions on the page I linked to with the "Landfill Buck". What do you guys think?

I have not had time to cruise these forums as much as I'd like due to my development of hunting related products, so I have fallen behind. I don't see anymore time in the future (preferably less depending on success) so hopefully I don't fall for the next one!

Good luck finding those hidden gems this summer. I have one, but am always looking for more!

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

I could just see someone getting on Google Earth...zoom in on SE Oregon...where the heck is Sage Flats.....and if they managed to find a "Sage Flats" where is there a gas station.....okay...now how about a dump. Hopefully no one made a 500 mile drive out to some landfill in the middle of the desert.

The only thing that would have been funnier is if someone actually found that fictional place and killed a big buck there ;)

Kevin Root
06-11-2013, 11:42 AM

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

I found a nice video Chris by accident looking up what Solvid was in your signature. I've been taking a break watching it. It's very well done. I hope we see more from you in the future here. There is really some very nice folks here once you get to know us that enjoy hunting Mule Deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3h4w_HpPI

velvetfvr
06-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Velvet, we will have to leave it up to you how to tease the newbies. Do you have any ideas?

Not at the moment...........

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

fly4fish
06-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Kevin,

I have been lurking around for a few years, join date 04-2011, and have made a few posts now and then. I do enjoy Eastman's Publications (magazine, books, and TV) and have enjoyed reading the forums occasionally. I agree on the nice folks around (most people who respect mule deer as much as I do are nice and interesting people).

I'm glad you found the video and enjoyed it. I did post the other mule deer video on my channel (Virgo) on the Mule Deer forum, but I am a little apprehensive about placing too many on here and other forums as one could view them as advertisement for my products, which of course is what they are. As for posting them on forums, I am just happy to share with the folks who have shared their experiences with us, but I need to plug my products. I see this a a small price to pay for offering entertaining content for the members to view and interact.

During the last two seasons, I have made it a mission to get as much marketing materials as possible when I can (hunting seasons), thus my brother and I have compiled over a dozen or more videos featuring Mule Deer, whitetail, elk, coyotes, and birds, as well as some action sports and fishing videos, all with the use of my products and in many cases 100% Film It Yourself (FIY). We love it and it puts a whole new aspect to hunting when trying to FIY. Our products do make it easy to get good footage, but it seems every hunt there is something different we wish we would have done. Hopefully this year we will get some perfect videos; of course, most of the viewers wont know the difference either way.

If it is alright with the administrators, I will continue to post the videos on here as we release them. Most are on par with the two you have seen, and thankfully shorter. How do hunting shows not have enough footage that they have to show cooking and pranks at camp? Is this what hunter really want to see? I guess that's what tree stand hunting gets you.

Question: Do you think the Solvid FIY videos you have seen thus far would be TV worthy, keeping in mind that the video quality is much better right off the computer versus YouTube and looks even better on a big screen. I have been contacted by one show but have yet to actually talk to him on the phone as he is busy with deadlines for the up coming season. I have considered approaching others (Eastmans for one) as this would be an incredible way to market my products and get other people fired up about FIY / DIY hunting.

Thanks for the entertainment and kind words. Sorry if this is hijacking, but I guess I already ruined the thread in my whistle blowing post.

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

hardstalk
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Kevin,

I have been lurking around for a few years, join date 04-2011, and have made a few posts now and then. I do enjoy Eastman's Publications (magazine, books, and TV) and have enjoyed reading the forums occasionally. I agree on the nice folks around (most people who respect mule deer as much as I do are nice and interesting people).

I'm glad you found the video and enjoyed it. I did post the other mule deer video on my channel (Virgo) on the Mule Deer forum, but I am a little apprehensive about placing too many on here and other forums as one could view them as advertisement for my products, which of course is what they are. As for posting them on forums, I am just happy to share with the folks who have shared their experiences with us, but I need to plug my products. I see this a a small price to pay for offering entertaining content for the members to view and interact.

During the last two seasons, I have made it a mission to get as much marketing materials as possible when I can (hunting seasons), thus my brother and I have compiled over a dozen or more videos featuring Mule Deer, whitetail, elk, coyotes, and birds, as well as some action sports and fishing videos, all with the use of my products and in many cases 100% Film It Yourself (FIY). We love it and it puts a whole new aspect to hunting when trying to FIY. Our products do make it easy to get good footage, but it seems every hunt there is something different we wish we would have done. Hopefully this year we will get some perfect videos; of course, most of the viewers wont know the difference either way.

If it is alright with the administrators, I will continue to post the videos on here as we release them. Most are on par with the two you have seen, and thankfully shorter. How do hunting shows not have enough footage that they have to show cooking and pranks at camp? Is this what hunter really want to see? I guess that's what tree stand hunting gets you.

Question: Do you think the Solvid FIY videos you have seen thus far would be TV worthy, keeping in mind that the video quality is much better right off the computer versus YouTube and looks even better on a big screen. I have been contacted by one show but have yet to actually talk to him on the phone as he is busy with deadlines for the up coming season. I have considered approaching others (Eastmans for one) as this would be an incredible way to market my products and get other people fired up about FIY / DIY hunting.

Thanks for the entertainment and kind words. Sorry if this is hijacking, but I guess I already ruined the thread in my whistle blowing post.

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

If you find time contact Ikeepitcold he will help you in answering some of your questions and can lead you to the right people behind the lines of eastmans im sure. I find it very respectable to not go on a forum and start blasting your logos and promotions prior to paying your dues and attempting to "sponsor" or be part of the community.

Kevin Root
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Kevin,

Chris Jackson
Solvid FIY

No worries, knowing most of the guys and gals here they are looking for video related products and such to film their own hunts. If you search threads that question comes up a lot. You have a good mission that most if not all the folks here are interested in. I've watched your video and think it is spot on at least. Very well done indeed. You capture the footage well in my opinion. Edit, sound, narration quality is well done on that spot and stalk hunt. The shot sequence starting at 7:48 was most awesome to watch and one of my favorites seeing the camera transitions. There are a few threads on here on TV footage filming preferences and not wanting to speak for everyone here, real hunts and the feel for real is what I like to see. Thanks for doing what you do Chris.

fly4fish
06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I am open to any and all comments and suggestions. I will get a hold of Ikeepitcold and see what he say.

Thanks again,

Chris Jackson

MSUcat61
06-11-2013, 08:59 PM
In spite of all the "true" stories at the beginning of this thread, this is an interesting topic and my is genuine.