PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Area Wolves

arwaterfowler
12-16-2012, 08:26 AM
I have hunted NE of Salmon most years except the last two. I couldn't hunt last year, as I got married, wedding ate up cash and vacation. The year before I drew a LE tag in CO and used all my vacation on it. Anyway, the last couple years I was in the Salmon unit the wolves started to get thick and the Elk got thin. Since i havent been in there since 2010, im not sure if has gotten worse. Any word on the last couple years regarding the wolf and elk population would be nice. Thanks!

Spud
12-16-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure about that area, but the Idaho Sportsman's licence this coming year automatically comes with a wolf tag if that is any clue.

bullelk
12-16-2012, 03:47 PM
There are still plenty of wolves hammering the elk population up there. Hopefully a few more will get shot this winter.

arwaterfowler
12-16-2012, 07:10 PM
I was kinda worried about that. We were consistently seeing elk in meadows at about 8500' for the first 4 days of our hunt. After 1 1/2 days of no elk we finally figured it. While glassing, we saw a pack of 13 wolves, no lie. They were traveling through a small meadow, so there is a possibility that more could have skirted the edge and we would not have seen the whole group. I'll probably go back next year, but I will have a backup plan.

BKC
12-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I was kinda worried about that. We were consistently seeing elk in meadows at about 8500' for the first 4 days of our hunt. After 1 1/2 days of no elk we finally figured it. While glassing, we saw a pack of 13 wolves, no lie. They were traveling through a small meadow, so there is a possibility that more could have skirted the edge and we would not have seen the whole group. I'll probably go back next year, but I will have a backup plan. My backup plan would be a wolf license in my pocket!

ivorytip
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
amen. buy the two then shoot a few more

Bughalli
12-21-2012, 01:46 AM
I hunted the Salmon area on and off for almost 10 years. It's unbelievable how much of an impact the wolves have had. It used to be rich with game. There has been a steady decline and the last time I went it was a waste of my vacation time. Wolves and wolf tracks all over the place. There's obviously still some game there, but they were skittish as hell. Totally different hunting.