PDA

View Full Version : looking to apply for elk in montana and have questions looking for advise please

howler243
12-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I am looking to hunt MT for elk either next year or the following. I am not looking for your honey hole, but mostly how to apply(OTC or drawing). where do you go to get maps. Hows access to public lands and the land layout. Im sure i will come up with more Thank you very much

Umpqua Hunter
12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi Howler...glad to have you on Eastman's, however is against the forum rules to ask for information on your first ever post....just kidding....sort of :D

hvfd21walker
12-18-2012, 07:30 PM
howler go to fwp.mt.gov. It has tons of info on it.

Montana
12-19-2012, 03:43 AM
We have a great free land ownership program. Google Montana Cadastral. Shows all private/public and who owns what.

howler243
12-22-2012, 06:23 AM
thanks guys this helped alot hope to see you out there some year

Breshears
01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
I am looking to hunt MT for elk either next year or the following. I am not looking for your honey hole, but mostly how to apply(OTC or drawing). where do you go to get maps. Hows access to public lands and the land layout. Im sure i will come up with more Thank you very much

Howler, I am currently working on the MT MRS and I will cover all of the basics for application and also give a good start for limited entry deer, elk and antelope. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me and I can point you in the right direction.

Jordan B.

Z Barebow
01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
To bring this to the top.

I am looking at general tag in MT for 2013. I would like to apply for elk combination only. (I can hunt MD in my home state). Wit the undersubscibed licenses in the past couple of years, were there leftover elk combo licenses AND elk/deer combo licenses? Or where there just leftover elk/deer (And the elk combo sold out)?

I am trying to time applications in different states and want to elk hunt this fall (archery), but don't want to draw an extra tag which I'll end up turning back.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Z

eye in sky
01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
There were elk combos leftover last year too. I think there were about 800 to 1000 of them. I think it would be safe to say that it will be the same this year as well.

montanahunter10
03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
If your looking for an archery elk tag, missouri breaks 410 archery is a great tag. Use montana cadastral its a great site. kind of slow to load but shows everything.