PDA

View Full Version : What level of quality spotter do I need

Joshaaron91685
12-23-2012, 08:43 AM
For you guys that hunt out west all the time I could easily justify 1500-2000 $$$ but for someone that gets out there every couple years would a 600 or 1000 $$$ scope suffice? Looked at nikon prostaff 5($599) leupold kenai[spelling?] ($999) and vortex razorhd ($1599) All were nice but the latter two seemed better built. Would the lesser scope significantly decrease the quality of a hunt? I guess my biggest concern is spending 600 then spending 1600 because im not happy with it essentially wasting the original 600 and potentially costing me game. At the same time i dont want to drop unnecessary coin on something like this just to brag about my razor hd if that makes sense. Thanks guys

Drhorsepower
12-23-2012, 09:43 AM
If you are like most if us, you will talk yourself into the 600$ scope and wish you would have bought the better one later and eventually end up selling yours and upgrading. The best equipment you can afford is sorry enough. Go for it man. Buy once cry once.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Most folks don't regret big optics purchases, but I see your point. You don't need the best of the best.

Good spotter values include Celestron Regal ED spotters and the Leupold GR 12-40x60.

Ikeepitcold
12-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Buy what you can afford. Glass is very important. Spend more on quality over size.

Colorado Cowboy
12-23-2012, 11:26 AM
After going thru 4 spotting scopes in 10 years, I got tired of all the problems in the lesser quality units, eg. weight, size, image quality, etc. I decided on a Leupold Gold Ring 20x40 HD. Last year I was in Cody prior to a wilderness elk hunt and spent a couple of days in town. Stumbled on a really huge sporting goods/gun store. They had a GR 20x60 Boone & Crockett HD on consignment that was only 1 year old and in great shape. It was the kit, had everything with it for $800.00. I bought it in a heartbeat and have been totally happy since then. Today that unit is over 2K.

As said before...buy the best you can afford, and don't overlook used ones you might find.

squirrelduster
12-23-2012, 01:03 PM
You have plenty of time before you will need the spotter before your hunt so start checking on the used equipment.
I bought a used Swarovski 10x42 ED pair and saved over half compared to new.
When looking at any optics always get the best you can afford so you won't be sorry later.
If you plan on ever packing the scope around check out the 65 mm units. Way lighter and you don't give up much in light gathering ability.
Stick with the great names, Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, Vortex, or Leupold HD.
My brother recently bought a Swaro 85mm scope and it is incredibly clear but very heavy to pack around.

nvarcher
12-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I use a Nikon Prostaff 16-48x65 and it works great! Although better glass would be much much nicer! ;)

Joshaaron91685
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Besides the obvious ebay and maybe gunbroker, any websites that frequently have used optics? Nobody here uses them so its very unlikely to run across a deal.

Joshaaron91685
12-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Also, whats the deal with straight vs angled? Which do you prefer and why? Seems like it'd probably be personal preference but maybe theres more to it than someone who's never spent more than 10 minutes behind a scope would understand.

nvarcher
12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
I like straight much better target acquisition and more comfortable. IMO

Fink
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
If you are like most if us, you will talk yourself into the 600$ scope and wish you would have bought the better one later and eventually end up selling yours and upgrading. The best equipment you can afford is sorry enough. Go for it man. Buy once cry once.

I always adhere to the buy the best you can, and just buy it once.. I broke my own rules last year, and bought a Nikon Prostaff, when I should have bought better glass. It currently serves as an excellent paperweight. I'm currently in the process of looking for glass that I will actually use..
Anyone wanna buy a nearly never used Nikon Prostaff. :D :D :D

squirrelduster
12-23-2012, 08:06 PM
I agree with NV Archer but have never had an angled scope.
Check all the various hunting forums, they all have classified sections. Longrangehunter.com, rokslide.com and many others. My binos came from a pawn shop in Idaho that I found on 6mmbr.com.
Don't rush into anything and check around and you can find a good deal on used equipment. The other thing to remember about optics is they can have paint rubbed off in spots but still have brand new looking glass if taken care of. Couple scratches on the scope body is not a big deal. Scratches on the glass are.

Muleys 24/7
12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
About angled and stright........ everyone will have different opinions, I have owned both, and can say I will never buy another straight. I can get on targets just as fast with my angled and you will too with little practice, the angled is alot more comfortable for my neck when glassing for longer periods of time....IMO

buckbull
12-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I prefer angled, easier on the neck when you are looking up and also allows me to class easier from a seated position.

lostriverproductions
12-29-2012, 11:27 AM
If not afraid of used look at longrangehunting.com. Also there are dealers like cameralandny.com that has demo sales and show sales. Get best you can afford. You won't regret it. I have a $1000 pair of bino's that makes my buddies Nikon monarchs look like $50 Walmart brand bino's.

mcseal2
01-01-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm in a similar position and am a huge fan of my Nikon ED50. I bet once you get a spotter you will find you use it way more hunting and scouting around home than you thought you would also. The ED50 isn't as good as the Razor HD, but is excellent for it's size. Also if you get an ED50 now and decide you want a big 80mm scope later the ED50 still fills another role for the times you want a spotter but don't want the weight or bulk of the big one.