PDA

View Full Version : Camo face paint

squirrelduster
12-23-2012, 12:13 PM
What do you guys use?
I tried the the Hunter Specialties cream face paint and it gets everywhere. Especially if you sweat. Ends up all over clothes and all your gear. Looking for something that stays on till intake it off and won't run or get all over everything.

RUTTIN
12-23-2012, 01:42 PM
I use some made by Dead Down Wind, comes with 4 colors,does not sweat off and comes off easy. Just don't leave it in a hot truck and tip it sideways, makes a mess.

ivorytip
12-23-2012, 05:08 PM
have you noticed it makes a diff? and in what conditions? i havent used it, thought about it but just seems to messy for me. ive done fine without it and havent noticed them ever getting spooked by my face. i usualy have a beard though so maybe that makes a diff

DryFlyGuy
12-23-2012, 06:21 PM
I go without shaving for a month and call it good. I am not into the make-up, but if I blow a hunt because I should have had it on, I reserve the right to use it.

BKC
12-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Facepaint gets all over everything! I use a face net and just pull it up for the few minutes I would need it a few times each day. I don't actually use a face net everytime I should and I don't think not having one has blown any of my stalks. Facepaint winds up on your sleeping bag and pillow.

Fink
12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Leave the face paint for the dudes on TV. A 5 o'clock shadow, and a hat pulled low will solve all your problems.

Sorry in advance Jen, for you not being able to utilize the 5 o'clock shadow part. ;)

ivorytip
12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
FINK, Have you mett jen??? ha, jk jk jen

Fink
12-23-2012, 09:49 PM
H
FINK, Have you mett jen??? ha, jk jk jen

Oh snap!!

BobcatJerry
12-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I hate the face creams, and found some activated charcoal powder that I liked a lot better. Simple water took it off, but at the end of the day it was still on if you wanted it to be. It did open up once in my pack and got a lot of other items ready to hunt too. Other than that, It worked great for me, but I prefer a loose mask/balaclava, that I pull up easily if needed.

squirrelduster
12-23-2012, 10:22 PM
I was hunting late season Blacktail in California. They are horribly spooky and if I had the paint on I could sneak up within bow range. The first few days I didn't use it and was busted twice by two good bucks. After wearing it I didn't get busted. I had two weeks of beard growth when I started and figured it would be enough but it wasn't.
I hate putting it on. I have tried head net stuff before but had some serious fogging up issues on this trip with my binos and glasses when wearing the head net stuff plus it's irritating. It rained almost every day.
I have hunted whitetail and mule deer and they don't compare to the spooky nature of these little blacktail. I shot a really nice whitetail a couple years ago that didn't know I was around but these little deer are tough. Too many lions and bears trying to eat them is what I think makes them jumpy. Plus the dope growers shooting at them.

hvfd21walker
12-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah im not a fan of paint either. I grow a full beard by the time hunting season rolls around.

Montana
12-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Something to cover your face is essential. in my opinion. It really changed my success when I started consistently using it. But as mentioned it gets everywhere, and if you're on a 5 day back country trip it doesn't help with the cleanliness feeling either. I use the Kuiu neck/face gaiter. It is extremely thin and breathable, no problems with glasses fogging up etc. Most important is that it is tight up against your face, so the loose material doesn't doesn't effect your shooting.... I think we are talking archery here.:)

Murdy
12-24-2012, 09:35 AM
HS (I think) makes some cheap thin camo netting with wire around the face area that you can use to shape the face hole and make comfortable and elastic bands to hold it in place. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap after spring turkey season (which is primarily when I use it)

JNDEER
12-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I was hunting late season Blacktail in California. They are horribly spooky and if I had the paint on I could sneak up within bow range. The first few days I didn't use it and was busted twice by two good bucks. After wearing it I didn't get busted. I had two weeks of beard growth when I started and figured it would be enough but it wasn't.
I hate putting it on. I have tried head net stuff before but had some serious fogging up issues on this trip with my binos and glasses when wearing the head net stuff plus it's irritating. It rained almost every day.
I have hunted whitetail and mule deer and they don't compare to the spooky nature of these little blacktail. I shot a really nice whitetail a couple years ago that didn't know I was around but these little deer are tough. Too many lions and bears trying to eat them is what I think makes them jumpy. Plus the dope growers shooting at them.

Nailed it!

If you want to see why it can make a difference, get a buddy with camo on and nothing on his face and have him go out with the sun on him. You can spot a white face from 200+ yards out easy. If I am still hunting , in a tree stand or sometimes spot and stalk I wear it. If I am spot and stalk in certain areas I do not.

elkgrunt
12-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Nailed it!

If you want to see why it can make a difference, get a buddy with camo on and nothing on his face and have him go out with the sun on him. You can spot a white face from 200+ yards out easy. If I am still hunting , in a tree stand or sometimes spot and stalk I wear it. If I am spot and stalk in certain areas I do not.

I agree he nailed it, ever since I started using it my success has went up three folds...

dihardhunter
12-24-2012, 07:08 PM
I'll be honest... It may make you look like a deadly predator to other humans, but other than the rare instances where a reflecting greasy face inside a dark ground blind might occur...just a waste of time IMHO.

packer58
12-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I also agree that covering your face with either paint or cloth gives you a huge advantage over nothing at all, especially durring sunny conditions. It's a fact that light colors reflect light and dark colors absorb light.

Old Hunter
12-25-2012, 10:20 AM
You have a choice on how you look to game. You can look like a human, or you can look like a human with face paint.

RUTTIN
12-25-2012, 09:51 PM
I can't stand to wear a face net, and I don't cake it on like a street whore, a little goes a long way. I think whatever it is that gives you the confidence to get r done will work.

squirrelduster
12-25-2012, 10:22 PM
I've been hunting for 35 years and bow hunting for 20 something.
I have also not believed in face paint. I didn't think it helped but had never tried it. If you're sitting in a tree stand I doubt it would make a difference. I would be surprised if it makes too much difference in a ground blind. If you're on the ground doing spot and stalk hunting with a bow it will make a difference.
My original question was for a good product that doesn't smear and make a mess of you clothing and gear but this has been an interesting response. I thought more people used face paint but now that I think about it I don't remember ever seeing anyone hunting using it.

Drelk
12-25-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm a face paint believer. No face masks for me. When I was a teenager I spotted a spike bull and a little rag horn bull feeding in a large opening. I snuck up the other side of the ridge. Crept over the crest. Drew my bow. They just stood there and looked at me. And for the life of me I couldn't see through my peep with the damn face mask on. After I few seconds they took of. Worst part is my father in law saw the whole thing and was laughing. Now I never use a face mask or hunt with him

Drelk
12-25-2012, 11:52 PM
I should have said my future father in law

Old Hunter
12-26-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm not going for it. You'll always look like a human to game. Movement and scent is what spooks game. Not your lily white face.

Doe Nob
12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Primos 3/4 stretch face mask FTW. Very comfortable spandex like material. I put it on then my ball cap then pull it up and the back goes up over my ball cap and holds everything in place even in a stiff breeze. No peep problems as it has a good eye opening and the stretchiness of it has nothing hanging down in your face. I do cut out a hole for my earlobe to peak out on the right side as I tuck my knuckle under it as my anchor point.

Super comfortable I wear it all the time spot and stalk bowhunting, waterfowl hunting, and turkey hunting.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/products/original/1012671_1.jpg

dito
12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I face paint. Carbo mask is good stuff. Natural camo is good too but a little greasy.

squirrelduster
12-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm not going for it. You'll always look like a human to game. Movement and scent is what spooks game. Not your lily white face.
You are correct about movement and scent spooking game but if you have a mask or face paint on they don't run. They stand and look holes through you and after a few minutes go back to feeding. So if your standing there in your blue jeans and flannel shirt when they look up they see a person with a lily white face. Then they run.
Couple weeks ago my brother was sneaking up on me. He was trying to surprise me to go pig hunting and was headed up the ridge in full camo minus anything on his face. It was raining with heavy overcast in the afternoon and it looked like he was waving a flag every time he turned his head. I saw him from 500 or so yards without binos.

Old Hunter
12-26-2012, 10:50 PM
I can only go by my own experience. I've starred down game at 20yds. As long as I was downwind, and didn't move. They didn't spook.

We can't compare how we see each other, and how a deer/elk see's us. They see everything in a pale yellow shades. Our face is just a shade of yellow to them. Probably a similar shade to a tan shirt.

Zim
12-27-2012, 01:18 AM
No way I'd ever use face paint. I'd either sweat it all over everywhere, or wipe it into my eyes. Just too messy. Been using a facemask for 20 years without incident.

trkytrack2
12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of face paint although I have used it before. It's just too messy and a SOB to remove every night before bed. I prefer a spandex face mask. Shoot instinctive with a longbow so not a problem trying to find sights. Works great and have no complaints about a face mask.

HuskyMusky
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
burnt cork, super easy clean up!

Old Hunter
12-28-2012, 02:28 PM
burnt cork, super easy clean up!

Doesn't that make the wine taste funny?

ivorytip
12-28-2012, 05:23 PM
haha, old hunter... you my friend are classic! i love it. straight and to the point. yeah i to have to base it on my own experience. cammo doesnt matter, it really doesnt in the least matter. just broken up colors, no blue. i wear cammo most of the time but not while winter hunting, non cammo cold weather gear is so much cheaper. if paint works for u it works. wont hide ya anymore than not wearing it though. unless it has then it does. i think dr sues said that once.

ivorytip
12-28-2012, 05:23 PM
how bout one of the eastman boys chime in here on this topic. they all use to just wear flannelshirts and blue jeans.

JBudd
01-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I use the stuff from hunter specialties. I like it but I don't like the application, have to get it all over your fingers. I used my buddies camo x and liked it alot, goes on without use of fingers and comes off easy. Also, seems like the camo x goes on thinner and doesnt rub off on clothes as easy.

Old Hunter
01-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Poor Fred Bear. Think how much better he could have done with face paint.

Doe Nob
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Poor Fred Bear. Think how much better he could have done with face paint.

While I don't disagree entirely with this, the animals he was hunting saw a fraction of the pressure they see these days. People scout them year round, go shed hunting, hunt several seasons, have a team of spotters out there and can get farther in the back country with better gear than they had in his day. Mike Eastman has spoken extensively in his books about changes in mule deer behavior over the past 50 years due to increases in hunting pressure. The wind and not getting picked off moving are still the two most important things, but if it can make a fraction of a difference putting camoflage on your face, why not do it? A lot of these tags now take years to draw and for non-residents are horribly expensive, I want to cover all my bases, if something that costs a couple bucks can make a small difference I'm going to do it.

If you aren't going to camo up your face, why not wear red flannel and cordorouy pants like they old timers did as well?

Old Hunter
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
What makes you think I don't wear red and black plaid? We never wore corduroy.

Did you miss my name? :)

Doe Nob
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
What makes you think I don't wear red and black plaid? We never wore corduroy.

Did you miss my name? :)

I'm sending you some new wide belted suspenders for a belated Christmas present :p

Old Hunter
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Works for me, but i'm not fat, so a belt works. :D

squirrelduster
01-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Boy did I start a bunch of fun.
I would agree that in the vast majority of situations camo face paint is not necessary.
I see no purpose for it in rifle hunting, bow hunting in a tree stand could be done with a face mask if you feel it's necessary and archery elk hunting a face mask would work. In the tree stand and elk situation you normally know they are coming in ahead of time.
Spot and stalk archery hunts for Blacktail and mule deer are a different situation. Mule deer aren't as wary as the blacktail and normally you can spot them ahead of time.
We hunt in brush and timber areas with very little visibility at times. Anybody can sneak up on a deer they see from half a mile and get within a 100 yards but to sneak up on a buck you spot at 100 yards and get to within 40 yards you need more than flannel and a beard. I was after a Pope and Young buck so I wanted all the edge I could get.
What I did find out is all face camo is pretty crappy stuff.

Old Hunter
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM
If you have the ability of sneaking up to 40yds. (or less) You can do it without face paint.

ivorytip
01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
warm up a pan on the stove, throw in some spring water, dab of veg or olive oil, some of old timers skunk sprays, then add some elk and deer terds, melt stir then apply:0

Old Hunter
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
warm up a pan on the stove, throw in some spring water, dab of veg or olive oil, some of old timers skunk sprays, then add some elk and deer terds, melt stir then apply:0

You'll be riding in the bed of the truck.