PDA

View Full Version : Under Armour Gear...buy or keep shopping?

Backcountry Stalker
12-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Hey everyone. I'm in need of imput please. I'm about to buy new gear and wanted to know about the Under Armour line. Any and all imput is wanted and appreciated. I'm looking for imput on the whole line...base layers to boots...and all in-between. Pros & Cons...buy or keep on shopping? And, if you would like you can even suggest the gear you prefer. Thanks in advance :D.

digger11
12-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Base layers look close at sierra trading post.They have merino wool all the time by RED Ram and Smartwool,,prices can't be beat.Also watch Camofire.com.I bought all my stuff from those 2 spots over a years time before my last trip.

homegrown
12-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I love the base layers and socks, beanies are ok. I think you can do better for outer layers, never tried the boots, but a buddy has some warm weather ones that he likes a lot. I work outside all winter, so between work and hunting I pretty much live in the base layers.

Fink
12-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I really like the cold gear base layers for certain applications, namely ones that don't require much movement, as you will sweat a little in them. The heat gear compression shirt is really nice for seriously hot weather, I think it does an awesome job of keeping me very cool.

Other than that, I'm not overly impressed with their gear.

Drhorsepower
12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Pass!!!! Although cam Hanes uses it so it must be the best stuff on the market.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I have never liked UA stuff.

BobcatJerry
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
I like them a lot or similar type products. Only have one Under Armour brand. Wife goes to the thrift store and bring the stuff home. It really helps keep you warm. I have started wearing it to work when it's extra cold. The fact that it wicks away and drys quickly is a big bonus as I tend to be a sweat hog when it's warm. In warm weather I use the boxer briefs so it's not so clammy when I stop sweating. She got me a Merino wool under shirt, at the thrift store, and it was excellent too. She has a green light on any others she finds. I don't care for the tight fitting, skin tight, UA shirts. I find them uncomfortable, plus they accentuates my spare tire. Not a fashion item for me, but practicality as they work. Love em. Will never go back to cotton.

Backcountry Stalker
12-23-2012, 11:52 PM

Lmao!!! Ok that was my laugh for today!

Murdy
12-24-2012, 07:31 AM
I like the lighter cold-weather base layers from UA. They dry fairly quickly When I move a bit and get sweaty. I have a pair of heavier long-john base-layers, and only find them ok. Never tried anything else (except a cap I found in a clearnce bin, which I like). I think its too pricey and would only buy it on sale, but it doesn't go on sale much. Last few summers, Gander has been clearancing a little bit in July.

Shaun
12-24-2012, 08:26 AM
I think the UA stuff is a hype deal it is heavy and I think there is much more effective outerwear out there...for pretty much same price you can pick up kuiu Sitka or kryptic... That's where my money would go personally

Umpqua Hunter
12-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Another vote for the UA base layer stuff. I use a mixture of Arcteryx, Kuiu and Sitka Gear for outer layers.

Also for everyday use, the UA charged cotton tee shirts are all I wear anymore....they are awesome! I got a 40% off card a few months ago and stocked up.

Fink
12-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Also for everyday use, the UA charged cotton tee shirts are all I wear anymore....they are awesome! I got a 40% off card a few months ago and stocked up.

Best tee shirts ever. I'm like you, they are about all I wear.

Kevin Root
12-24-2012, 11:49 AM
My kids have used some UA base layer for sports, baseball, football in the present and past but I've not been super impressed with them. There is a barrage of UA in the sporting goods stores out our way. I don't use any though for hunting or winter/fall wear. I have some cotton blend tee shirts with hunting theme imprints on them and that is pretty much all I wear. +1 for me on merino wool base layers and other mid layer, outer layer and rain layers. There was a descent write up on Eastmans on layer options and brands. Lots of brand wars out there trying to capture the market. It can be challenging making decisions.

cali_hornhunter
12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Pretty much I have the same feeling about UA stuff and can be a lil overpriced IMO and can get better stuff for the same price or maybe a lil more but don't go cheap on gear you could be wearing day in and day out in the wilderness

Backcountry Stalker
12-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Pretty much I have the same feeling about UA stuff and can be a lil overpriced IMO and can get better stuff for the same price or maybe a lil more but don't go cheap on gear you could be wearing day in and day out in the wilderness

I agree with this statement totally....I was actually sold on getting some Kuiu gear. But a family member is like the freakin spokesman for UA gear lol. But all of them usually hunt down south so that could be a reason why he backs it. They don't hunt out this way at all.

cali_hornhunter
12-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Oh well I would say if ya can try to get some free gear then get some kuiu hahaha

Backcountry Stalker
12-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Oh well I would say if ya can try to get some free gear then get some kuiu hahaha

Haha...yeah I won't be holding my breath for that one.

Maineboy
12-24-2012, 10:29 PM
http://http://www.minus33.com/ is another good one, its lasting a while too.

DryFlyGuy
12-25-2012, 12:17 AM
I use UA all of the time...for racquetball. Hunting wise, they are just marketed well. Their fabrics aren't as good as some of the other brands mentioned in this tread.

Pass

elkgrunt
12-29-2012, 05:29 AM
I wear it a lot, it is great as long as you are moving. If your not moving it gets cold.Polartec is about the best that I have found.

THEBuzz
12-29-2012, 06:44 AM
I wear it a lot, it is great as long as you are moving. If your not moving it gets cold.Polartec is about the best that I have found.

...merino wool, and yes Polartec......available at Military clothing sales...if your authorized.*
[SIZE=1][I]
*...military I.D. maybe required...

trkytrack2
12-29-2012, 10:24 AM

Pass too. They sponsor him so he has to use it or lose big bucks.

Backcountry Stalker
12-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone for giving me your opinion & advice. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with Kuiu or Sitka. Seem to have more confidence with those two brands.

cali_hornhunter
12-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I would consider first lite merino wool too

Backcountry Stalker
12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I would consider first lite merino wool too
Ok will do...I'll look into them

RUTTIN
12-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Core 4 Element, if you find it on Camofire.com you can get a great deal on some great clothing.

tttoadman
12-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I have 2 sets of polartec lightweight. It is definitely warm enough, but it really collects the stink after a couple days. I will be moving to the merino wool for next year.

Fink
12-31-2012, 08:21 AM
You can save a little bit of coin on your baselayer by picking up a Stoic merino wool shirt, vs Firstlite or Icebreakers. I've got all three, and the Stoic is just as high quality as the rest. 9 days in the mountains with the same shirt, didn't wash it once, rarely even took it off.. When I got home, I said to the wife "Sniff this shirt! I wore it 9 straight days, and it doesn't stink!"

She wasn't nearly as impressed as I was.

Backcountry Stalker
12-31-2012, 08:13 PM
You can save a little bit of coin on your baselayer by picking up a Stoic merino wool shirt, vs Firstlite or Icebreakers. I've got all three, and the Stoic is just as high quality as the rest. 9 days in the mountains with the same shirt, didn't wash it once, rarely even took it off.. When I got home, I said to the wife "Sniff this shirt! I wore it 9 straight days, and it doesn't stink!"

She wasn't nearly as impressed as I was.
LMAO! priceless!