PDA

View Full Version : Have you bought a 2013 bow?

velvetfvr
12-26-2012, 01:28 AM
I have, just curious how many upgraded this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEBuzz
12-26-2012, 06:07 AM
I really can't afford to chase a newer bow each year....after 5 years I sold My Mathews MQ1 and switched to a Bowtech Destroyer 350 in 2010...I spent the money ($90) to have new cables, strings, Tuned by Mike Carter (Crackers) in St Joe and I am very happy with the bow and need to take more game with it......before I spend on a new bow....I'll buy a new set of 60# limbs.
But my best friend switches every other year.......

Maxhunter
12-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Yeah I ordered a new G3 Element back in November should be here any day now. I'm lucky and usually buy a new one every year. There's some nice bows released in 2013.

Fink
12-26-2012, 08:18 AM
I can't see buying a new bow every year. I usually buy the top of the line Hoyt of that year, and then shoot it for at least 5 years. I've been shooting bows for over 20 years, and have only owned seven. Three of which were little kid bows from when I was about 8-14. It would be one less, but I had a brand new Hoyt stolen when our farm got robbed several years back.

Murdy
12-26-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm still shooting an 2006 75th anniversery Hoyt Trykon xl that someone traded in in '07, and I'm pretty sure its got more than a few good years left in it.

Fink
12-26-2012, 11:18 AM
My uncle shoots an old browning, probably from 1990. I think it's called the mirage. He still kills a deer or two a year with it!

velvetfvr
12-26-2012, 11:44 AM
So far not as many people have switched. I have a bad case of archery addiction and end up getting a bow every year.

Backcountry Stalker
12-26-2012, 01:21 PM
I got the new 2013 Spyder Turbo....but I can't make up my mind if I want to replace the 2012 Vector Turbo. One of them has to sit the bench. Just don't know which one it will be yet.

CoHiCntry
12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm looking to get a new 2013 bow. So many choices I don't know how I'm gonna narrow it down. I'm in the new bow every 5 years or so club too. I hear guy's ordering new bows before they're even on the shelf? How do you know your gonna like it or it will fit you right? Just curious...

velvetfvr
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm looking to get a new 2013 bow. So many choices I don't know how I'm gonna narrow it down. I'm in the new bow every 5 years or so club too. I hear guy's ordering new bows before they're even on the shelf? How do you know your gonna like it or it will fit you right? Just curious...

Well I try to stay pse, because the grips are always fine for me and I can adjust to the draw cycle. I bought my omen blind. Mathews I can't stand and Hoyt just doesn't mix with me. I have tried elite and the grip gives me issues, and that's all I can try, also bowtechs grip isn't comfortable with me. So I stay pse and buy blind. Always better and with AT I can always sell or trade.

Backcountry Stalker
12-26-2012, 06:32 PM

I bought my Spyder the day after the Hoyt rep. came to the archery shop here in Vegas that I go to...(shot out to Pacific Archery :p). He comes every year....so I was able to try the model out that he had with him at the shop.

Shane13
12-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I love my Bear Carnage so much that new bows don't even tempt me right now. It's fast and quiet, and it sends arrows where I aim (if I do my job right). I guess I lean more toward the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of thinking. And I'm cheap. :D

Shaun
12-27-2012, 09:37 AM
I ordered a Spyder Turbo in 80LB traded in the insanity since it lived up to its name it drove me "Insane"

velvetfvr
12-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I ordered a Spyder Turbo in 80LB traded in the insanity since it lived up to its name it drove me "Insane"

Haha, might upgrade my DNA to 80lbs also.

THEBuzz
12-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Haha, might upgrade my DNA to 80lbs also.

If your talking about the Bowtech Insanity? if so, and for what it's worth...the guy that I had build me new strings and cable and super-tuned it with paper and a hooter shooter, made a comment that the Bowtech Insanity's are a lot harder to keep in tune....

Backcountry Stalker
12-27-2012, 02:53 PM

LMAO! :eek:

velvetfvr
12-27-2012, 03:10 PM
If your talking about the Bowtech Insanity? if so, and for what it's worth...the guy that I had build me new strings and cable and super-tuned it with paper and a hooter shooter, made a comment that the Bowtech Insanity's are a lot harder to keep in tune....

No not knocking it at all, just thought that was funny. No bow is hard to keep in tune as long as you have quality strings.

THEBuzz
12-28-2012, 05:36 PM
...No worries, I was just trying to nail down the "Insanity" whether it was a Bowtech or another Bow maker...lol they change model names so much I can't keep up. I need to state my point better....as bows gained in speed and lower brace height. I think they are less forgiving than earlier bows. And I want to make sure my equipment is right, cause heavens knows, I am the weak link in the shooting chain....

NorthT
12-30-2012, 01:48 AM
I usually stick with one bow year after year. Technology really doesn't change that much every year anyway. Shooting 5 yr old matthews right now, bought a newer one off Craigslist super cheap off a guy that buys a new one every year. Looks and shoots like a brand new one.

Shaun
12-30-2012, 10:20 AM

Ya it diddnt really have a problem with tuming. It felt like a PSE just wierd to shoot for me. I have always been a matthews guy until I changed to this and it wasnt my cup of tea. I also noticed what was looking like fletching contact on the bus cables. With the closest bowtech dealer 3.5 hours away I decided to get rid of it

ontarget7
01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
No not knocking it at all, just thought that was funny. No bow is hard to keep in tune as long as you have quality strings.

Even Bowtechs stock strings will stay in tune after the initial settling in to the cams

velvetfvr
01-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Even Bowtechs stock strings will stay in tune after the initial settling in to the cams

Again Shane I wasn't dissing anything bowtech. Good strings won't really stretch and octane strings are pretty good.

KMock
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Shooting the new Obsession Lethal Force. Wow, it's the real deal.

ivorytip
02-10-2013, 07:30 AM
upgrading every year just doesnt make much sense to me. would be nice but cant justify paying top dollar for anything. wait a year and save hundreds of dollars. that new hoyt has been tempting me though....

Backcountry Stalker
02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
upgrading every year just doesnt make much sense to me. would be nice but cant justify paying top dollar for anything. wait a year and save hundreds of dollars. that new hoyt has been tempting me though....

I agree with you IT....I did that this year and it hurt my pocket pretty good lol. I'm still trying to bounce back from it. And, to add to my pain, my Spyder Turbo still hasn't arrived yet :( and I ordered it in Dec.

ivorytip
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
what a great bow! i was shooting the spyder last night and the thing sells its self, no salesman needed. think i may be leaning towards the pse dna...

Backcountry Stalker
02-10-2013, 05:52 PM
It is no doubt! I shot the model the Hoyt dealer brought with him. At the time I was leaning towards the Mathews Chill. I actually liked the feel of that bow alot....but once I shot the Spyder it was game over lol!

Natree81
02-10-2013, 06:44 PM
It is no doubt! I shot the model the Hoyt dealer brought with him. At the time I was leaning towards the Mathews Chill. I actually liked the feel of that bow alot....but once I shot the Spyder it was game over lol!

Lets us know how you like it when you get it.

jenbickel
02-10-2013, 08:57 PM
My new Mathews Chill should be here any day! :)

Backcountry Stalker
02-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Lets us know how you like it when you get it.
Sure thing...I totally intend too :)

My new Mathews Chill should be here any day! :)
Jen, choosing between the Chill & the Spyder Turbo was the HARDEST decision I've every had to make when it comes to choosing a bow for myself. I've been shooting bows off & on for a nice portion of my life and never owned anything but a Hoyt....but the Chill really had me second guessing...ALOT! lol

jenbickel
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Sure thing...I totally intend too :)

Jen, choosing between the Chill & the Spyder Turbo was the HARDEST decision I've every had to make when it comes to choosing a bow for myself. I've been shooting bows off & on for a nice portion of my life and never owned anything but a Hoyt....but the Chill really had me second guessing...ALOT! lol

Glad to hear that! I shot it once as loved it. It's one of the only bows Mathews makes in my draw length!

Never in Doubt
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
No new bow for me, my old one still works. I'll probably put a new string on before the season starts.

Darktimber
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
As much as I would like to get a new one, cause I do like new toys, my 2012 Obsession Lethal Force just feels to good to retire. She'll be getting some new threads and be doing the killin' for at least another season. Possibly a new dip job to so she still feels loved.:)

rutfest
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
I think that I am going to pull the trigger on the new Athens Testament! 33.25" ata, 6.65 bh and 340 ibo! I can't wait to see her in person with a custom ASAT dip

velvetfvr
02-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Here is my DNA al done finally!!!
Here is my first ever Robin Hood with it. I can't believe I did that with a axis and FMJ!!!!! That's even tougher!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

KMock
02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
As much as I would like to get a new one, cause I do like new toys, my 2012 Obsession Lethal Force just feels to good to retire. She'll be getting some new threads and be doing the killin' for at least another season. Possibly a new dip job to so she still feels loved.:)

I shot the Lethal Force last year an will be with Obsession Bows for the foreseeable future! Their bows are hands down the best I have shot. I will say, the new Obsession Sniper LT is the bow to have over the Lethal Force for the back country. I was able to shoot the Sniper LT side by side against the New Hoyt Spider 30 and the carbon Element yesterday. There is no comparison. The Obsession is far superior in every aspect, except brand awareness. Obsession is the game changer.

Kasey

Darktimber
02-19-2013, 06:27 PM
I shot the Lethal Force last year an will be with Obsession Bows for the foreseeable future! Their bows are hands down the best I have shot. I will say, the new Obsession Sniper LT is the bow to have over the Lethal Force for the back country. I was able to shoot the Sniper LT side by side against the New Hoyt Spider 30 and the carbon Element yesterday. There is no comparison. The Obsession is far superior in every aspect, except brand awareness. Obsession is the game changer.

Kasey

I own the Sniper to, and for me I still like the Lethal force for the backcountry. I just like the little longer ATA and the down range stability it gives me. That said, the LT is one wicked little bow. Great shooter! September can't get here quick enough. I'll hopefully give her a helping of turkey here in a month though. LOL.

Natree81
02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
How similar is the Obsession to an Elite? I have a GT500 looks a lot like but haven't held the an Obsession either.

Darktimber
02-19-2013, 07:52 PM
How similar is the Obsession to an Elite? I have a GT500 looks a lot like but haven't held the an Obsession either.

In the draw cycle, they are very similar. Both very smooth with a nice transition. The walls are rock solid on both due to the draw stops. The Obsession is quieter. The main differences would be the Obsession uses a split limb and the grips are noticeably different. I like the grip better on the Obsession. They both have killer warranties and great finishes. Both are using quality threads to. The new Elites use winners choice, the Obsessions are using America's Best Bowstrings in 8190. Both are great bows. If you like Elite, you will more than likely be impressed with the Obsessions' as well.

Backcountry Stalker
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a612/Backcountry_Stalker/image3_zps6eb9ab7e.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a612/Backcountry_Stalker/image2_zpsa6da2c1a.jpeg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a612/Backcountry_Stalker/image1_zps75e3a212.jpeg

FINALLY! Just got it about 3 hours ago so setup hasn't even really begun. To give you an idea of how excitied I was when I got it in my hands......decided to draw it out of pure joy right. So, as I'm midway into the draw the drawstring slips from my fingers (was drawing with three fingers) and dry fires :eek: At this point I'm scared to death to look at my cams! And, all that is going on in my mind is OMG! not out the box 5 freaking minutes and I've busted my cams lol! Luck was on my side today as nothing happened other than having to repair the drawstring which really doesn't matter because it was being replaced anyway lol! Whew!

Natree81
03-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Good lookin bow BS.

ontarget7
03-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Here is my Spyder 30

Drhorsepower
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Here is my Spyder 30

Very purdy

Backcountry Stalker
03-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Good lookin bow BS.

Thanks...still setting it up. And, I just noticed the pics are posted backwards....gotta edit that

Fink
03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Dang it BS. That is a sweet lookin rig.

Just to make sure I don't do something stupid and go buy a new bow right now..... I'm gonna go put my New Mexico apps in.

Backcountry Stalker
03-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Dang it BS. That is a sweet lookin rig.

Just to make sure I don't do something stupid and go buy a new bow right now..... I'm gonna go put my New Mexico apps in.

LOL! Do it do it do it.....thanks bro :) I'll post the final setup of the rig once it's done. I really hurt my pockets tho. I went all out with this bow. Bought new everything...new rest, new quiver, new sight, new cables and strings, new stablizer....yeah it really hurt :confused: hmmm don't know why I did that lol

I shot it for the first time yesterday. I'll give a write up once the rig is finalized....so looking forward to that...I can say right now tho, that it's the quietest bow I've ever shot in my life.

T.S. Allen
03-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Ok I am in the market for a new bow this year. I currently shoot the Bowtech Allegiance VFT bought it back in 2005. I love it and just haven't been able to make the change to a new bow.

One thing I am having a hard time with is I can't find a archery shop that carries a variety of bows to do side by side tests. When I bought my Allegiance I was lucky enough to go to Lancaster Archery and shoot a huge variety of bows and make a choice. If anyone can recommend a good archery shop that I can go shoot Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, Ect. that is close to western WY I would really appreciate it.

Another tough deal is I have a long draw. I am 6'5'' tall and I and a lefty to boot!

ssliger
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Ok I am in the market for a new bow this year. I currently shoot the Bowtech Allegiance VFT bought it back in 2005. I love it and just haven't been able to make the change to a new bow.

One thing I am having a hard time with is I can't find a archery shop that carries a variety of bows to do side by side tests. When I bought my Allegiance I was lucky enough to go to Lancaster Archery and shoot a huge variety of bows and make a choice. If anyone can recommend a good archery shop that I can go shoot Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, Ect. that is close to western WY I would really appreciate it.

Another tough deal is I have a long draw. I am 6'5'' tall and I and a lefty to boot!

Most people I know that live in Rock Springs/Green River have to go down to SLC to shoot a variety of bows, where do you live?

T.S. Allen
03-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Salt Lake wont be too far. I am near Pinedale. Do you know of anyone that has shot the Insanity CPXL?

jjenness
04-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I picked up my new bow yesterday. Got the Bowtech Experience, with MT Black Gold Vengeance-Big Dog-7 pin sight, Ripcord rest, Tight spot quiver, and Limbsaver stabilizer. Now it is just time to get it tuned in, and hopefully score on a big black bear next week. It is unbelievable how fast and quiet this bow is compared to my 2007 Bowtech Guardian. The technology has come so far even in just that past 6 years.

DryFlyGuy
04-14-2013, 09:23 AM
I will be getting my Prime Shift LR this week. I'll be heading up to Superior Archery in Billings next weekend to outfit it. I'll post some pics once it is set up.

DryFlyGuy
04-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Ok, so I might be too stupid to post a picture from this IPad, but here goes...

5575gb
01-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Yep just bought a used 2013 that looks like new here in 2014.
Darton DS3800 all black came with a $225 HHS sight, $150 Drop away rest, dozen Easton FMJ arrows,Quiver, Hard case,loop,peep, all for $600 shipped to my door. Heck the Bow retails for $829.
Thats the way I like to buy my "new" bows!

mnhoundman
01-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Got an Elite hunter, got to say I'm really impressed, very nice shooting bow.

hoshour
01-26-2014, 01:56 PM
I buy bows the same way I buy other expensive items like vehicles and optics - used! I love it when guys sell a perfectly good bow a year old; it saves me a lot of money I can spend on actual hunting.

But honestly, I don't replace my bow very often. I just don't see the point, since advances in technology are rarely revolutionary enough to make a significant difference in my hunt, despite what the manufacturer's say.

In fact, just about anything I can buy used or as a sample item, I will, though it has to be in great shape. Even better than saving money on a purchase is just not buying a new whatever except when you really need to.

jimi
02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Can you tell me where u bought your 3800?