PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hunt bandtails?

BossBrott
01-08-2013, 04:00 PM
5063the season closed a couple weeks ago, but we harvested a few in the 9 day season.

squirrelduster
01-08-2013, 08:59 PM
My brother loves to cook them. We never seem to find the time to hunt them more than once a year. Tasty.

sjsmallfield
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
We used to hunt them alot when I was a kid. There's just hardly any birds around here anymore. My dad said when he used to hunt them the skys would be black with them during the season and the limit was still 10.

Kevin Root
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
I used to see them a lot down at the Hunter Liggett military base when I hunted quail a lot there several years back. Not blackened sky numbers but groups 30+ or so were pretty common back then. I never thought they would taste good, but sounds like I may have missed out on some tasty bird meat.

Colorado Cowboy
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
When I lived in Ca I used to hunt them a lot. Hunted Frazier Park, north of LA, Silverado Canyon east of Orange and Mt. Palomar a lot. Seasons then were several months long in southern Ca. They are really a fun bird to shoot. IMHO eating is just fair, all dark meat like domestic pigeons.

Seen a few here in SW Colorado, but never hunted them here.

Old Hunter
01-10-2013, 03:35 PM
When I lived in Ca I used to hunt them a lot. Hunted Frazier Park, north of LA, Silverado Canyon east of Orange and Mt. Palomar a lot. Seasons then were several months long in southern Ca. They are really a fun bird to shoot. IMHO eating is just fair, all dark meat like domestic pigeons.

Seen a few here in SW Colorado, but never hunted them here.

I did a lot of 4 wheeling in Frazier Park when I lived there. Never tried hunting it.