PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, CO Elk info

Sandstalker
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi, I'm new to the site and looking for any and all info I can get on hunting Co. Elk this fall. Im a flatlander from the east and this will b my 1st time west of the mississippi. My plans r to hunt unit 81 the 2nd rifle. Staying by the Platoro reservior. Any good places to start? Any good advise? I'm getting an OTC bull tag. Also looking for diff views on scopes. I have a 300 win mag and looking for a good reliable scope. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

cali_hornhunter
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the forum don't really know about CO elk but there is a lot of ppl here that very knowledgable on this subject. What's your price range on the scope?

Sandstalker
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forum don't really know about CO elk but there is a lot of ppl here that very knowledgable on this subject. What's your price range on the scope?

Thanks! I'd like to keep the price under $500

Rock 2.0
01-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 is $499.99, that is at the upper end of your range. Check out a Vortex Viper and a Nikon Monarch too. Pick whatever YOU like the best.

cali_hornhunter
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
I would check out the Zeiss as mentioned above vortex and also leoupold it just depends on what your looking for in a scope

Bitterroot Bulls
01-16-2013, 03:05 PM
I have a Viper and a viper PST. I think a Viper would be a great choice. Take a close look at the Meopta Meostar 3-9x42 ($399). It is tops in sub $500 scopes optically, IMO. I used to run a Conquest, and also thought it was a great scope also.

Leupold VX-2 and VX-3 are good scopes, but don't offer as much value, IMO.

Elkhunter96
01-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Cameraland NY, always has some great after show open box items. I picked up a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 rapid z for 449 last spring. Great scope and a great price.
http://www.cameralandny.com/

Just watch their demo section, I have bought lots of items from them and give them my highest recommendation.

Sandstalker
01-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into a few of these.

canvsbk
01-17-2013, 05:55 AM
The crosshairs on the Zeiss scopes are way too thick for me. Vortex viper series would be in your range and I like them better than the Zeiss conquest.

cali_hornhunter
01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
I have a Viper and a viper PST. I think a Viper would be a great choice. Take a close look at the Meopta Meostar 3-9x42 ($399). It is tops in sub $500 scopes optically, IMO. I used to run a Conquest, and also thought it was a great scope also.

Leupold VX-2 and VX-3 are good scopes, but don't offer as much value, IMO.
It sounds like we had this conversation somewhere else:p I might seem bias on leupold which it sounds like but I guess that was my first scope and its been through thick and thin with me and is part of a good amount of kills and only recently have I upgraded but would listen too BB he's very knowledgeable in optics arena