PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Antelope Units

Multi-SpeciesHunter
01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm planning a hunt with a friend, we are from far eastern ND, so it's a long ways from home and we are 18. Closer the unit, the better. But we also want the best possible unit. We have zero preference points but a lot of ambition. We have looked at units 27 and 7 as first choice units as they seem to have everything we want, good lopes, public and, and it's not IMPOSSIBLE to draw in. We want to live out of a tent with a wood stove or a popup camper since it'll be late Oct or early Nov. Don't really wanna get a motel room... But what units to choose????? There is so many and I can't find a map with public land shown on the G & F website. But we just want a chance to shoot a 12" antelope. We aren't trophy hunting for 15"er. We are both accurate with our rifles past 350 yards. So what units for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice???? Thanks, Justin and Thomas.

ssliger
01-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Buy a Wyoming Gazetteer by DeLorme it has boundaries for the whole state and it will help you plan. Have never hunted the northeastern part of the state so I have no idea what the weather will be like, but if it's like the rest of the state it could be in the 60's or it could be in the single digits with snow.

Eberle
01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
I've hunted 7 several times. You will have no problem killing a 12-13" antelope. You will need to by a Thunder Basin National Grassland Map. There is a lot of walk-in hunting as well. If you are going to stay a week or so, I'd reccomend buying a Region B deer tag as well. If you want specific details pm me.

Good luck!

Umpqua Hunter
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
If you hunt too late, the antelope horns may be getting loose, even falling off. I have never hunted that late, but I am thinking that begins to happen in early November.

sticksnskullsia
01-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Is there any way to find out the amount of public land in the antelope units without having to buy a bunch of the BLM maps?

canvsbk
01-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Just spend the $4 and be done with it, jeez......

sticksnskullsia
01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
you want me to buy all of the BLM maps for Wyoming?

Eberle
01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
http://plicmapcenter.org/view.php?st=WY&ag=BLM&typ=Counties

Go to this link once you decide on a unit & it will tell you what maps cover a specific unit. The Thunder Basin map covers alot of Eastern Wyoming. You can also buy a Wyoming DeLorme that covers the whole state for $20. It will give you an idea of how much public ground there is in certain areas. Good Luck!

sticksnskullsia
01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks Eberle.

ssliger
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Is there any way to find out the amount of public land in the antelope units without having to buy a bunch of the BLM maps?

The Gazatteer covers the whole state and cost's $20, It shows, blm, forest, state, and private land.

Multi-SpeciesHunter
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
So if antelope shed the shell of their horns in early november, why do some units go until Oct 31st or even up to Nov. 20th????? I can't go before Oct 18th at the earliest. That poses a problem.

canvsbk
01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
you want me to buy all of the BLM maps for Wyoming?

I did but with a little effort on your part you could answer all your questions in no time.

robsev
01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
I have hunted the last week of October several times and all I have seen and shot still had horns firmly attached. You will see bigger herds then. That is my best time to hunt antelope.

sticksnskullsia
01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all of your help canvsbk.

WapitiBob
01-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Download arcgis explorer desktop, add a topo server, add a blm sma server, add the WY elk and antelope units and you'll have everything you need to scout from your living room.

revcwood
02-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Unit 27 also has everything you are looking for. Thunder Basin NG has a ton of land, and lots of animals.

AT Hiker
02-05-2014, 03:22 PM
The Gazatteer covers the whole state and cost's $20, It shows, blm, forest, state, and private land.

You gotta be careful with the Gazateer though, it shows roads that are not public as public and some of the boundaries are a little iffy. None the less, its a great tool to add to your arsenal (I have one) but I would not rely on it.

Musket Man
02-05-2014, 03:44 PM
I think Benchmark makes a much better map then DeLorme. One thing I like is the pages overlap some. I find it difficult to look at things on the edges of the DeLorme. They are good for general reference but can lead you astray. I use the preview maps on mytopo alot in my research, then buy a blm or fs map when i decide on a unit.

jims
02-05-2014, 06:53 PM
I hunted 24 and 27 several years for antelope, but that was many years ago. We always hunted the opening in early October. It seems like about half of the time, we got wet snow and wind for the opener. It could get pretty miserable with the wet snow, wind, and cold temperatures. We stayed in motels and it sure was nice to get warm and dry at the end of the day. It always surprised me that the weather could get that nasty in early Oct.

mainman38
02-12-2014, 07:43 PM
get the gps chip I think it is a must for out of state hunting

squirrelduster
02-12-2014, 10:20 PM
We hunted unit 7 a few years ago. We paid an access fee to hunt a ranch. Make sure if you are paying to hunt a ranch it's big. 10k plus acres. If it's not they leave the ranch when you shoot one and we spent several days seeing only does.
There are some walkin areas and some public land. Definitely get a gps chip with the land owner information. We found one nice goat but didn't shoot at him because we didn't know if it was private land, turns out it was public.

Mr_steve
02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
We hunted unit 27 last year and it has a great deal of public land in the north but it is not lope country. On the south there is a large amount of lope country and lopes but mostly private land. If you want to pay an access fee you could easily get a nice lope. You will have to do quite a bit more searching if you are staying on public as access is very limited in 27. No experience with 7. Anyone else agree?

tomcat
02-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Eastmans MRS gives you the amount of public land in each unit. If you plan to hunt any western state, buy a gps unit and the Hunt GPS chip. This will keep you on public land without having to worry about trespassing. The time you save will be worth far more than the cost of the chip.