PDA

View Full Version : Any Bear Sightings?

MT backcountry hunter
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been seeing some bears in SW Montana. Rumors have been floating around that some Bears are being spotted in the Gallatin Range already. Oh and dont forget to buy your license before April 15th or you have to wait 5 days.

Stringmusic
04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
It's getting closer! Cabin fever is killing me.

mthuntress
04-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes,saw my first bear for the year two days ago!

MT backcountry hunter
04-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Right on thats great to hear. Tried to get into the Crazies this weekend for a backpacking/scouting trip but all the roads are closed/un plowed and we had a big storm roll in on us. Lots of snow in the crazies but the west side of the bridgers are starting to open up and some spots in the gallatin canyon are opening up. Hopefully it warms up soon!

mthuntress
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
LOL.If I was a bear I'd go back to bed it started snowing down here agian.

Futboler
04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Saw a Humpy on the Rocky Mt Front last weekend. Still too much snow to think about chasing Blacks in the Snowies. They're going to get another 12" + this weekend. Good lord!

MT backcountry hunter
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I know this snow is ridiculous. Been watching it come down all day at work. Gonna try to learn some new country this weekend and test out some new gear. Hopefully I can see one but Im doubtful.

mthuntress
04-07-2011, 08:51 PM
So much for bear hunting.Its snowing agian:(

MTWillie
04-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Saw a nice black bear sow at last light this evening.

MT backcountry hunter
04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
MTWillie,

What part of the state are you in. Just curious to see if it will be worth it to go out this weekend. thanks

MTWillie
04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Deer Lodge. The bear we saw was near our camp. We base in Section 291 above Phosphate. In the past few years, I have seen numerous black bears in Section 215 E of Deer Lodge as well. Only part about that section, is watch for wolves and Grizzlies. There are plenty of both.

Stringmusic
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Weather looking better this week. Should help with the snow melt.

Best of luck to everyone chasing them this weekend.

MT backcountry hunter
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I have never spent any time in the deer lodge area. I have really wanted to though. I think for bears atleast Ill be hunting close to Bozeman with the ridiculous gas prices. Plannin on hitting the hills friday after work and do a 3 day camp. Good luck everyone.

wolftalonID
04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Was out and about today, lots of snow still to say the least. Only a few crows stirring about in where I went. The winter elk havent even moved back into the area.
Might go back out Friday to take a peek in a few spots and see whats going on, but with all the snow up here, makes it hard to get in anywhere and look without a snowmachine or hours in on snow shoes.

MT backcountry hunter
04-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah we did a drive last night along the bridgers and saw some deer and gophers that's about it. The west side of the bridgers are opening up but still lots of snow in the bowls and basins. This weekend will be taking the gun for a walk I know that but if I learn some new country all is well.

Tope
04-13-2011, 04:33 PM
MtWillie,
You are talking about my favorite bear hunting areas. Do the bears still come down and eat the apples in Phosphate? Haven't been back there hunting for 15-20 years though. We never had the wolves and Griz were pretty scarce.
Warden Rumble!

MT backcountry hunter
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Here we go guys. The pack is loaded down and I am ready to hit the hills after work tonight for the weekend. Its gonna be a scouting trip I think but it will be worth it to be in the hills.

wolftalonID
04-15-2011, 02:36 PM
lol, your pack looks full and all your stuff is still not in it!

MT backcountry hunter
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
The pack weight was actually pretty good. I could have got another 2-3 days out of my Eberlestock Dragonfly. With everything including my rifle, pack weight was 32 pounds. It's nice when I work for a company that sells lightweight gear. Heres a couple of photos from this weekend. No bears spotted but saw some cool new country and some mule deer. Roommate same a griz sow and cub so there out, be careful.

Stringmusic
04-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Looks as if you beat the snow storm. I went out Sunday for the day South of Bozeman. Walked two open ridges, with only deer and elk sign.

This snow needs to stop. It's getting old really fast.

MT backcountry hunter
04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
String Music

We were south of town to, we got lucky that it blew over us. Saw some cool new country atleast. Trip was good and worked out some kinks in my system atleast.

wolftalonID
04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
944945946947948I went out Tuesday up the Salmon River Road. Got way in there and up the switchbacks going into Burgdorf. I got to see the hills crawling with whitetales, and only a few Mulies. Saw a few elk with the help of my binos. Looked and looked as far as I could for hours and never saw even sign of a bear. However it was fun to get out of this snow, see some country I have not set foot in, and dream of the day I can let that arrow fly at those whitetales.!!

MT backcountry hunter
04-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Looks like you guys have alot better weather than we do. More snow tonight for us. That country looks great. I was thinking about buying a bear tag this year or next for Idaho,sounds like Idaho has a good bear population.

wolftalonID
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, Where I live, the snows not yet gone, and today its done nothing but blow snow anyway. That area is about an hour and half north of me near Riggins. Riggins is a much lower elevation, and warmer area of the state altogether. I was advised by the F&G dept to head up there this time of year as the snow here makes it hard as ever to get into bear country, and some of the bears here are still sleeping, and not up yet due to snow.
However, I didnt see any down there either, but being a bit optimistic still its more that I only spent the day there, and not much more time.
Yes we do have a decent black bear population, if it was legal to shoot them here in town, we have about a dozen or so problem bears every year taken out of town and relocated.

Bitterroot Bulls
04-25-2011, 04:44 PM
MT Backcountry Hunter, it is going to be a while before the high country opens up around Bozeman, eh? I was visiting the folks in Gateway last week, and oh man did it look snowy up Bear Creek and in the Spanish Peaks! My old favorite bear haunts are definitely still snowed in there in Gallatin country. Good luck, I hope you find a bruiser!

MT backcountry hunter
04-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Bitterroot,

Bear creek is plum full of snow. We were in the spanish peaks a couple of weeks ago and found a bare hillside but its armpit deep snow every where else.

MTWillie
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Took this on Saturday with my phone. It was a sow with 3 cubs with her. I got within 10 yards before one of the cubs spooked and they all took off.

MT backcountry hunter
04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Nice man. Her having 3 cubs is a good sign that the bears are healthy. Looks like no snow around deer lodge. Not here in bozeman. Keep us posted.

MTWillie
04-26-2011, 04:31 PM
There's still plenty of snow, just not down as low as I was. Once you get up to the Forest Service roads, it's still close to not being able to drive through.

Stringmusic
04-26-2011, 05:32 PM
The snow continues to come down, but don't let that stop you from looking in the lower country. Bears can be found on any part of the mountain (or hill).

Spent some time down in the Custer National Forest near Ashland this past weekend and came across a good size bear track down really low. Never saw the bear, but i'm guessing from the tracks around a 5ft bear. Got the blood pumping!

May should be a better month. Lets hope.

MT backcountry hunter
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
String music im a true believer in that. Your from Bozeman so you know Norris Rd. that takes you to the river. I saw a sow last summer walking through the sage brush out there along the road, last place I expected to see a bear. I saw a big Boar over by Norris last year in the sage brush to. We can just keep hoping it gets warm.

bates_11
05-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Anymore bear sightings in the SW part of MT? I here the bears are out up in northern MT.

bates_11
05-10-2011, 09:22 AM
1026Ended My Bear season last night with a 7 FT Chocolate Bear! Biggest bear I have ever seen in MT. Did a rough score on the skull 20 6/16

6mm Remington
05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Congratulations on the great bear! He's beautiful. Man do I need to get out...........Maybe this weekend!

Bitterroot Bulls
05-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Gorgeous bear, bates_11!

homegrown
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
awsome lookin bear man

Tope
05-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Congrats bates_11! Great looking bear. I sure miss hunting around there.
Larry

MT backcountry hunter
05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice man. My roommate shot a 6 1/2 footer last year and I thought he was big. He missed boon and crockett by 1/16 inch. Im crossing my fingers my season will be done after work on friday.

bates_11
05-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.. been hunting a few weeks for them now, but there really on the move now with this nice weather we have been getting. Seen 5 in the last few days and the area I hunt isn't really known for holding too many bears.. Best of luck to you guys

Stringmusic
05-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Nice job bates!