PDA

View Full Version : Antelope 2013 - Who's applying?

marineman3122
01-25-2013, 05:00 AM
So with the current conditions in WY who is applying this year, who is waiting another year and who is still deciding? My group and I are still deciding what we want to do. Good luck to everyone this year!

Eberle
01-25-2013, 07:28 AM
I've got max points for antelope, elk & deer. I'm going to just buy my antelope point & wait another year. I'll apply for elk in unit 22. Have not decided on deer yet, maybe unit 90. If not, I'll just buy another point. Going to Colorado elk hunting for sure this year & buying my deer point there. Will apply for several tags in New Mexico & Utah.

Ikeepitcold
01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm in the same boat. Max points for all. Since I didn't draw the 100% chance tag for Antelope last year I really want it this year but I think I'm going to buy points for all 3 this year. Still going to do some research but I think it's points for me.

buckbull
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
I burned my antelope points last year, rebuilding this year.

Ridgerunner
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Rebuilding and looking to cash in next year

canvsbk
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
1point for everything here. Just trying to come up with a plan where I can hunt/scout this fall and still get the points.

JEandAsGuide
01-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Point only this year. Will apply next year though

sjsmallfield
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
We are putting in for antelope this year again and just points for deer and elk. Good luck to all!

Musket Man
01-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Im going to apply for deer and antelope in Wyoming. My first choices will be a long shot at best with the points I have but I expect to draw both on my second choice. Going to sit out of the elk draw and buy a point but I may look into a leftover elk tag depending on what I draw or dont draw in Idaho, Nevada and Colorado. Im also thinking about an OTC Colorado elk hunt/mule deer scouting trip if I dont draw anywhere else.

tommyp
01-25-2013, 08:47 PM
just doin points for antelope and deer in Wyoming this year, do not expect to pull my Wyoming elk tag. I am hoping for Nevada archery mule deer and Utah archery elk.

jenbickel
01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm definitely applying for antelope! ;)

sigpros
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Probably going to burn my points before the tag fee hikes. Then it will be so long Wyoming

Fish
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I wonder with all the doom and gloom about the drought in WY I've been hearing, I'm starting to wonder if its worth it to hunt WY this year. How does everyone feel about its affect on trophy quality or is it still too early to worry about that.

I only have one deer point and zero antelope points so I'll only be able to draw a regional deer tag. I'd imagine they will cut the # of doe deer and antelope tags also, making it harder to draw some of those tags.

I can't get fired up hunting WY just for does, unless its cow elk. Are the drought conditions hurting the whole state?

Zim
02-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Since I have about a 100% chance of drawing my elk unit with max, I am trying to draw a red desert tag with about a 50% chance. Would like to do the combo as the seasons overlap very nicely.

trkytrack2
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Probably going to burn my points before the tag fee hikes. Then it will be so long Wyoming
sigpros......the Wyoming legislature didn't pass the tag fees increase. G&F have to find other sources of income. There won't be any increase in tag fees.

Zim
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts on how pronghorn quotas will be adjusted this year? The red desert units I was looking at varied widely over the last 5 years, even though they are all right next to each other. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Those are announced after the deadline date to change choices, aren't they?

Colorado Cowboy
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Since I now have 0 antelope points (used them all last year), won't be hunting Wyoming at all this year, just getting points.

Shooter
02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. But I am leaning towards just buying another point this year.

rfurman24
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I am going to apply in the unit we plan to draw for mule deer with the expectation of not drawing the antelope tag.

HuntWYODon
02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I wonder with all the doom and gloom about the drought in WY I've been hearing, I'm starting to wonder if its worth it to hunt WY this year. How does everyone feel about its affect on trophy quality or is it still too early to worry about that.

I only have one deer point and zero antelope points so I'll only be able to draw a regional deer tag. I'd imagine they will cut the # of doe deer and antelope tags also, making it harder to draw some of those tags.

I can't get fired up hunting WY just for does, unless its cow elk. Are the drought conditions hurting the whole state?

I hope I got you fired up Fish ! LOL ! I have 2 pts loper , 3 pts elk and 0 deer.

HiMtnHnter
02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Zim, you are correct that the G&F sets season lengths and quotas after the draw deadline, but you can modify your application after quotas are set (I'm pretty sure I did this one year). I don't expect them to fluctuate much this year as long as the spring goes OK. You could call the biologist to hear it from the "horses mouth."

Zim
02-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Zim, you are correct that the G&F sets season lengths and quotas after the draw deadline, but you can modify your application after quotas are set (I'm pretty sure I did this one year). I don't expect them to fluctuate much this year as long as the spring goes OK. You could call the biologist to hear it from the "horses mouth."

HiMtn,

Do you know what is the last day to change apps this year?

WapitiBob
02-10-2013, 10:22 PM
june 3 and they always have quotas available prior. You might have to call but they will know the numbers.

Doe Nob
02-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Yes we are applying for antelope! My buddy and myself have been buying points for the last 2 years, we are going to use our antelope points and go this year. Maybe the drought will dissuade some people, it will be his first goat, he is very excited. I grew up in Gillette and haven't been back since I left in 1991, will be good to get back. I was too young to hunt then, by dogged my father around on several deer and antelope hunts. I've been pouring over the apps and working it out online, I think I have my top 2 picked out and 2 good back up spots.

CoHiCntry
02-16-2013, 08:41 AM
We're going for it this year. Me and a buddy have 5 points. Need to decide on a unit still. Narrowing down the list! I took a really nice buck here in Colorado during archery season with a second choice tag so I'm not as motivated to kill a big one as I am motivated to get my buddy his first buck. I'm sure he'll be happy with any decent buck.

Bigsky
03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi all. New to the thread. My uncle and I are going this year. Bustin my butt researching which units make the most since for a DIY hunter to apply for.

spark
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
My youngest son and I put in for tags. He wants to get his first antelope. He'll get first dibs but he's a little trigger happy. I hope I can hold him off for a good one. It will be a fun time any way.

Aught6Fan
03-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm in!!!!