PDA

View Full Version : New to CO Elk

Sandstalker
02-03-2013, 06:46 AM
I am a first time NR elk hunter for this yr. 2-4 of us are trying to plan a hunt for the second rifle. We are getting OTC tags. Looking for a unit with good elk pop. Would take any legal bull. Just not sure where to start looking. We will be walking in every day but don't mind hiking in few miles to get away from others. Been looking in 80/81 but doesn't sound like good place for first timers, esp without horses. Does anyone have any good advise and/or suggestions? I really appreciate all the good advise so far.

izzy69
02-03-2013, 09:34 AM
you have to hike in miles to see elk on the otc units i"m from pa to been going to co for years we walk in about 7 miles and camp there we see lots of elk can"t help you with 80/81 but there are a lot of elk in co just do your homework and you"ll do fine make sure your in shape lots of walking and when you get one down the real work begans when you buy a otc tags it"s good in all the otc units they have so do your homework on more then one or two units so you can move if you have to

Old Hunter
02-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't think i've ever seen a post like this that they didn't say they plan to walk in a couple of miles to get away from the crowds. It makes me wonder how crowded it is a couple miles in from the roads? :)

Most of your answers on right on the DOW web site. It's a wealth of information. Look at all the stats. It will narrow down you choices. When you have it down to a few choices. Call the DOW, and talk to them about it. It's their job! Then when you have a unit. Ask for the number of the warden for that unit. Talk to him. They like to help. Look at the maps on the DOW site, and Goggle Earth. Scout the area if possible.

This is part of hunting. Even though some of us live here. We still have to do all these things.

Personally speaking. You couldn't pay me enough to hunt an OTC unit.

Ikeepitcold
02-03-2013, 11:38 AM
OH is rite on the money. It is their job to answer your questions and they want to help. I have used our biologists many times here in in NV and they have helped me out a bunch. Good luck on your hunt

Sandstalker
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
On it. Thanks guys! Will do some homework

Old Hunter
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
You have lots of time if you're going for an OTC tag. Narrow it down to a couple of units, and then we can help more.

I'm going through the same thing myself right now. I want to try a new unit, so i'm researching my butt off.

trkytrack2
02-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Visit the Colorado Division of Wildlife website...http://wildlife.state.co.us/ and click hunting then "plan your hunt." All the info you'll need is there for you.

Musket Man
02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Is an OTC tag good for both 2nd and 3rd season or is it only good for 1 season? The CO handbook seems to suggest its valid for both but I couldnt find anything that clarified it.

izzy69
02-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Only good for one season then your done for elk in co unless You buy one of the planes elk tag in the eastern part of co

Old Hunter
02-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Yes, it's good for just one season, but it's good for all the OTC units for that season.

Musket Man
02-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks! I thought it being valid for both seasons was to good to be true. lol

Old Hunter
02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
It's just like any other tag, except you don't have to go through the draw.

Musket Man
02-09-2013, 06:54 PM
The CO book says 'valid 2nd and 3rd season, for bull elk' which could be taken to mean its good for both. Wish they would make it more clear. I have hunted it 3rd before but the NR tag was still $240, so its been a while.

Old Hunter
02-10-2013, 09:31 AM
When it says valid in 2nd and 3rd seasons. It's talking about the OTC units.

That's how I took it.

MileHigh
02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Unit 54 is a good place to start. If you're willing to work. I've hunted it during second rifle season in the past.

dying to kill
02-12-2013, 08:21 PM
if iv learned one thing for sure its thats nothing is for sure, iv been on 2 elk hunts on otc units co and went miles and miles it to see a few elk but have yet to kill one, my buddy went this year for his first trip, did no research, drove in a four wheeler access area and came out with a very nice 5x5 and seen several other elk and he didnt go in very far at all. I couldnt believe it but it happened, goes to show u just never know!!

Colorado Cowboy
02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Whats that old saying....I'd rather be lucky than good.:p

Sandstalker
02-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Unit 54 is a good place to start. If you're willing to work. I've hunted it during second rifle season in the past.

Thanks, ill look into it!

Sandstalker
02-13-2013, 06:45 AM
if iv learned one thing for sure its thats nothing is for sure, iv been on 2 elk hunts on otc units co and went miles and miles it to see a few elk but have yet to kill one, my buddy went this year for his first trip, did no research, drove in a four wheeler access area and came out with a very nice 5x5 and seen several other elk and he didnt go in very far at all. I couldnt believe it but it happened, goes to show u just never know!!

No doubt! Just like hunting anything else. This experience will be rewarding in itself. Coming home with something would be a bonus...especially in the eyes of my wife (who thinks u should just walk out of the mtns with meat every time u walk in!!)

Old Hunter
02-13-2013, 08:46 AM
I wish your wife was right. If it were true i'd have 60 elk to my credit. I don't keep track, but i'd guess I have only half of that.