PDA

View Full Version : ED 50 or Vortex Razor 11-33X50....should I wait

Lil dude
02-08-2013, 10:08 PM
New member here located in western Montana. After much exhaustive research and trolling these forums I decided my first scope would be a Nikon ED 10-30X50 compact spotter. I was extremely excited about it as it seemed the perfect fit for my lifestyle. I ordered it from BH photo over a month ago and am still waiting but now I see that Vortex is entering the compact spotter market with their Razor HD 11-33x50, sometime this spring from what I can tell.

My question being, the Nikon has always received raving reviews for what it is and I was more then pleased with my choice.....but should I wait and see on this Vortex compact spotter coming this spring. Or is the general feeling that the Nikon will still be on top. Both compact, both ED glass, both look to be in that $650 range.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Grantbvfd
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
I would wait for the new vortex personally. The warranty alone is huge. Not to mention all the razor hd glass I have looked through is incredible for the price. I think the new 50 mm will be an excellent product and as good of not better than the ed 50. But only time will tell.

Montana
02-09-2013, 05:45 AM
I have to stand up for Nikon and their warranty... This last fall I borrowed my buddies and stripped the threads that mount the tripod. 100% my fault being impatient and not used to his tripod. I was sweating this one as Nikon said that is not covered under their warranty since it was no default of the product. Sent it in for repair.... $22.00 and the sent my buddy a brand new scope. Now there are a few companies I support simply due to their customer service.... Cabelas, REI, Patagonia.... and now Nikon. Superior service and high quality products.

Here's the good news... You have a good problem to have, probably can't go wrong. But my vote - Nikon.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Vortex has a No Fault Lifetime Transferrable Warranty.

Montana,

Had it been a Vortex, it would have saved you $22.

That said, looking closely at the two designs, my guess would be the performance is VERY similar. Looks can be deceiving, though, and the Nikon has the advantage of a greater eyepiece selection.

The Vortex also has a dual focus knob.

Lil dude
02-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I was hoping everyone would have more of an opinion (like normal). Even the warranties are basically a wash. I was wondering whether the vortex outer shells are tougher in general. That is the one thing I noticed about the ED 50 comments was that it didn't seem to beefy. It is a high end optic so only so much can be done. Being in Montana we can't get our hands on any of these items unless we order them.

Maybe it will come down to availability. The ED50 has been on order for a month now. I did notice that the ED50 is one of the few items on the web where you google it and can really only find one maybe two places who carry it (and that's not even in stock ever)

Any more thoughts are appreciated

Montana
02-10-2013, 05:22 AM
In regards to it being beefy>>> Keep in mind they are after a light weight product>

BigSurArcher
02-12-2013, 07:40 PM
I'll have my new Vortex Razor 50 Saturday. My Nikon ED50 angled is for sale if any of you are interested.

Yes, I'm selling the Nikon to fund the Vortex. I'll find out shortly if it was worth it. Side by side comparison to come by Monday if I still have the Nikon.

Lil dude
02-13-2013, 08:28 AM
BIg Sur Archer

I will wait for your review on Monday. Where did you find the Vortex 50mm for sale already. A side by side coparison will be much appreciated. I'm thinking of cancelling the ED 50 order today especially if I can get the vortex already. Keep us posted

BigSurArcher
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
I was on a waiting list with ElkNut Outdoors since around the first of the year and Vortex just started supplying some of their dealers, luckily I'll have my hands on the first batch he receives.

Montana
02-15-2013, 06:29 AM
BigSur... Let's chat on your ED 50... Any chance of selling the body only?

BigSurArcher
02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Montana, there actually is a chance, a small one. A guy on another site wanted to purchase the eyepiece so if I can coordinate for them to both be sold then I might do it. I'm really not positive I want to get rid of the ED5o yet though. PM me your offer for the body and I will touch base with the guy on the eyepiece.

Here is a little comparison video I put together. I focused more on practicality rather than technicality, figured some guys (Bitterroot) would probably be doing more technical stuff down the road. Besides, anyone can just look up the specs if that's what they want to know about.

http://vimeo.com/59926662

Montana
02-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Very nice review... Impressive. PM sent.

Montana
02-19-2013, 06:40 AM
I think your PM box is full...

BigSurArcher
02-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Woops sorry about that, I had no idea. I'll clear it up now Montana.

Lil dude
02-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks....super helpful review to actually see them side by side. Basically what I picked up is if you don't own an ed 50 already, it looks as if the vortex is the way to go with slightly better glass and the fine focus option.

The only con I picked up is that roll down eyepiece? How big of deal is that. It looked like a pain in the butt compared to the twist up on the minox. All in all a rather sloppy design flaw? But, not enough to dissuade you from the vortex I guess.

BigSurArcher
02-19-2013, 10:06 AM
It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme, but why have an eye cup when you have no choice but to leave it rolled down? I guess a guy could trim it to find a happy medium. I can see where they wanted to keep things simple and keep weight/ cost down by not putting a twist-up on that little eyepiece. They shouldn't have made it so damn deep. Up is too deep, down is too short (for me anyway). It's fine from 11-16x, but after that you need to roll it down. It's pretty stiff so rolling it down and up all the time isn't an efficient option. But since that's the scopes biggest fault so far, I'd say it's doing very well.

Bow newbie
02-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Great review! Very helpful.

dying to kill
02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
yes very helpfull, i looked threw a razor 60 yesterday and couldnt believe my eyes just to dern big to carry around.

dying to kill
02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
BigSur- iv been looking at the viper hd 60x it dont appear to be much bigger than the razor hd compact, their both around the same price, more power for same money not much bigger, any thoughts?

Grantbvfd
02-25-2013, 08:46 PM
BigSur- iv been looking at the viper hd 60x it dont appear to be much bigger than the razor hd compact, their both around the same price, more power for same money not much bigger, any thoughts?

Are you talking about the 85mm? Im confused... the viper is heavier than the razor line in the same mm. They don't have a 50mm in the viper line.

BigSurArcher
02-26-2013, 10:07 AM

The Viper HD you're referring to is a 65mm scope and is twice the weight and almost 5 inches longer than the Razor HD 50.

dying to kill
02-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Got cha , What about quality of glass for the money ? Think the compact razor hd 50 compact is the best bang for your buck?

dying to kill
02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
yes it was the 85mm i was talking about.
Are you talking about the 85mm? Im confused... the viper is heavier than the razor line in the same mm. They don't have a 50mm in the viper line.

Grantbvfd
02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Got cha , What about quality of glass for the money ? Think the compact razor hd 50 compact is the best bang for your buck?

It all depends what you are going to use it for... if you are going to get one spotter to do everything my recomendation would be the razor 65. For the price you can't beat it.
The 50mm is a lightweight compact spotter that is geared more towards someone counting ounces. 11x-33x

The 65mm is a middle of the road. It is 23 ounces heavier than the 50 and 17 ounces lighter than the 85. 16x-48x

The 85mm is big scope that has a larger FOV than its smaller brothers. It will do excellent in low light and long distances but weighs over 4 lbs.

There is a lot more to all these scopes. If you have any specific questions let us know.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
The 85mm is big scope that has a larger FOV than its smaller brothers.

Actually the 50mm has the widest FOVs, the 65mm is next widest, and the 85mm has the narrowest FOV range.

The 85mm will be much brighter at the same magnifications as the smaller scopes.

SCOPE eye rel. CF FOV Length Weight
20-60x85 Angled 18-20 mm 16.4' 117-60' / 2.2-1.1 15.3" 65.7 oz
16-48x65 Angled 18-20 mm 11.5' 138-75' / 2.7-1.4 14.1" 48.4 oz
11-33x50 Angled 20 mm 11.5' 191-96' / 3.6-1.8 10.3" 25.0 oz

BKC
02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Hey BB, What is your experience on the vortex 2x doubler. I have an older 25X 50mm fixed leupold that I like carrying, I just wish I had a little more power sometimes. Do you know what the diameter of the piece that slips over the eye piece is? Have you looked thru this ?

Grantbvfd
02-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Actually the 50mm has the widest FOVs, the 65mm is next widest, and the 85mm has the narrowest FOV range.

The 85mm will be much brighter at the same magnifications as the smaller scopes.

SCOPE eye rel. CF FOV Length Weight
20-60x85 Angled 18-20 mm 16.4' 117-60' / 2.2-1.1 15.3" 65.7 oz
16-48x65 Angled 18-20 mm 11.5' 138-75' / 2.7-1.4 14.1" 48.4 oz
11-33x50 Angled 20 mm 11.5' 191-96' / 3.6-1.8 10.3" 25.0 oz

I swore Paul just did a review and he said the 85 was the largest.... my bad

Bitterroot Bulls
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Hey BB, What is your experience on the vortex 2x doubler. I have an older 25X 50mm fixed leupold that I like carrying, I just wish I had a little more power sometimes. Do you know what the diameter of the piece that slips over the eye piece is? Have you looked thru this ?

I have looked through it. It fits the standard Vortex eyepiece diameter, and I don't know, but I think it is too small for the old Luepy roof spotters. My impression was it would work for a quick look, but degrades image quality noticeably.

JMSZ
04-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks....super helpful review to actually see them side by side. Basically what I picked up is if you don't own an ed 50 already, it looks as if the vortex is the way to go with slightly better glass and the fine focus option.

The only con I picked up is that roll down eyepiece? How big of deal is that. It looked like a pain in the butt compared to the twist up on the minox. All in all a rather sloppy design flaw? But, not enough to dissuade you from the vortex I guess.

From looking at the video, they have the stiff eye cup because of the cover - the eye cup has to be stiff enough to hold on to the cover. Obviously, they put the priority on the cover.

They may not have used the twist eye cup to keep it simple or because of legal considerations, Nikon or Minox may have a patent on the design or some key part of it.

Muleys 24/7
04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
From looking at the video, they have the stiff eye cup because of the cover - the eye cup has to be stiff enough to hold on to the cover. Obviously, they put the priority on the cover.

They may not have used the twist eye cup to keep it simple or because of legal considerations, Nikon or Minox may have a patent on the design or some key part of it.

I wonder how they get away with the body style. They look very similar as well.

mcseal2
05-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Saw this is an older thread, but will probably still be looked at a lot with the excellent side by side comparison on the scopes by BigSur

For what it's worth, my eyes seem to be really picky on what works for me. I leave the eyepiece extended on the ED50 and can use the full zoom, been using mine for 2 seasons now. The Zeiss Victory FLT binos fit me also, I use them one click short of being fully extended and they fit me perfect. Most versions I tried including the Cabelas Euros, Vortex Razor, Zen Ray Prime, and Minox HG left me wanting to extend them one more click. Maybe this will help someone having a similar problem with optics.

Fatrascal
05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Big Sur, great review. fatrascal.

Antler addict
05-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Great review BigSur, thanks for the comparison. Are you using a larger objective for most of your trips not concerning weight? If so which spotter and what is low light comparison between the vortex 50mm and your larger objective. I currently have the 85 mm objective razor and was wondering how much lowlight performance I would sacrifice going with a 50mm packer

25contender
06-01-2013, 08:08 PM
BigSur Nice video review. Thanks for taking the time.