PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Basin Whitetails

HiMtnHnter
02-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Looking for information in hunting whitetails in the Bighorn Basin. There appears to be a lot of areas. Most of the riverbottom appears to be private, as usual. For those of you with actual first hand experience there, what area(s) would you recommend based on:

1. Accessable land (riverbottom that is either public or WIA/HMA)
2. Quantity of whitetails
3. Quality of whitetails

I've done quite a bit of research on this subject already, but there's nothing like actually being there, which I haven't yet. A map can't show whitetail existence or density in various drainages, nor can it show if a paticular section of WIA has decent agricultural land and holds whitetails. I would appreciate any insight you can provide.

HuntWYODon
02-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm sure a young lady will be repling to you soon on this.... ;)

jenbickel
02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm sure a young lady will be repling to you soon on this.... ;)

Lol this made me laugh!!

Public land hunting of the bighorn basin is tough! Tons of private land and the deer know where they are safe. ;) Most the areas around here you're not going to find a large whitetail buck on the WIA. You may get lucky and find a few does though. There's are TONS of deer though! You can PM me with specific areas you are looking at if you want and I can give you more info!

WYcoyote
02-14-2013, 09:32 PM
An example of a BH Basin public land whitetail I got this Nov.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/mjkbpics/Elkanddeer20120163_zps63b28764.jpg

HiMtnHnter
02-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Nice buck. . . Jen, PM sent.

HiMtnHnter
02-16-2013, 08:10 AM
WYcoyote, I sent you a PM as well.

Elkoholic307
02-24-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't know about the Sheridan area but the whitetails here in the Basin got hit hard by blue tongue. They're recovering but the hunting isn't like it used to be.

WYrider
03-11-2013, 10:48 PM
When you say BigHorn Basin I assume you are talking about Lovell, Graybull, Cody area. Sheridan is Powder River Basin. I know around Lovell there is a few spots on the river that is public. Have done some Phesant hunting 2 or 3 years ago. Took a boat out from the cosway to get to some spots. We found some Nice Bucks that where killed on the banks of the river. Found 3 in one day. But, Blue tounge obviously had hit that area. As Elkoholic said, with the drought last year another form of Blue Tounge hit hard. My brother in law hunts the river bottoms, some private some public. Might be able to get permission fairly easy.

HiMtnHnter
03-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, I'm referring to the Bighorn Basin.

Elkoholic307
03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
I think Jen was the one who was confused.

WYrider
04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I think Jen was the one who was confused.

Yeah, sorry thats what I ment.