PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a rifle during archery????????

tdub24
02-17-2013, 08:14 AM
A friend and I are planning on buying an A tag for either Sawtooth or Smoky Mountain zones this year, not sure which one we will go with. Which ever we (I) choose, we will get multiple scouting trips in, so I'm not asking for advice on those units. We were thinking about flipping a coin to see who gets to kill first if the opportunity arises. I am wondering if we both have elk and wolf tags, is it legal for one to carry a bow and one to carry a rifle? I don't know what the wolf population looks like in those areas, but it would be nice to be able to take one if we see one way back in.

Thanks

Thomas

Musket Man
02-17-2013, 05:34 PM
I would call IDFG. Seems to me there is something allowing bow hunters to carry a gun or pistol after some bow hunters having close calls with wolves and there are definitely wolves in those areas.

tdub24
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Thanks Musket Man. I planned on giving them a jingle, just seeing if anybody on here had any knowledge first.

wolftalonID
02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes you can carry in Idaho during bow season.
Bear, lion, wolf are all open during the bow season and those are any weapon. So no rule says you cannot also have the rifle or pistol on you and your bow. I personally try to have a side arm when I bow hunt. So far only one year did I not have one on me but the two guys with me did, so well covered.

Enjoy the hunt and hopefully you peg a dog or two!!! GL

PLPursuits
02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
I always pack my sako finnlight with me. Never know when a wolf or bear will pop up! Use a good pack or scabbard and you wont even know its there.
Dan

ivorytip
03-01-2013, 11:46 AM
im packing both bow and rifle for bear in april. bow bear kill would be sweet but if it doesnt give me that chance ill be able to reach out there with 150 grains of delicacy