PDA

View Full Version : My "pet" deer

jenbickel
02-19-2013, 04:55 PM
So I had a deer that has been hanging out in my horse's haystack for like the past month. I took tons of pictures of him and always enjoyed seeing him. Sadly, he went to the big haystack in the sky! He had a really different rack and tomorrow the G & F is coming out to give me a tag for it and run some tests to see why he died. 51785179

I just wanted to share the pictures!

Muleys 24/7
02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Nice pet, I'd bet it was cool always looking at him everytime you went out.

N.Y.ArcheryMadMan
02-19-2013, 05:04 PM
When You find out the Cause of Death.... Please Post.... Very Intresting.....

Colorado Cowboy
02-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Got my Wyoming Wildlife today and there is an interesting article that might have something to do with this. Article states that feeding hay to deer in the winter is actually bad for them as they have some sort of different type of bacteria that developes during the winter that allows them to change their diet. Havn't had a chance to read the whole thing, but we have the same situation around here.

Ikeepitcold
02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Very sad! I liked seeing all the pics of that buck.

Backcountry Stalker
02-19-2013, 10:54 PM
And here it is I'm thinking the "All Outdoor Super Mom" knew how to cook! :p jking

CrimsonArrow
02-20-2013, 07:17 AM
I feed about 20 deer here in my backyard, and can't help but feel some affinity to my wild "pets". It's a shame to lose such a nice buck from the herd. Please let us know when you find something out.

Kevin Root
02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Got my Wyoming Wildlife today and there is an interesting article that might have something to do with this. Article states that feeding hay to deer in the winter is actually bad for them as they have some sort of different type of bacteria that developes during the winter that allows them to change their diet. Havn't had a chance to read the whole thing, but we have the same situation around here.

I've been poking around on the Wyoming Game and Fish site wanting to hunt deer out there this coming season with some friends. While searching the other day I saw what you mention about deer and the severe drought and lack of feed on their site. Specific types of bacteria in their rumen are required to aid in the digestion of naturally occurring foods. Deer's digestive system canít adapt quickly enough to make the diet changes and supplementally fed mule deer die with stomachs full of undigested feed.

If that's the case it just seems sad to have to go out that way. Cool looking buck with some strange antler growth. Let us know what you hear back from the Game official Jen. It would be interesting to hear what killed him.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/WILDLIFE-1000398.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8ukPJosDU&feature=youtu.be

Colorado Cowboy
02-20-2013, 12:19 PM
After I read the whole story, their conclusion is that they don't supplement feed the deer in the winter. The drought I was talking about was in south central Wyoming. Yes when I was there last October it was really dry. A lot of the water holes that I was used to seeing water in were dry and the antelope numbers were way down from what I was used to seeing.

jenbickel
02-20-2013, 01:34 PM
After talking with the game warden today, he confirmed he basically died of starvation. He said that in the winter, a deers stomach cannot break down a diet of hot alfalfa and they sit there and eat it and their stomach tricks them into feeling like they are full when in reality they are not even close. So even though he was living in a hay stack which I thought was good for him, it actually ended up killing him. So sad! From now on, I'm chasing them out of the hay stacks! I got a tag for him today and so now I'm gonna probably euro mount him.

Eberle
02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Well Sis, It's a shame you lost him. But now you know what to do in the future!

hardstalk
02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Full body mount. Curled up like pic 3 and a big mouthful of sweet alfalfa!

If you shed a few tears to the taxi they might cut ya a break.

hardstalk
02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Jen I have also been meaning to ask you. What happened with the mma career? Goin 1-0 and walking out on top?

shootbrownelk
03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
So I had a deer that has been hanging out in my horse's haystack for like the past month. I took tons of pictures of him and always enjoyed seeing him. Sadly, he went to the big haystack in the sky! He had a really different rack and tomorrow the G & F is coming out to give me a tag for it and run some tests to see why he died. 51785179

I just wanted to share the pictures!

Let us know....maybe CWD? Is your area around Sheridan affected by CWD?