PDA

View Full Version : Cali hog down

Montana
02-23-2013, 09:09 PM
My aunt smoked this bruiser this morning. First harvest. She's hooked. I have to give her credit though this was about her 15 th day in the field before she got a crack at one. Worth the weight I guess.

Muleys 24/7
02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Nice hog! Congrats to her!

Fink
02-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Nice! One of these days, I'm gonna need to go shoot a pig.

Montana
02-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Kind of tough to make out but his tusk (if thats the right word) is 4 inches on the one side and snapped off on the other. And I guess, the eye, the one we can see, is completely scarred over, basically gone. He came in at 270 at the meat locker, field dressed.

Colorado Cowboy
02-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Shot a few hogs at a friends place in Texas, only 2 were boars. (usually shoot meat hogs...smaller and usually sows). Every one of the boars had broken tusks and lots of scars on their snouts. My friend told me almost all the boars down there have broken tusks, maybe because of the rocky soil and the rooting in the dirt they do. Love to shoot hogs and they are really good eating!

Ikeepitcold
02-24-2013, 08:16 AM
I smell bacon! Great Hog!

BKC
02-24-2013, 08:53 AM
I always buy pork to put in my sausage for my deer and elk. Does wild hogs have that much of a different taste that it would make for tastier sausage or less tastier sausage?

Colorado Cowboy
02-24-2013, 10:41 AM
The only hogs I've shot were in Texas and none over 225#. I butchered all except the first one myself. One thing for sure they have a lot less fat than a domestic, pen raised pig. The belly meat (which is where bacon comes from) was way too thin for bacon, so it went into sausage. I smoked the hams myself and made pork chops and spare ribs. The rest went into breakfast sausage. The meat was really great, not strong at all. That being said, I also ate some of my buddies hog that was shot in California near Paso Robles. It was a big boar, around 350#. Some of it was pretty strong. I've also heard if you want a meat pig, shoot one 200# or less and preferably a sow. Also as in all big game, how you take care of the animal after it is shot makes a difference. They are really not that easy to skin because of the fat. We cut the heads off and really let them bleed, gutted them and skinned them pretty quick. Cleaned up the meat and got them iced down. Frozen as soon as I could before leaving for home (I took a freezer and generator with me for transporting the meat back to Colorado).

Hoping to get back down there again the first week of April for hogs and Turkey.

potsie
02-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Congrats on a great hog

digger11
02-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Nice hog for sure!What part of California was she in?

Montana
02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Fresno. 30 minutes out. I do miss the pig hunting out there, but that's it:) ok, maybe the ducks and mountain quail too.

Shaun
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Killer Hog man!!

BossBrott
02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Man that's one nice pig, congrats to the hunter!

bigshot
02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Nice boar, my buddy just got back from hunting in Central Cali and their party took five pigs with hounds.

bigshot
02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Here is a picture of the pigs they bagged, I believe the fifth pig was in the truck.

JMSZ
02-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Is there an actual season for pigs in California or can you hunt them all year?

I was looking through the DFG website and I couldn't find anything that specifically stated what it was.

I'd like to get up north and/or over by the coast and hunt some pigs there.

Also, anybody here hunted on any of the winery property? A guy up by Clear Lake told us that the pigs do serious damage to the vineyards, so you'd think they'd be glad to have somebody come do some pest control for them.

Muleys 24/7
02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Is there an actual season for pigs in California or can you hunt them all year?

I was looking through the DFG website and I couldn't find anything that specifically stated what it was.

I'd like to get up north and/or over by the coast and hunt some pigs there.

Also, anybody here hunted on any of the winery property? A guy up by Clear Lake told us that the pigs do serious damage to the vineyards, so you'd think they'd be glad to have somebody come do some pest control for them.

Yes, you can hunt pigs year round, and buy as many tags as you want

JMSZ
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM

Woohoo! Thanks

Colorado Cowboy
02-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Now this is what I call a HOG!

Muleys 24/7
02-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Now this is what I call a HOG!

Hey CC, that looks like hogzilla! That one has to be farm raised, not a wild boar.

Colorado Cowboy
02-27-2013, 07:07 AM
All I know is that the picture is from Australia and the story with it was this guys dogs started disappearing and he found this monster eating one and shot it.

bigshot
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
You guys ever watch the movie Razerback, that pig from Australia kinda looks like the pig from the movie.

HuntWYODon
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM

I think only one a day though :)

HuntWYODon
02-27-2013, 01:16 PM
She shot a damn nice boar Montana ! Congrats !

Kevin Root
02-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Nice picture Montana. The sepia photo effect turned out nice. I never saw many pigs while going to school in Fresno but there sure is a lot of farm country out that way. There sure are a lot of wild pigs out here, mostly on private land though.

I'd like to try to hunt Tejon Ranch a bit south of Fresno one of these days and take my wife on a DIY hunt. I've seen pictures of some nice pigs come out of there. And you can see Elk, Deer and Pigs and more all in one day out on that place.

Colorado Cowboy
02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
I'd like to try to hunt Tejon Ranch a bit south of Fresno one of these days and take my wife on a DIY hunt. I've seen pictures of some nice pigs come out of there. And you can see Elk, Deer and Pigs and more all in one day out on that place.

When I was a kid (many years ago!), we used to sneak on the south end of the ranch and shoot quail. It was loaded with everything back then too, just didn't allow any hunting.