PDA

View Full Version : CO Unit 38

ProjectCO87
02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
I applied for the draw in Unit 38 to get on a private ranch. The ranch is a draw as well so I might get stuck hunting the entire unit to find elk. Does anyone have experience in this unit and that could be willing to share their experience?

Umpqua Hunter
02-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Hey ProjectCO87. Welcome to the site. Let us know a little bit about yourself. We hope you hang around and contribute to the site.

Take care....
UH

ProjectCO87
02-27-2013, 05:59 AM
Hey ProjectCO87. Welcome to the site. Let us know a little bit about yourself. We hope you hang around and contribute to the site.

Take care....
UH

Hi UH,

I moved out to Colorado 2 years ago from MI. The hunting out here is different than whitetail out on private property in the Midwest. I am trying to learn more of the ropes in the west with hunting in certain units while applying and building points in other units and states. I typically hunt rifle or shotgun depending on the season but just started getting into archery as well since tags are more likely to happen with a more primitive weapon. I live out in Castle Rock and I am trying to learn more about units somewhat close to the house so that I can actually scout more often. It's a pleasure joining everyone on here.

Thanks again!

Granby guy
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Unit 38 is a low success unit for both deer and elk. If you looked at the units a little further south then I think you would be much happier with your hunt.

ProjectCO87
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks! I will look at some things more south for over the counter. Appreciate the help.

In God We Trust
03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
I used to live near unit 38 and hunted that area a decent amount. It is extremely tough if you don't have access to private land. If you decide to hunt it for elk I can point you in the right direction but it is pretty crowded being so close to Denver and so easy to draw.

ProjectCO87
03-29-2013, 07:10 AM
I will mostly likely hunt the green ranch this year if I draw a permit for it which should be better for access and success rate for elk. I wanted to go and hunt deer there in archery by picking up an OTC tag. I have seen some nice mulies there but I want to get a bit away from some of the parks. Do you know of any good areas with easier car access that might be good? I don't mind packing in for a long hike to get into a nice spot. Thanks for your help. Send me a PM if you know of any specifics.