PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Archery Deer

Calbuck
03-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Ok, gurus..tell me what my NON RESIDENT odds of drawing a Nevada deer tag might be. I know it can take many years to pick up a late rifle hunt tag. I'm interested in rifle and archery but leaning toward archery as my only real chance at hunting in Nevada sooner rather than later. Any thoughts/ideas/tips to draw a northern Nevada tag would be welcome. This forum has been relatively dead and I'd like to see some activity that may help me decide where/when to hunt. I have some limited knowledge of our X zones here in California if anyone is interested in trading info.

Drhorsepower
03-01-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm interested in some x zone material. What zones are you talking about?

Calbuck
03-01-2013, 11:07 PM
I've spent some time hunting in X1 and X4. I have some limited knowledge of X3A and X3B. Know a little about the X5's. There are some good bucks to be had in Cali, they're tough to find and hunt though. Persistence pays off in this state..I'm sure that's true of any place a person hunts though! Compared to other states, I don't know if hunting in California is any different or not. :confused:

Drhorsepower
03-01-2013, 11:23 PM
If you are willing to hike, the rubys seem to be a hotspot. Archery is your best shot at a tag there.

Ikeepitcold
03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Rubys is a great spot. Cam Hanes took a great buck in there a few years ago. I've hunted by the Rubys with rifle back when I was a road/meat hunter. There are some big bucks there. You just need to get high and away from the other hunters. The deer are only there in the summer and move out before rifle season so you def want to try and get a Archery tag.

Bwht4x4
03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Calbuck,

Do you have any NV points?

Calbuck
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Don't have any points. I don't necessarily expect to draw every year, but I'd rather get out and have the opportunity to hunt vs. trying to draw a trophy unit. I'm 40 and would like the chance to hunt Nevada multiple times before I get old. Waiting 10-15-20 years for a tag is ridiculous in my opinion, so don't want to play that game if at all possible. I'd read some and heard you can draw a Rubies tag and I'd also read/heard that archery tags are much easier to draw, so looking at that option very hard right now.

Ikeepitcold
03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Rite now is the best time for you to try and draw. NDOW is giving tags away like crazy! (No good) but if you want the chance now is the time before they realize they screwed our deer heard and cut tags back to nothing.

Calbuck
03-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Ultimately, I was looking at area 6 late rifle, but I know that one will take (possibly) many years to draw. How about area 6 archery?

norcalhunter
03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
You get five choices in NV. Start with a late rifle as your first pick and work your way to archery as a 4th/ 5th pick. I drew a late season rifle hunt in the Rubies with 10 points and a late rifle in 6 last year with 1 point. It's luck of the draw!

Calbuck
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Sounds like the strategy I need to use... How was your hunt in 6?

Ikeepitcold
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Late late late. For rifle. Hope for snow and cold. You can sometimes catch the pre rut. Check the regs and absulutly call F&G and talk to the Bio.

norcalhunter
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
We only had 4 days to fill 3 tags. I wish we would have had 10 days or so. It is a huge unit and I feel we barely scratched the surface.

Calbuck
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Did you see any quality bucks? Bring any home?

norcalhunter
03-02-2013, 05:27 PM
No monsters but some decent bucks.

BigSurArcher
03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Rubys can be really good if you have the right hunting style and you are in shape. Backpack high and deep, and don't get discouraged early. I've hunted it the last 2 years in a row with rifle in the early season. I've drawn twice with 2 points, and once with 0 points. Glassed one other hunter opening morning last season, then absolutely nobody after that. You won't see many big bucks up there during that season, so when you do you have to get it done. Last 2 seasons we've seen 4 shooters and killed all of them. 27" 5x6, 25" 4x4, 24" 4x4, and a 30.5" 4x5. The next biggest buck to all of these was a spindly 18" 4x4. Glass all day and if you are in the does and small bucks, get the hell away from them. There are a ton of better hunts in Nevada but the fact that we train all year and know the Rubys well definitely gives us a leg up. I usually have a 170+ goal each time going there, and I've accomplished that 3 times in 3 hunts. Don't believe all the Ruby naysayers!

Calbuck
03-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks Bigsur..that's kind of where I'm at. I believe that if you get to know an area, even if it's not "the best" hunt zone, you can still find good bucks. I would rather spend time and money actually hunting rather than collecting points for "the best" zones..just my opinion.

Calbuck
03-17-2013, 01:48 PM
So I've decided to try for area 6 archery as my first choice in hopes of drawing it this year...we'll see what happens. I would think the highest ridges I can find would be the most likely places to start my scouting if I'm able to draw.

Drhorsepower
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Nv system is way different then Cali, what will your other choices be?

Rodzilla
03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Cant go wrong with NV, area 6 is not bad, but don't discount what has been said regarding the rubies, also take a look at the units close to Ely, there is some good hunting to be had there, although glassing with all that PJ (Pinion Juniper) is tough. Once I burn my 6 Nonresi points I will be switching to Archery as well/don't want to wait another 6 years to hunt that great state.

Drhorsepower
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Where do you live now rod?

Calbuck
03-17-2013, 05:51 PM
DrH, I'm going to put in 1. Area 6 Archery, 2. Area 221-223 Archery, 3. Area 011-013 Archery, 4. Area 6 Late Rifle, 5. Area 221-223 Late Rifle. I don't know what to expect, but maybe I'll draw. Reason behind area 6 is I am a bit familiar with that area. Rod, I think you're right, there's some good country down by Ely and Pioche and I wouldn't hesitate to go there. My dad has been down there and they saw some pretty good bucks. Don't know about archery season there, but I'd be willing to give it a shot!

Rodzilla
03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Where do you live now rod?

I live in Sacramento, CA. Actually moved from Reno after I got a job and met my wife there. I am a UNR graduate. Go Wolfpack baby! When we didn't draw tags while I was in college, all we did in the fall was go to football games, chukkar hunt, and fish pyramid. Good old days!

Cal Buck, those are not bad units, you can do some good glassing on area 6, so that would have been my first archery choice, but not so much a guaranteed tag, the rubies are a little easier draw, but a steep kick in the nuts hunt. Those wilderness areas in 221-223 are very promising if you are willing to hike in and work hard!

Ikeepitcold
03-17-2013, 07:21 PM
DrH, I'm going to put in 1. Area 6 Archery, 2. Area 221-223 Archery, 3. Area 011-013 Archery, 4. Area 6 Late Rifle, 5. Area 221-223 Late Rifle. I don't know what to expect, but maybe I'll draw. Reason behind area 6 is I am a bit familiar with that area. Rod, I think you're right, there's some good country down by Ely and Pioche and I wouldn't hesitate to go there. My dad has been down there and they saw some pretty good bucks. Don't know about archery season there, but I'd be willing to give it a shot!

Great choices. You will do great if you draw

Ikeepitcold
03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Also the same in 111 and 222. There are a lot of junipers but lots of open sage on hill sides and some burns that are easily glassed.

nvarcher
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Applications open! Actually applied before the last day its open for once!!

Calbuck
03-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Nevada charges full tag fee up front correct? Unless you go point only?

nvarcher
03-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Nevada charges full tag fee up front correct? Unless you go point only?

Nope just application fee

Drhorsepower
03-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Nope just application fee

You also have to purchase a hunting license if you wish to build points.

velvetfvr
03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
You also have to purchase a hunting license if you wish to build points.

Really? Because you can have it set up they send you your hunting license if you draw I think. Not sure since my mom does it for me! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Drhorsepower
03-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Really? Because you can have it set up they send you your hunting license if you draw I think. Not sure since my mom does it for me! Lol

Yup. You have the option to purchase the license only of you draw a tag. If you choose that option, no points.

velvetfvr
03-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Yup. You have the option to purchase the license only of you draw a tag. If you choose that option, no points.

Ok, I get it now! Makes sense.